hibs.net Messageboard

Growing your own vegetables

Every year I plant a few potatoes , onions and peas . This year my potatoes are Queen's , Casablanca's, kerrs pinks , rooster's , Sharpe's express and Maris Pipers as well . I'm hoping to add one more different type of potato as well .

I have tried growing cabbage without any luck as they always get ate before I get to them . I've not really tried growing other Vegetables though I am interested if you do and what you have planted and if you have any tips on growing your own vegetables . Doesn't matter how small a crop either or what they are 👍

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every year I plant a few potatoes , onions and peas . This year my potatoes are Queen's , Casablanca's, kerrs pinks , rooster's , Sharpe's express and Maris Pipers as well . I'm hoping to add one more different type of potato as well .

I have tried growing cabbage without any luck as they always get ate before I get to them . I've not really tried growing other Vegetables though I am interested if you do and what you have planted and if you have any tips on growing your own vegetables . Doesn't matter how small a crop either or what they are 👍
    Young cabbage grow well in East Lothian

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post

I have tried growing cabbage without any luck as they always get ate before I get to them . I've not really tried growing
    other Vegetables though I am interested if you do and what you have planted and if you have any tips on growing your own vegetables . Doesn't matter how small a crop either or what they are 👍
    Garden peas and carrots are easy and fast grow. Cabbages do well in containers , off the ground to keep the slugs away.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Courgettes go mental, can't pick them fast enough!

Got 2 different potato, courgettes, little yellow squash, onions, red cabbage, carrots and salad leaves. Tomatoes in the greenhouse.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by AK86 View Post
    Garden peas and carrots are easy and fast grow. Cabbages do well in containers , off the ground to keep the slugs away.
    Peas and onions always grow well for me , never had any success with cabbages though probably container's are a good idea .Did have a man tell me this year he puts pots of marigold flowers around his cabbage bed which he said helps .

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Courgettes go mental, can't pick them fast enough!

Got 2 different potato, courgettes, little yellow squash, onions, red cabbage, carrots and salad leaves. Tomatoes in the greenhouse.
    Tomatoes is something I've always wanted to try , mainly do potatoes over the years and try different varieties while sticking to the ones like Queens and pinks . Tried one called ' Cara ' last year and i wasn't really impressed with them in fairness .

I have a small greenhouse where I grow tomato’s (Tumbling Toms).
    I also grow cucumber and courgettes.
    Last year I started sweetcorn in the greenhouse then moved them into the garden when it got warmer. Surprisingly easy to grow.
    I have the usual suspects in the garden such as rhubarb, apples, various beans, peas and berries with a small potato patch for Maris Puper.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Got Red Baron onions planted (after digging them
    Up and replanting - see the thread on the Holy Ground).

I’m about to plant some Pentland Javelin potatoes and will plant some Sarpo Mira as my main crop.

Got some aubergine, minibel cherry tomatoes, some plum tomatoes, chillis, sweet peppers, crown Prince squash, cavolo Nero kale and courgette started inside in a combination of traditional seedling starting and hydroponics methods.

Edit: forgot about the mangetout I bought from Lidl that’s now out in a trellis planter
    Last edited by overdrive; 27-04-2023 at 10:14 PM.