hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Unfair and Unreasonable Bank Charges

Has anyone received a refund from their bank for historic bank charges on overdrafts?
    Out of the blue I received a letter from my bank telling me that they had looked at charges on my account back to 2012 and decided they were unfair and unreasonable and are refunding the charges plus 8% interest for every year! They are paying me over 2k back, all instigated by them and nothing I have claimed for or even contacted them about.

And yes it is genuine and not a scam.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone received a refund from their bank for historic bank charges on overdrafts?
    Out of the blue I received a letter from my bank telling me that they had looked at charges on my account back to 2012 and decided they were unfair and unreasonable and are refunding the charges plus 8% interest for every year! They are paying me over 2k back, all instigated by them and nothing I have claimed for or even contacted them about.

Is this on a personal or business account ?

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Is this on a personal or business account ?
    Personal account.

Interesting.

Which bank are you with?

I remember leaving the Bank of Scotland in about 2009 and going to the Clydesdale Bank. I left the BoS during the crash time as they'd pulled my overdraft overnight, an overdraft that was a few grand at that point and it chucked me into a bit of trouble when none really existed.

The Clydesdale welcomed me with open arms (I had a decent job in those days) and agreed to take my overdraft on at a rate of 2%. 2 months later they jacked the rate up to 10% and it stayed there as long as I was with them.

Eventually I left them and went back to the BoS (I bought my own business in 2010, it would be fair to say I've had mixed fortunes in business but many of them stemming from either mistakes or crazy pieces of judgment from the Clydesdale Bank) but I shelled out a LOT of interest over those years.

So it would be nice if they decided to give me something back.

Quote Originally Posted by smartie View Post
    interesting.

Which bank are you with?

I remember leaving the bank of scotland in about 2009 and going to the clydesdale bank. I left the bos during the crash time as they'd pulled my overdraft overnight, an overdraft that was a few grand at that point and it chucked me into a bit of trouble when none really existed.

The clydesdale welcomed me with open arms (i had a decent job in those days) and agreed to take my overdraft on at a rate of 2%. 2 months later they jacked the rate up to 10% and it stayed there as long as i was with them.

Eventually i left them and went back to the bos (i bought my own business in 2010, it would be fair to say i've had mixed fortunes in business but many of them stemming from either mistakes or crazy pieces of judgment from the clydesdale bank) but i shelled out a lot of interest over those years.

So it would be nice if they decided to give me something back.
    tsb

tsb

my wife has had a similar letter over the weekend, she’s tsb as well

I think banks are preempting a lot of issues to avoid another PPI situation.

I got a cheque the other week because of mismanagement of an ISA. Similar to you, a cheque, a breakdown of the amount plus interest and completely without any instigation from me.

This was RBS.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I could find myself suddenly wealthy if it's money back for overdraft use!!!

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    I’ve changed address that many times I’m not sure if any letter would reach me. Would they go by electoral roll to find you?
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    I’ve changed address that many times I’m not sure if any letter would reach me. Would they go by electoral roll to find you?
    Surely your bank has your current address?

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Surely your bank has your current address?
    It would be banks from years ago mate.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    It would be banks from years ago mate.
    👍

@hibs.net private member
    There's an article on MSE that might be useful.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...rges/#category

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’m with nationwide and they’re giving everyone £100 for nothing and they don’t have any bank charges on my account. Best bank I’ve ever been with.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’m with nationwide and they’re giving everyone £100 for nothing and they don’t have any bank charges on my account. Best bank I’ve ever been with.
    Me too..... I like the ' you can opt out' option and turn the cash down.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk