hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ethan Laidlaw leaving Hibs

Sorry to see that Ethan Laidlaw is leaving this summer.
    Does anyone know the circumstances?
    He is a player that’s had a lot of admirers.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Billy big boots apparently

Disappointing. Looked the best of the bunch in the youth team and the stand out in the Dortmund game. Don't know if he's gone because he wants more money or more game time. We don't particularly give youth much of a chance at Hibs these days, rightly or wrongly.
    Assume we'll get a token development fee

Probably just the latest in a long line of Kurtis Byrne like characters?!

Can't we just wish the laddie good luck in his future career? For whatever reason, he's not had chances here so I don't blame him for seeking opportunity elsewhere. No idea if he'll make it but from my very limited viewing of him, he's strong and knows where the goal is so he has a chance.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Shame really I wonder if the boy has been badly advised, if the management did not fully appreciate the obvious untapped potential that he displayed against Dortmund or if he has a serious attitude problem ?

Wish him every success for the future

@hibs.net private member
    I think the lad is out of contract and declined to sign a new one. I assume better terms were offered elsewhere as if rumours are true, that he’s going to Watford, it’ll not be in search of first team football. Would’ve liked to have seen him get a chance at Hibs but the bottom line is that if these kids aren’t good enough we can’t just throw them on for sentimental reasons. We’ve played the likes of Porteous and Doig as teenagers so if they’re good enough at that age they’d get a shot I’m sure🤷🏼 I am concerned about the lack of number of our youth/development teams that ultimately break through into our first team squad though. We must’ve invested huge resources in our pathway but the return has been minimal over the past few years.

Coaching Staff
    I wish him well

Hardly a shock that a youngster decides to leave his club these days when he is 18 and came up through the youth ranks.

His choice.

We shall see whether it was a good or bad move in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't we just wish the laddie good luck in his future career? For whatever reason, he's not had chances here so I don't blame him for seeking opportunity elsewhere. No idea if he'll make it but from my very limited viewing of him, he's strong and knows where the goal is so he has a chance.
    Correct. The comments from some are poor.

Real shame, I rated him. Definitely looked a standout in the youth side, probably him and Blaney, maybe Megwa and Johnstone too.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Only seen him play once (Dortmund game) and he looked really good.

For the sake of Scottish football, I hope he develops into a top class player.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post
    Disappointing. Looked the best of the bunch in the youth team and the stand out in the Dortmund game. Don't know if he's gone because he wants more money or more game time. We don't particularly give youth much of a chance at Hibs these days, rightly or wrongly.
    Assume we'll get a token development fee
    Is there anything in the development fee system that means we get a sell on clause? Would much rather have 20% of his transfer fee than some meagre development fee.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Is there anything in the development fee system that means we get a sell on clause? Would much rather have 20% of his transfer fee than some meagre development fee.
    I think if we offered him a contract, we’d be due a fee of some sorts

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Not seen enough of the kid to genuinely know what potential he has however certainly looked physically the most capable player of progressing in the Dortmund game. Hope it works out well for him.

First Team Breakthrough
    Anyone know why we have literally no youngsters in and around the first team? Was the last one Porteous?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calidad View Post
    Anyone know why we have literally no youngsters in and around the first team? Was the last one Porteous?
    Assuming they are considered not good enough yet. Good that players like Johnson Aiken and Josh OC going out on loan next season. Up to them to get game time and prove the are good enough. Didn't appear to be anywhere near enough games this season at their current level for them.

@hibs.net private member
    Almost every player that has came through at hibs from the youths has proved it on loan first. All of Ethans team mates that were offered a contract have signed and agreed a loan. If they do well against the adults they will get their chance as they always have at Hibs. Ethan obviously doesn't want to do that, for his case I hope he's right. No others have left at his age and went on to better so a big call for him to refuse our contract

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    I was speaking to some scouts of other clubs a couple of weeks ago, and they’d all said he was off to Arsenal - whether that’s pish or not I have no idea. 3 of them mentioned it ( or one did and the other two said they heard the same)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m coming round to the way of thinking that we bin the whole youth set up.

The way finances are now, anybody half decent is likely to be whisked off either to the OF or England, leaving us with the ones least likely to be of much use.

We’re probably best focusing on salvaging the likes of Laidlaw when they’re binned a few years further down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

The way finances are now, anybody half decent is likely to be whisked off either to the OF or England, leaving us with the ones least likely to be of much use.

We’re probably best focusing on salvaging the likes of Laidlaw when they’re binned a few years further down the line.
    Mixed feelings about that as on one hand I agree but at the same time if clubs aren't bringing through youngsters then what for the future of Scottish football and the National Team.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Can’t get too worked up about this. He’ll be away down south for more cash, fair play to him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltonHibee View Post
    I was speaking to some scouts of other clubs a couple of weeks ago, and they’d all said he was off to Arsenal - whether that’s pish or not I have no idea. 3 of them mentioned it ( or one did and the other two said they heard the same)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would be surprised. He'll be 19 in 6 months and not played against adults. Saying that English teams chuck crazy money at the youths knowing almost all won't make it worth them. I'd heard he'd talked to a Scottish championship club but probably wasn't taking it. Good luck to him wherever he goes but I'd think English youth football would be the wrong path

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    Mixed feelings about that as on one hand I agree but at the same time if clubs aren't bringing through youngsters then what for the future of Scottish football and the National Team.

It’s actually the total opposite of what I like and what I’d want Hibs to do in a remotely ideal world (also partly for the reasons you highlight) but rather it feels like the best way for Hibs to achieve success in the current climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post

I’m pretty sure that if you don’t have a youth system, you can’t compete in european comps, i’m sure someone knows better than me.
    However UEFA are introducing new conditions every year, about youth players having to be involved in european squads, and a percentage of these players must be from the teams country.
    Therefore we cannot bin our youth system.
    The other main point is, mainly kids male and female, that go through the system feel an affinity with the club, including some of their parents.
    The club are entwined more in the community, and we are after all a community club.
    Imagine hibs didn’t have a youth system, and hearts picked up all the decent local kids. 🤔

@hibs.net private member
    Obviously wasn’t too arsed about staying, as most of the other lads except him signed the 2 year deals offered. Good luck wherever you go you pup 👍🏼

It’s actually the total opposite of what I like and what I’d want Hibs to do in a remotely ideal world (also partly for the reasons you highlight) but rather it feels like the best way for Hibs to achieve success in the current climate.
    Yeah I agree with that.

Picking up youngsters that are let go by bigger clubs and invest that money we save on the first team seems a better idea.

And like you say in an ideal world we wouldn't but what we get from it dosen't cover what we spend and that money can go on the first team instead.

Quote Originally Posted by HIBS NUTS View Post
    I’m pretty sure that if you don’t have a youth system, you can’t compete in european comps, i’m sure someone knows better than me.
    However UEFA are introducing new conditions every year, about youth players having to be involved in european squads, and a percentage of these players must be from the teams country.
    Therefore we cannot bin our youth system.
    The other main point is, mainly kids male and female, that go through the system feel an affinity with the club, including some of their parents.
    The club are entwined more in the community, and we are after all a community club.
    Imagine hibs didn’t have a youth system, and hearts picked up all the decent local kids. 🤔
    Was it not St Johnstone who axed their youth system, instead focusing on signing players for their first team?

Or maybe they just operate with the bare minimum required to allow them to function normally ie play in Europe etc?

This isn't happening, though. If it actually started happening, fair enough, but its not.

Hard to believe he wouldn't have offered more than McKirdy had he been given the opportunity.

Was it not St Johnstone who axed their youth system, instead focusing on signing players for their first team?

Or maybe they just operate with the bare minimum required to allow them to function normally ie play in Europe etc?
    To be fair, i think st johnstone mainly operate on not getting relegated each season, rather than being worried about competing in Europe.
    Hibs should be looking to be in europe every season. 👍🏻