hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

PGA, DPD & LIV Tours to merge

Didn't see this happening - who would have thought!

https://sports.yahoo.com/pga-tour-li...pO_EcCFtN1Jg47

2. Log in to remove the advert

Money talks

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Not really relevant here but I find it crazy that they can clearly have a lot of talks with no leaks, leading to an out of the blue announcement.

Really shows our politicians up, whose self interest appears to constantly trump everything.
    Last edited by Smartie; 06-06-2023 at 03:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Both the PGA tour and DP world tour are supposed to be player run/led. That’s clearly not the case as nobody has had any input. from either side.
    It all had an inevitability about it from day one to be Honest.
    The sanctimonious corporate ******s that run the sport and I include the players in this really boils my piss. The Saudi PIF was the spawn of Satan just a few weeks ago but now it’s the saviour.

So will the tour drastically change given this deal? Take it the majors will remain the same? Haven’t followed the whole LIV thing fully but this was a bit of a shock

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So will the tour drastically change given this deal? Take it the majors will remain the same? Haven’t followed the whole LIV thing fully but this was a bit of a shock
    There are an awful lot of unanswered questions at this stage.

The first questions they’ll need to answer will be those from the PGA players who turned down eyewatering sums of blood money to remain loyal to the PGA tour.

I think it’s important to note it’s the commercial merge involving PIF and its chair being in charge of both entities. They may survive alongside each other rather than a full blown merge. It’s a commercial merge if you like. Only one will survive long term in terms of top dog or even survive at all. Why would you find two tours rather than have one mega tour?
    Last edited by greenlex; 08-06-2023 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I think it’s important to note it’s the commercial merge involving PIF and its chair being in charge of both entities. They may survive alongside each other rather than a full blown merge. It’s a commercial merge if you like. Only one will survive long term in terms of top dog or even survive at all. Why would you find two tours rather than have one mega tour?
    Is there a case for SFA and SPFL merging? Not sure if you can compare them but I agree you’d think one governing body would be the ideal

Is there a case for SFA and SPFL merging? Not sure if you can compare them but I agree you’d think one governing body would be the ideal
    Probably. The SFA govern the game in Scotland and the SPFL run it.
    A bit like the R&A/USGA govern world golf but the PGA tour and DP World tour for the majority run the professional game.
    It would make sense for one entity to govern and run each sport in their jurisdictions.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Rory and his mates have been thrown right under the bus, there was a lot of bad blood but it's now made it a whole lot worse.

Who does not like a millionaires cat fight?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Rory and his mates have been thrown right under the bus, there was a lot of bad blood but it's now made it a whole lot worse.

Do get his anger though. He’d stayed loyal to the tour and they’ve absolutely blindsided him and others who didn’t join LIV. Put himself out there in the media when he could have just joined LIV and made a ton of money this last year. Although I don’t think money is his main motivation.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Do get his anger though. He’d stayed loyal to the tour and they’ve absolutely blindsided him and others who didn’t join LIV. Put himself out there in the media when he could have just joined LIV and made a ton of money this last year. Although I don’t think money is his main motivation.

He was never offered a deal to go to LIV though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs90 View Post
    I’m sure he could have joined if he wanted too. If he knew this was coming I’m sure he’d have preferred to join a year ago and make more money

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs90 View Post
    Absolutely no question Rory Mcilroy could have taken millions to join LIV. Maybe he never was officially offered a deal as he went on record quick enough telling them to **** off.

He’d have been top 3, if not top, on their hit list to get onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Have they? It could be a case of the LIV tour players have been the ones under the bus. A well compensated one it has to be said. If the PGA Tour make it difficult for them to rejoin they might end up on the DP World tour as LiV will inevitably fold.
    PIF have what they wanted all along and that was a seat at the big boys table.

@hibs.net private member MountcastleHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CBacke
    Jon Rahm joins LIV 🤯
    You found your God in a paper back, you get your history from the Union Jack, and all your brothers and sisters have gone and they won't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by MountcastleHibs View Post
    Jon Rahm joins LIV 🤯
    It's a weird feeling I get when someone leaves the PGA tour to join LIV - a sense of disgust, betrayal and revulsion which really isn't proportionate to my "love" of PGA tour golf.

It was the same when Cam Smith did it, but pretty much anyone who still has something meaningful to offer the game of golf.

TBF I can understand why the has beens would be tempted by the money but it's galling to see credible players sell their legacy, especially when instead of simply stating that the money was too good to turn down that they expect us to swallow that they actually think they're growing the game or that the world really needs LIV's utterly pish team format.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Cantley and Schauffele will be the next targets I'd imagine
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

It will inevitably lead to a world tour. Said it a couple of years ago and it is still my belief.
    probably one big tournament a month based around the existing majors and probably the players somewhere in the workd with all the worlds best players playing at least 8 or 9 of the big ones. World ranking points and system adjusted round it. Other “lesser’” tournaments fitted in around it with monthly mini swings for ease of travel.
    Last edited by greenlex; 09-12-2023 at 08:48 AM.

It will inevitably lead to a world tour. Said it a couple of years ago and it is still my belief.
    probably one big tournament a month based around the existing majors and probably the players somewhere in the workd with all the worlds best players playing at least 8 or 9 of the big ones. World ranking points and system adjusted round it. Other “lesser’” tournaments fitted in around it with monthly mini swings for ease of travel.
    Which would be much more interesting. I really enjoy watching the "European" Tour venues (as opposed to samey PGA) for the wide diversity of golf course type and scenery. But with the world's best playing it would be even better.

And here's me fighting tooth and nail in bounce games to win the humble pound on front nine, back nine and game.

The game of golf throws up many different challenges to many different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    And here's me fighting tooth and nail in bounce games to win the humble pound on front nine, back nine and game.

The game of golf throws up many different challenges to many different people.

I thought a man of your calibre would be getting appearance money GB. You need to change management teams.

I thought a man of your calibre would be getting appearance money GB. You need to change management teams.
    I'll mention your suggestion tomorrow but the admins will prevent me from posting the response and I don't want to be banned. 😄