Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashes 2023

393-8 declared, interesting.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    393-8 declared, interesting.

Bold move indeed, just shy of four hundred. Clearly he sees a chance to do some damage in the last half hour and move things more decisively in England's favour. And Broad vs Warner is of course, a great sub-plot.

Credit to England, they kept the run rate up, Bazball indeed. But they didn't quite boss it and a lot depends on their bowlers now.

Hats off to Joe Root as well, he's been and continues to be a great Test batsman.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 16-06-2023 at 05:19 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Ben Stokes is a total radge.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Ben Stokes is a total radge.
    "...He thinks he's Steve Wau-au-augh, Benny Sto-okes, he thinks he's Steve Waugh"
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Ollie Robinson exposing England's Achilles heel there, namely Ollie's left ankle.

If Robinson even loses 10-15% capacity that will undermine Stokes' strategy.

Good morning for England. Smith, Labuschagne gone with under 100 on the board is a result. Signs of Moeen getting some joy out of the wicket just before lunch too.

Khawaja gets his century (wearing a jumper! must be roasting) and is keeping the Aussies right in this.

Great day's play at Edgbaston. England had set their stall out previously, scoring at five aan over and making a bold, attacjing declaration.

Day two, reflected the competion well IMO. The morning session was clearly England's, after tea was clearly Australia. The afternoon session provided something for both sides but i am calling it slightly better for Australia and England. That's because Travis Head knocked off a quickfire 50 in 60 balla,pushing the score along nicely.

England will be frustrated that they made a really good start but now face the potential of batting again,from a likely evens position, maybe even a small deficit. The new ball will be around fifteen overs old when we resume so that advantage is diminishing rapidly.

Disappointing afternoon today with the rain but the Aussies still somehow managed to squeeze in those 2 wickets. Monday will be fascinating and weather looks better. Looks as if could be more rain Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreForward View Post
    Disappointing afternoon today with the rain but the Aussies still somehow managed to squeeze in those 2 wickets. Monday will be fascinating and weather looks better. Looks as if could be more rain Tuesday.
    Yeah, for me today's winners were anyone who didn't have a bet on England to win.

The weather is in doubt for day five so it could easily go to a draw, but we are now essentially in a shoot-out, one innings each. Australia hold the advantage already taking two England wickets, plus Moeen looks like he may have done something to his spinning figure. He's bowled more than 30 overs in two days, with only four maidens - having barely touched a redball in a long time, it's hardly a surprise. Throw in Robinson, Anderson and Stokes - all always one delivery away from a trip to A+E and you can see where their vulnerabilities lie.

On the subject of Robinson, it is good to see that England's succession planning is bearing fruit. They can now claim to have a new weapons-grade throbber to take over from Stuart Broad. He was pretty graceless with Khawaja and didn't redeem himself in the post-match interview.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 18-06-2023 at 11:43 PM.

Given up watching it. England fans with their booing and tiresome chants have turned this into a PDC darts event.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Given up watching it. England fans with their booing and tiresome chants have turned this into a PDC darts event.
    Thats a shame because it is gripping stuff. I’ve been to a fair number of Test venues and Edgbaston and Headingley can be a bit iffy, from mid-afternoon onwards, particularly on a Saturday. Early beers, too much sunshine is a bad combination and in the likes of the Hollies or the Western Terrace the cricket becomes a sideshow. They are also the spots that tend to be most likely to cross the line from full-voiced support into unpleasantness.

On the basis of the first 4 days of this test, the series could be epic. Both sides are so evenly matched.

Great day's cricket, full of ebbs and flows. England started the day with one intention, rattle off the runs to give themselves a cushion to try and bowl the Aussies out. And to a large extent they did that. The middle order coughed up the runs, despite some fine bowling, from Cummins and Lyon in particular to get the hosts up to 273 all out.

And so to the Australians, needing 281 with four sessions to play with. 281 is a not insignificant run-chase in the fourth innings, but many, including me, would feel it was their match to lose now. By the end of the day that has all changed - England perhaps ahead by the slightest of margins, but it is tiny and that reflects a belter of a contest.

England's reason to be cheerful is they have removed Labuschagne and Smith early-doors (IIRC Smith tends to grow into Ashes series though, so England should beware!). However, it is clear that Moeen isn't bowling right and it is also clear that Anderson and Robinson are not providing a cutting edge, at least so far, leaving it all on Broad. There's no new ball for 50 overs yet and the Aussies have enough batting to chase down their target.

My original prediction was a draw, edging to Australia. I think tomorrow may give us Australia, edging towards a draw. It depends on the rain, which will be heavy during the night and first thing in the morning, giving way to showers becoming less frequent as the day continues. They may simply run out of time for a decisive result, but if the weather is kind I fancy Australia to score 174 runs more than I fancy England to take seven wickets.

And finally, Test cricket is so much the product of many miniature battles, many cameos. Big praise to Scott Boland who was sent in as nightwatchman and surpassed his previous Test high score, now proudly sitting on 13 not out. And kudos to David Warner, who managed to score some runs on English soil and not be bowled by Stuart Broad. His 36 from 57 balls will hopefully be a breakthrough innings for him to play as sumptiously as he can play.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 19-06-2023 at 10:59 PM.

No play until at least 1310.

Broad's annoying headband is enough for me to be rooting for the Aussies.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Broad's annoying headband is enough for me to be rooting for the Aussies.

I didn't think he could elevate his roaster-ness until he started wearing that bandanna. His little gestures and celebrations when he takes a wicket also contribute to him being an interstellar rocket.

Cricket-wise, the Aussies could have done without losing Head there. Big onus on Khawaja, Carey and Cummins now,

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

I didn't think he could elevate his roaster-ness until he started wearing that bandanna. His little gestures and celebrations when he takes a wicket also contribute to him being an interstellar rocket.

Cricket-wise, the Aussies could have done without losing Head there. Big onus on Khawaja, Carey and Cummins now,
    And Cammy Green! Especially Cammy Green!

Things have just got interesting, 209-7.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Things have just got interesting, 209-7.

Test cricket in all its glory.

If Carey is not out at the end it's probably a draw (even an Aussie win), if he gets out that should be enough for an England win, it's enthralling stuff though. I'm watching it in a boozer in Musselburgh, doubt they watch too many test matches in Sportsman's! 😉

New ball could be decisive.

I think that that pretty much covers everything 🙂
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 20-06-2023 at 05:11 PM.

Let's get Carey! Let's get Carey! 🙂

Pendulum swings again. 😯

Going right to the wire this one
    .. 3 results still possible!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post
    Going right to the wire this one
    .. 3 results still possible!
    4?

Glad that I never had a bet. 🙂

That's a magical moment, after five fantastic days!

I've been a Pat Cummins fan for a long time and I am absolutely delighted for him (and nice that it came off Robinson's bowling!).

A lot to absorb from that match, and Lords isn't far away.

For now it's the tourists one, Bazball nil

Onto Scotland now.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Proper test match cricket and exactly why 5 day cricket is and always will be the best form of the game

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Not even a cricket fan but I was glued to the last couple of hours of that