hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Food you just couldn't eat

Came across this and couldn't believe people actually eat this , rather them than me 😁.
    https://youtu.be/vZ_-JzM-YQg

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Was in Sicily last summer and a big thing there is spleen sandwiches cooked on a BBQ.

Couldn’t bring myself to try one.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I normally pride myself on being able to try anything in reason, if it looks like a steak or mince I will give it a bash, I tried all sorts when Khublai Khan's was open down Leith

When I was in Fazenda me and my pals got offered a Chicken heart and it looked like what you'd expect, I put it in my mouth and just couldn't bring myself to chew it or eat it at all, turns out I'm not that adventurous after all

@hibs.net private member
    Will try most things, tried bugs in South East Asia a few times and not squeamish but they weren't nice. Had the chicken hearts and your not missing much, had lamb brain in Turkey and it was pretty rotten too

Celery is the devil though

@hibs.net private member
    Tripe. Even the smell makes me want to hork.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Want to try this. The smell of my mum boiling it gave me the boak as you say, so I didn't even consider trying it.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Want to try this. The smell of my mum boiling it gave me the boak as you say, so I didn't even consider trying it.
    Same here, my mother loved it but I had to leave the house whilst she was cooking it.

Tuna, just the thought of it gets me gagging.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Same here, my mother loved it but I had to leave the house whilst she was cooking it.

Tuna, just the thought of it gets me gagging.
    Snap, that's my 2.

Not a fan of snails either.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    The steak pies at ER.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Snap, that's my 2.

Not a fan of snails either.
    I tried snails whilst on an exchange with a French army unit and to be fair they could have been anything cooked in garlic for all I knew.

The only food I have ever tried that I could never eat again was gooseberries. It must be a psychological thing but I had them when I was young and was sick later that day. No idea if it was related or not but it's left an impression. Tried them again a while later and immediately gagged. Waited years, tried again and same thing happened.

Going against the grain but I love tripe. Any offal really; liver is a big favourite as long as it's cooked properly. I've tried a few dishes with insects and found them ok. There's a company sells a cricket granola mix and it's both tasty and loaded with all sorts of nutrition.

Beyond gooseberries I struggle to think of anything I have eaten that I could never eat. Plenty I could take or leave but nothing that has really scarred me. I'd give most things a try I reckon.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

First Team Breakthrough
    Another vote for tripe from me , even the thought of if gives me the shivers . Jellied Eels are another thing that I wouldn't eat

@hibs.net private member
    Squid 🤮

My old man still gets it from one of the butchers on Junction Street.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Any sort of fish or Liver or Kidney meat

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    My old man still gets it from one of the butchers on Junction Street.
    Andersons have a great selection of offal.

They occasionally have veal liver which isn't always the easiest to come by. Soaked in some milk for a few hours, bit of seasoned flour, flash fried then rested for a few minutes. Lovely stuff.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Andersons have a great selection of offal.

They occasionally have veal liver which isn't always the easiest to come by. Soaked in some milk for a few hours, bit of seasoned flour, flash fried then rested for a few minutes. Lovely stuff.
    My old man says tripe isn't the same without rudican, not sure if that is the correct spelling. Seemingly farmers make more money selling it to pharmaceutical companies these days.

Lettuce. A total sandwich ruiner.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I applaud the folk who are willing to eat brain, eyeballs, testicles, genitals etc from animals - it's a 'full use' of the animal approach and if it reduces waste and provides sustenance for them, more power to them.

It's not for me though - I'm not squeamish necessarily and I do enjoy various offal (I'm a sucker for a Stornoway black pudding and a decent bit of haggis, not to mention liver pate, sweetbreads etc) - there are just some things I've no desire to try, even though I do pretty much eat anything!

The only conventional thing I can't eat are mushrooms, but that's an allergy. Even the smell of them cooking can make me feel sick.

I've gradually warmed to cheese over the years - strong cheeses (parmesan, stilton, bleu etc) used to turn my stomach, but in moderation I can actually enjoy and appreciate some of them (especially paired with a good wine etc) - but the thought of casu martzu is nauseating.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

I've probably eaten a lot of things from the sea like shark , octopus ,squid , conger eel and most fish and shellfish over the years though put some Brussel sprouts or heinz beans in front of me and I will start to panic 😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Olives, food of the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Came across this and couldn't believe people actually eat this , rather them than me 😁.
    https://youtu.be/vZ_-JzM-YQg
    I'll try anything once!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I tried snails whilst on an exchange with a French army unit and to be fair they could have been anything cooked in garlic for all I knew.
    Snails feel like a blob of fat deep fried in garlic to me.

Snails feel like a blob of fat deep fried in garlic to me.
    Fat + garlic = delicious

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Just what I was about to nominate. My parents and grandparents used to eat it, but I would never try it. I'm veggie now, thus I will never get to experience such an abomination as cold cow's stomach, which is fine by me. I've always been a fussy eater and there are lots of things I wouldn't try growing up. The smell of kidney would make me ill.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davy67 + View Post
    Another vote for tripe from me , even the thought of if gives me the shivers . Jellied Eels are another thing that I wouldn't eat
    Not a chance I would have tried that. Same with oysters.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Squid 🤮
    I had squid from a certain chippy last night to accompany my white pudding. They tasted a bit fresh.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I loved tripe with milk onions and butterbeans, and the rudikan was the brown bits if my dad was being honest with me.

Last had it during lockdown, but i cooked it wrong, apparently the stuff i bought had already been cooked, and i over cooked it.

Seeing this thread now, i think i will try it again.

Piccillily, rather eat sheite.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    The only “normal” things I really can’t stand are squid and octopus. Tried them many times and I just don’t like them.

I’ll give most things a bash. In South East Asia I’ve eaten chicken feet, frogs, bugs of various kinds (really loved crickets), etc.

I inadvertently ate pig testicle in Thailand… they were described as “stir fried pork balls” at a buffet. I assumed it would be like pork balls you get from the Chinese here… not recognising “hang on there’s no batter on these”… we started eating them and my wife put them to the side of her plate as she wasn’t enjoying the texture. I thought it was a bit strange and then it suddenly dawned on me with the shape and texture of them that “pork ball” might mean a different kind of ball. Googled it and my fears were correct. I thought they were alright to be fair.

By far the worst thing I’ve eaten though was in Vietnam a number of years ago. My ex-wife and I were on a moped food tour in Ho Chi Minh. That’s also where I ate the frog which was nice. The last place they took us they said (amongst other things) we’d be getting a local delicacy that a lot of us westerners wouldn’t want to eat - a duck egg. We were a bit confused as you get that here. Then the woman explained that it was a fertilised duck egg that had been allowed to grow to foetus. They asked who was up for trying it. Only me and n Australian guy said we would. He finished it. I couldn’t which I think offended them. I got half way through. It smelled. There were veins in the yolk. There was the start of a beak. There were some feathers.

It was gross.

This is the sort of thing I’m talking about:

https://images.app.goo.gl/qsTPdmpt8Nb7q3bU9

Would never eat that again!