hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hole-in one, and other perfect game claimants

Does Hibs.net contain any Hole-in-one claimants?

I've never been the best golfer in the world. My personal record score is 99 around Craigentinny Golf Course in 2005. This is the first and only time I ever went round an 18-hole golf course in less than one hundred.

At other sports, I have never made the nine-dart finish. Not even a 180.
    At snooker, I have never made a 147. Never made a full ball clearance. Not even a century. Nothing even close.
    At ten-pin bowling I have made a few strikes, but never made "the perfect game".
    At boxing, or any other type of martial art, I have never achieved the KO.

I am however a "break and run" claimant. I claim that in a pub in England in 1996 I made the "break and run" whilst playing pool for a fiver. It was thoroughly satisfying and the reaction from my opponent and other witnesses was quite comical.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ak%20and%20run
    In pocketbilliard such as 8-Ball or 9-Ball where you break up the balls and run them out for the win, never letting your opponent get up to the table for a shot.
    So, if you have ever made a "hole-in-one", or have a sporting achievement that is the equivalent of the golfing hole-in-one, then please make your claim here.

Albatross claimants also welcome.
    Last edited by Edina Street; 23-04-2023 at 08:34 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Hole in 1 on the Ps4 (Tiger Woods)
    Highest score playing snooker is about 19
    Im absolute **** at darts
    1 goal in 15 years playing amateur football, it was worth it though as I scored from my own half to get us a 3-2 win over the Busy Bee pub 🤣

You can see that I was never destined to be a professional at any sports 😀

@hibs.net private member
    A team effort but my youth football team won every single game in a season. Every league game and every cup including the Scottish.

I’ve only really played football and golf (badly) so I’ve probably not got any other claims of perfection other than that!

2 holes in one a very long time ago on a real golf course.
    4 cyber holes in one more recently 😆
    A hat trick of hat tricks (9 goals) in a proper league game of football.
    Scored at least one goal in each game over 3 seasons.
    I could sink a pint in less than 5 seconds!
    Space to let

Never had a hole in one, never had a 147 and never had a 9 dart finish. I have hit a 180 a couple of times and I’ve had a few home runs playing baseball. Scored a lot of goals in amateur football but so would rowan vine probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hole in one at the 5th at Lundin Links about 30 years ago. Sandwiched in between a 7 and a 6 🙂.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    My proudest achievement in sport would be 1st place in a cross country ski race in Bavaria with over 50 participants.

I played football at Landesliga level in Berlin but never won anything. I thought for years that I was fairly decent until a mate compiled a video for my 40th showing me slicing, hacking and thumping opponents in tackles that had more in common with WWF than football.

I won my regimental Middleweight boxing competition after coming 2nd the year before but failed dismally after beefing up to Heavyweight after our team lost our Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight boxers.

I was fairly decent at darts but only ever played for beers, managed 180 a few times but too inconsistent to say I'm good.

Bang average at pool or snooker.

Only started playing golf at 45 so will never be great but regularly break 90 but have never managed to break 80. Nearest I got to a hole in one was about 2ft in Northern Ireland, but I've still not given up hope of getting an ace one day.

Broke 5 ribs on a ski-jump a few years back so my hopes of becoming the next Eddie the Eagle were dashed before they begun.

I played squash regularly but had to conclude that I'm pretty ***** at games involving bats, sticks and racquets where the ball is moving.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Been playing golf for over 50 years and never had a hole in one, hit the pin lipped out but that’s as close as I’ve been, if I ever get one then that’ll be the day I give up golf. Once went birdie, birdie, par, birdie, eagle on the first 5 holes at West Lothian golf club and never finished my round. Can’t remember why I didn’t probably had a nose bleed.

Had 7 fights as an amateur boxer. Won 6 with 1 KO, lost the 7th and got properly battered and never wanted to go through it again. I was fairly handy but not really elite and so it was proven.

Decent goalkeeper at a good level but again not really good enough to make it.

Terrible golfer, just don't have the patience for it. Below average pool and snooker player. Had a 140 in darts but that was a bit of a fluke.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Once hit two 180's in succession, but one was in a leg that the opponent was already on a double out and the next was the first throw in the next leg. A 180 in itself is an achievement.

A pro golfer has odds of 12000-1 on making a hole in one. So it's unlikely there will be more than 1 or 2 at most on here.

The closest I've come is hitting the pin, and on other occasions it stopping beside the hole - not that close that it was hanging over but close enough to get your heart racing.

My worst fear is hitting a hole in one playing as a one ball

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Crown green bowls, as a fresh faced 16 year old came from 10 nil down in my first ever club final to win the trophy with a 21-10 victory. My opponent who had told everyone before we stepped on the green that he had the trophy on his mantelpiece already, stormed off and left as soon as the game was over. I won plenty as a crown green bowler but none more satisfying than that day.

Loved to play golf but hopeless at it.

I smashed my schools 1500 metres record in my final year, apparently it stood for over ten years.
    My time however has been long forgotten, not helped by me lopping off a few seconds every time I told the story. I had to stop that when I realised I was getting close to Olympic qualifying standard.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I smashed my schools 1500 metres record in my final year, apparently it stood for over ten years.
    My time however has been long forgotten, not helped by me lopping off a few seconds every time I told the story. I had to stop that when I realised I was getting close to Olympic qualifying standard.
    I've got a pilot mate who tells the story about an emergency landing after a bird strike. At first it was pigeons and I think we're now at albatrosses.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Hole in one. Hit it perfectly too, on a hard dog leg to the left, went up and down a little slope and through a door at the base of the lighthouse.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I had a hole in one at Turnhouse on the 11th.

I didn't see it go in because the green was uphill and protected by bunkers, and I didn't get to take it out of the hole because a playing partner did it. Still raging!

I went round the first 9 at Turnhouse in scratch once. I'm unlikely to play the first one in scratch these days! 😃

I once scored 6 in an 8-0 win at the Gyle.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I won 2 pencils for dancing in primary 3.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I’ve got a Burns certificate from primary school, for reciting “The Sair Finger”
    No idea why it was included as Burns didn’t write it

I scored a sudden death penalty to win the league for my team.

It was a Uni league - 2 leagues of 10 teams, top 2 go through to play semis, then a final.

Our final had finished all square, as did extra time. We got the volunteers for the penalties, somebody bravely said they’d take the next one if it was still even, so I mumbled something (making no eye contact with anyone) about taking the 7th.

First 5 came and went, all square. Then both players who took the first sudden death penalties missed and I realised that since we were taking ours second, I might have to score a penalty just to keep us in it.

As luck would have it, they missed theirs so I had a penalty to win the league. I’d never been a penalty taker, was playing CH at that time, and didn’t really know what to do so I just eyed the goalkeeper’s left then thumped it with all I had with my right foot the other way and it had enough about it for it to get past the goalkeeper - who went the right way - and in.

The celebration was of the Lewis Stevenson type as I’d never really ever expected to find myself in that situation.

Quite nice being a bit of a hero for my team mates for a change though as I’ve generally been sub-mediocre at every sport I’ve ever attempted. A few drinks were enjoyed that night.
    Last edited by Smartie; 23-04-2023 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    I won 2 pencils for dancing in primary 3.
    I can only apologise for finding that hilarious. I don’t even know why.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I scored a sudden death penalty to win the league for my team.

It was a Uni league - 2 leagues of 10 teams, top 2 go through to play semis, then a final.

Our final had finished all square, as did extra time. We got the volunteers for the penalties, somebody bravely said they’d take the next one if it was still even, so I mumbled something (making no eye contact with anyone) about taking the 7th.

First 5 came and went, all square. Then both players who took the first sudden death penalties missed and I realised that since we were taking ours second, I might have to score a penalty just to keep us in it.

As luck would have it, they missed theirs so I had a penalty to win the league. I’d never been a penalty taker, was playing CH at that time, and didn’t really know what to do so I just eyed the goalkeeper’s left then thumped it with all I had with my right foot the other way and it had enough about it for it to get past the goalkeeper - who went the right way - and in.

The celebration was of the Lewis Stevenson type as I’d never really ever expected to find myself in that situation.

Quite nice being a bit of a hero for my team mates for a change though as I’ve generally been sub-mediocre at every sport I’ve ever attempted. A few drinks were enjoyed that night.
    Many years ago the team I was playing for lost a league decider against Berwick Rangers on a Wednesday night. They beat us 2-0 and we then had to play them in 2 cup finals on consecutive weekends.

I had been injured and the other keeper had played well in my absence and I'd been kicking my heels on the bench for a few weeks. However he had a bad night in the league game. He was a bag of nerves for reasons I don't really understand as he was more than competent. Anyway I got told on the Friday morning I was playing in the final on the Friday night after about 10 weeks out. I had played well and we were 1-0 up with a couple of minutes to play. They got a free kick 25 yards out. One of my best mates took it, curled an absolute beauty right into the top corner and turned away to celebrate; I somehow got across and got a touch on it, knocked it onto the post and then saved the rebound which was smashed from about 5 yards out

It was nice to be the hero for once as usually when a keeper is singled out it's because they have made a mistake.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I once scored a goal from inside my own teams box on the wee pitch at letham as a kid, almighty clearance that bounced over the goalies heid as he was about 4 foot tall and we were playing in full size goals

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I’ve got a Burns certificate from primary school, for reciting “The Sair Finger”
    No idea why it was included as Burns didn’t write it
    I've always wondered that myself. I think it was a Burns' day primary school staple - see also The Puddock, and Conductress.

To add one of my best golfing moments was breaking 100 at Muirfield at the 3rd attempt, a stunning 81! Same as Tiger Woods at the same venue in 2002. His worst round ever in a tournament 😆
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I once made a break of 7 in snooker. Red, blue, red.

I’ve never excelled at any sports. I played at East End Park a couple of times when they used to rent it out, I knew I wasn’t going to score but I did manage to achieve my goal of clearing a ball into the stand.

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    I've always wondered that myself. I think it was a Burns' day primary school staple - see also The Puddock, and Conductress.
    Also “wee rid motor”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Hole in one. Hit it perfectly too, on a hard dog leg to the left, went up and down a little slope and through a door at the base of the lighthouse.
    this deserved a better response than it got.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    First ever hole in one last year after about 65+ years of trying.

Had one hat trick at football. As a goalie, 3 clean sheets on the trot.

Cricket. On a Yorkshire tour, took the wicket of a guy who played one level below the County. To be honest, it was a rubbish ball that resulted in a fantastic slip catch. Also, on a charity match I should have taken the wicket of a Scotland B International, but our wicketkeeper dropped a dolly catch.

Snooker, Pool, Darts - no comment, it would be too embarrassing.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I've had two hole in ones: the first at the 15th at Harburn - hit the ball a little right off the tee, as there's a wee embankment at the right side of the green - came down from there and rolled into the hole. Second one was at the opening hole at Piperdam, just outside Dundee. Hit it perfectly, right at the flag, one bounce and right in.

Quite sure both rounds were otherwise totally forgettable!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Also, as a youth leader, I told the group of 8-11 year olds that in the summer just passed(it was late 1980s) I had played against the Hearts and beaten them, and that their team had included guys like Henry Smith John Robertson and Walter Kidd. They were well impressed..... until I told them that it was at cricket 🏏