hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fast food favourites

As a long distance courier I would be lost without McDonalds Drive Thru's, and Greggs and KFC's at service stations. Therefore fastfood is not something I just enjoy, but after 8 hours of driving along a motorway (M25, M1, M6, M74, M8), it is something that I dream about.

I have even researched the history of fast food. How sad am I?

According to this source, the history of fast food can be traced back to ancient Greece and ancient Egypt, where vendors sold fried fish.

https://yoo.rs/who-invented-the-fast...638554730.html
    the concept of fast food and takeout was not new, but actually has its roots in the ancient world. The first ancestors of fast food go back to the Egyptian and Greek world who already had specialized stalls selling fried fish.
    Nowadays we have all sorts of fast food available. From Greggs, McDonalds, Subway, KFC, Burger King, Domino's, to our local chippies and tandooris. Not to mention all the other types of fast food outlets available, such as Chinese and Thai. Going to one of those outlets is fun. Going to one of their drive thru's is even more fun. Getting a home delivery, is more fun yet.

What is your favourite fast food item?

Mine has to be this from Giovanni's:
    Last edited by Edina Street; 08-04-2023 at 11:32 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

McCrispy
    McSpicy
    Grand Big Mac
    Fried Pizza Supper
    Haggis Supper
    Haddock Supper
    Sausage Supper
    And as a more obscure choice, a chicken box from Rockets on Waterloo Street in Derry. First thing I’m after soon as we go over to see the in laws, a work of art

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    McCrispy
    McSpicy
    Grand Big Mac
    Fried Pizza Supper
    Haggis Supper
    Haddock Supper
    Sausage Supper
    And as a more obscure choice, a chicken box from Rockets on Waterloo Street in Derry. First thing I’m after soon as we go over to see the in laws, a work of art

Thanks for alerting me to the Grand Big Mac. That will go down well with my large coke and fries whilst I scoff the lot in some layby on the outskirts of London during my next round.

Quote Originally Posted by Edina Street View Post
    Thanks for alerting me to the Grand Big Mac. That will go down well with my large coke and fries whilst I scoff the lot in some layby on the outskirts of London during my next round.

You get a grand Big Mac with bacon too, brilliant stuff. Definitely recommend the mcspicy if you’ve never had it, ****ing love them

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edina Street View Post

If only it actually looked like that when you get it.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    My death row meal would be a deep fried pizza supper if my arteries don't give up first

As much as I love gourmet burgers, sometimes you just can't beat a Big Mac, it is what it is and does it well

Pizza I'm spoilt for choice living in Leith, I love a dominos, if I want a thin wood fired pizza then la favourita, chewy Neopolitian pizza we have Razzo, no frills but tasty then a best Kebab Pizza but their Roast Tatties are also unbeatable

Foot long steak and cheese from subway is dynamite too

I'm hungry now

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    My death row meal would be a deep fried pizza supper if my arteries don't give up first

As much as I love gourmet burgers, sometimes you just can't beat a Big Mac, it is what it is and does it well

Pizza I'm spoilt for choice living in Leith, I love a dominos, if I want a thin wood fired pizza then la favourita, chewy Neopolitian pizza we have Razzo, no frills but tasty then a best Kebab Pizza but their Roast Tatties are also unbeatable

Foot long steak and cheese from subway is dynamite too

I'm hungry now
    Subway used to do a good breakfast baguette at motorway service stations, don't know if they still do.

And love pizza. Give me a meatfeast any day.

Don't share your passion for deep fried pizza though. I tried one from Giovanni's, and I must say I prefer their doner kebabs.
    Last edited by Edina Street; 08-04-2023 at 12:56 PM.

Can’t believe I forgot this one but a pork gyros from MacTassos is hard to beat as well

Chinese for me: Shredded crispy beef in chilli sauce, Singapore noodles, portion of curry sauce……heaven.

I can't get into the whole gourmet burger thing at all. Two brioche buns stuffed full of stuff that has to be held together with a skewer and falls apart as soon as you try to eat it. It's just a mess and always looks better than it tastes. To that end if I'm having a burger, which is rare, then I'll just go to McDonalds. You know what you are getting with a Big Mac; it's hardly some gastronomic masterpiece but there's a reason McDs sell 6.5M burgers a day. It does what it says on the tin.

More generally when it comes to take away I can take or leave a Chinese, likewise an Indian. The good ones tend to be expensive so I'd rather just go out for dinner and the cheap ones seem stuck in the 80s with gloopy sauces, an overload of MSG and ropey meat. On the subject of ropey meat I have a real weakness for a doner kebab or doner meat and chips when I have had a drink, it's the kind of thing that disgusts me in the morning but at the time is irresistible.

It's a bit boring but when it comes to a take away my go to is usually a chippy. A fish supper or a jumbo haggis supper with a can of Irn Bru hits the spot. One of the chippies near me does very decent pizzas as well which I like. I always have pizza dough and pizza sauce in the freezer though so if I fancy pizza I'll usually just make my own.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I can't get into the whole gourmet burger thing at all. Two brioche buns stuffed full of stuff that has to be held together with a skewer and falls apart as soon as you try to eat it. It's just a mess and always looks better than it tastes. To that end if I'm having a burger, which is rare, then I'll just go to McDonalds. You know what you are getting with a Big Mac; it's hardly some gastronomic masterpiece but there's a reason McDs sell 6.5M burgers a day. It does what it says on the tin.

More generally when it comes to take away I can take or leave a Chinese, likewise an Indian. The good ones tend to be expensive so I'd rather just go out for dinner and the cheap ones seem stuck in the 80s with gloopy sauces, an overload of MSG and ropey meat. On the subject of ropey meat I have a real weakness for a doner kebab or doner meat and chips when I have had a drink, it's the kind of thing that disgusts me in the morning but at the time is irresistible.

It's a bit boring but when it comes to a take away my go to is usually a chippy. A fish supper or a jumbo haggis supper with a can of Irn Bru hits the spot. One of the chippies near me does very decent pizzas as well which I like. I always have pizza dough and pizza sauce in the freezer though so if I fancy pizza I'll usually just make my own.
    I'm with you re the burgers... do you pick it up or is it a fork and knife job, which feels wrong for some reason!

On the Chinese, my go to as per above is a shredded crispy beef and chilli sauce... now a days though I've really struggled to find anywhere that includes "crispy" in the final product!

Not.sure if this should be in the air fryer thread...
    Recently we've gone for chippies a bit more, fire it in to the air fryer for a wee bit to heat back up to "roasting hot" and it's perfect... no more congealed chips etc... you can even see a bit extra oil that's dripped off :-)

Just on takeaway burgers, I have to say a Burger King Whopper whips a Big Mac any day of the week imo.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Chinese for me: Shredded crispy beef in chilli sauce, Singapore noodles, portion of curry sauce……heaven.
    SH, out of curiosity, what oil to Chippys use to fry, and what is the fat/saturated fat say in a Fish Supper

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Just on takeaway burgers, I have to say a Burger King Whopper whips a Big Mac any day of the week imo.
    Oh, would you look at that!

It's a pity that Burger King don't seem to have the same 24hour drive thru's that McDonalds do, as it is sometimes very late at night before I pull over. But would definitely be in the queue for one of those whoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    SH, out of curiosity, what oil to Chippys use to fry, and what is the fat/saturated fat say in a Fish Supper
    It's a good question... not sure how true it is but I've been told that there was a move to vegetable oils for health reasons... for me the fact that this then means everything needs to be cooked at a lower temperature results in more oil being "left" on the food... for.me at least its not as enjoyable as a result.

Could be a load of codswallop mind but I do remember being in Scarborough a while back where a chippy was proudly advertising that cooked the old fashioned way and it was the best I'd had un a long long time... (still need to try SH's place mind!)

We use beef dripping in our main fryer, we have a separate vegetable oil fryer for those that are vegetarian. I have no idea about the last part of your question 😀

We use beef dripping in our main fryer, we have a separate vegetable oil fryer for those that are vegetarian. I have no idea about the last part of your question 😀
    I've been meaning to visit your place for a while. Now I know you cook in dripping I'll be making it a priority.

The way a chippy should be cooked.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I've been meaning to visit your place for a while. Now I know you cook in dripping I'll be making it a priority.

The way a chippy should be cooked.
    This... 100% this!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    100%

Burger King XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger is better than anything you can get at McDonalds

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

Just brioche buns, generally…get them in the bin. Give me a roll. Just a standard bread roll. That’s what I want my burger on.

@hibs.net private member
    Give me a good kebab any day

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Can't beat a good falafel in thin pita bread.

@hibs.net private member
    Said it on the restaurant thread I think but your chippy is the best in Edinburgh imo.

Always order the special fish and it’s outstanding.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    100%

Burger King XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger is better than anything you can get at McDonalds
    This! A true work of art that burger, takes a bit of eating as well!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Said it on the restaurant thread I think but your chippy is the best in Edinburgh imo.

Always order the special fish and it’s outstanding.
    Aye its brilliant, the dripping makes a world of difference.

On kebabs javits in all their outlets have went downhill rapidly the last few years. I might be wrong but i think Marmaris clerk street is about the only kebab shop that makes their doner meat fresh and not brought in, you can tell the difference

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Aye its brilliant, the dripping makes a world of difference.

On kebabs javits in all their outlets have went downhill rapidly the last few years. I might be wrong but i think Marmaris clerk street is about the only kebab shop that makes their doner meat fresh and not brought in, you can tell the difference
    Remember Topkapi was the go to kebab joint for up the toon clubbers for many years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Remember Topkapi was the go to kebab joint for up the toon clubbers for many years
    Yeah many early hours scrans after clubbing, if I could eat.. pizza paradise and stories too. Don't think topkapi opened after the fire above it

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    We’re talking over 40 years ago😀

@hibs.net private member
    We’re talking over 40 years ago😀
    Yeah in fairness it was a long time ago 😀

Made Chinese style sweet chilli crispy beef for tea last night, was decent but not as good as from the local Chinese.