hibs.net Messageboard

Eddie May : What Hibs mean to me

4 years as a player with over a 100 appearances for Hibs and around 9 years working at the club in numerous roles . Think it's fair to say he's a right good Hibby .
    https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/articl...o-me-eddie-may

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4 years as a player with over a 100 appearances for Hibs and around 9 years working at the club in numerous roles . Think it's fair to say he's a right good Hibby .
    https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/articl...o-me-eddie-may
    Enjoyed that thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Enjoyed that thanks for sharing
    Glad you enjoyed it .Was wondering in 2019 Eddie May stepped in as caretaker for one game I think we won 4-1, can't who we played though thought it might have been Motherwell , anyone remember that game ?

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it .Was wondering in 2019 Eddie May stepped in as caretaker for one game I think we won 4-1, can't who we played though thought it might have been Motherwell , anyone remember that game ?
    Im sure he took charge of a game up in Perth , rember being there and it was 4-0 or 4-1 didn't think it was as long ago as that, time flies.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Im sure he took charge of a game up in Perth , rember being there and it was 4-0 or 4-1 didn't think it was as long ago as that, time flies.

Indeed 4-1
    DH got the score correct,though

Info from Eddie's wiki page

...........May returned to boyhood club Hibernian in August 2014 when he became their academy coaching manager.
    He was put in caretaker charge of the Hibernian first team in January 2019, after Neil Lennon was suspended by the club.
    May said that he was not interested in becoming a manager again because he had not enjoyed that role at Falkirk.
    May took charge of four games until
    Paul Heckingbottom was appointed head coach.
    May was again placed in caretaker charge in November 2019, after Heckingbottom was sacked.

He managed one game during this spell, a 4–1 win at
    St Johnstone.

GGTTH
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 23-03-2023 at 01:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Eddie is a top lad

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Doidge got a hat-trick, 1st game after Heckingbottom left.

@hibs.net private member
    He says he always wanted to be part of a winning Hibs side in a Derby - he did more than that - he scored a fantastic peachy winner vs Hearts at ER - 2-1 I Think the score was. I remember it vividly as I was in the wrong end that day (don't ask - never again!) and had the dubious pleasure of watching Eddie score right in front of me and watching the Hibs end going mental while being unable to join in due to being surrounded by knuckle dragging Yam-tards!
    Any statos have details of that game? Don't think any footage survives.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    My earliest derby memory is Eddie sliding in to score the winner at Easter Rd before Hearts went on their big unbeaten run against us.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Who put the ball in the jambos net?
    Eddie Eddie
    Who put the ball in the jambos net?
    Eddie Eddie May

A poplar tune for a short while when I was a youngster.

He took charge of the team in between Lennon and Heckingbottam as well. 3-1 win away to St Mirren, then I think losses to Aberdeen and Celtic. Mind him being very keen to emphasise that he was very uncomfortable in the job!

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    He says he always wanted to be part of a winning Hibs side in a Derby - he did more than that - he scored a fantastic peachy winner vs Hearts at ER - 2-1 I Think the score was. I remember it vividly as I was in the wrong end that day (don't ask - never again!) and had the dubious pleasure of watching Eddie score right in front of me and watching the Hibs end going mental while being unable to join in due to being surrounded by knuckle dragging Yam-tards!
    Our first derby win in 17 games, stretching 10 years. My memory was that May's goal was a tap in from a rebound off Henry Smith, but that Kano's winner was a peach of a diving header. Was only my second derby, my first being the defeat at Tynie earlier in the season.

Eddie was a quality player, was disappointed when we sold him. Was excellent for Falkirk and Motherwell when he came back up the road as well.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 23-03-2023 at 03:28 PM.

He scored the first in a 2-1 win in 1987, he scored the winner in a one nil win Jan 1989👍 87 was my first Derby too!

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Our first derby win in 17 games, stretching 10 years. My memory was that May's goal was a tap in from a rebound off Henry Smith, but that Kano's winner was a peach of a diving header. Was only my second derby, my first being the defeat at Tynie earlier in the season.

Eddie was a quality player, was disappointed when we sold him. Was excellent for Falkirk and Motherwell when he came back up the road as well.
    Are you telling me we went 17 games without a win and then 22 games without a win?

That is appalling. Truly and utterly appalling. The sooner a Saudi comes in and we wipe the floor with them constantly the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    Are you telling me we went 17 games without a win and then 22 games without a win?

That is appalling. Truly and utterly appalling. The sooner a Saudi comes in and we wipe the floor with them constantly the better.
    Or just, you know, sign better players and hire better managers. "You beat homosexuals and women so we can beat Hearts" no thanks. Goes against everything our club stands for. Disgusting thought

Stubbs and Lennon managed it just fine.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 23-03-2023 at 05:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post

That was my first derby, outstanding memory

Although both Hibs goals were scored at the bottom of the slope shooting into the cowshed before half time, so not sure the goal would have been right in front of you basehibby?

I remember seeing lots of fighting in the away end that day, assuming Hibs casuals had got tickets for that end.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    I don’t know, it sounds quite fun to me, being in there amongst them and looking round smugly as they rant and rave…

might try it someday. Although we’d have to actually win a derby to make it worthwhile. And that doesn’t happen so much these days

Was looking for footage of Eddie May's derby winner , can't find anything on it though did find a goal he scored at Ibrox in I think what was a 1-1 draw . Who put the ball in the rangers net .
    https://youtu.be/hfcmnQ1RCjE
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 23-03-2023 at 06:23 PM.

Scored the winner v Celtic in The Scottish Cup 4-3 game IIRC. Magnificent game.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Scored the winner v Celtic in The Scottish Cup 4-3 game IIRC.
    https://youtu.be/uqvQTxKp5Ag
    Was just about to post this
    When he scored the East went absolutely mental

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post

I was about to link same video
    Now it seem this was filmed from the top of dugout/tunnel with Hibs own hollywood film crew at the time
    The head groundsman was interviewed after the game and was delighted as to the condition of the pitch saying he thinks the potato crop will be a good one.
    It also seems the Cave was once again boycotted as a protest to increased admission prices.Many in there sneaked in that day .

Celtic fans had previous for invading pitches when they got beat.
    Sometimes before game had finished !!
    A ploy to get games abandoned !
    Like a wedding poor out at the end .The stewards filling their pockets wae coins.

Eddie's recollection
    https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...riller-1574396
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 23-03-2023 at 07:13 PM.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post

Although both Hibs goals were scored at the bottom of the slope shooting into the cowshed before half time, so not sure the goal would have been right in front of you basehibby?

I remember seeing lots of fighting in the away end that day, assuming Hibs casuals had got tickets for that end.
    Yeah both were scored down the slope in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    I was about to link same video
    Now it seem this was filmed from the top of dugout/tunnel with Hibs own hollywood film crew at the time
    The head groundsman was interviewed after the game and was delighted as to the condition of the pitch saying he thinks the potato crop will be a good one.
    It also seems the Cave was once again boycotted as a protest to increased admission prices.Many in there sneaked in that day .

Celtic fans had previous for invading pitches when they got beat.
    Sometimes before game had finished !!
    A ploy to get games abandoned !
    Like a wedding poor out at the end .The stewards filling their pockets wae coins.

Eddie's recollection
    https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...riller-1574396
    The video went on sale a few days after the game
    I bought a copy it was a yellow video box,no edit.was very poor quality video.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post

First time I`ve seen that . Fantastic . Thanks . I was at the LC game the same season where we beat Celtic on penalties after 4 v 4 draw then again at ER 3 days later when we lost 0 v 5 in league with both teams starting with same line ups as 3 days before . In those pre internet days BBC World Service had a Saturday afternoon sports programme which included live radio commentary of last 20 minutes of top game in England or Scotland . That day , some English game was considered more important than a Hibs v Celtic cup semi for some reason ( another sign of how Scottish football is considered much lower now than before ) so Hibs v Celtic was reduced to recorded highlights like " then this happened " . Nervewracking but I still remember celebrating hearing about winning goal . A few weeks later , similar feelings as " then this happened " was Albert Kidd`s double . BBC World sports programme was introduced for many years by a guy called Paddy Feeney who had left Belfast as a baby but was still a Cliftonville fan with a very soft spot for Hibs . He certainly seemed to enjoy events at the Holy Ground when we beat Celtic in the cup and also the events at Dens a few weels later .

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Was in the East the day Eddie May rose from the bench to score that glorious diving header to make it 4-3 against the overconfident Smellies

The limbs and the sway took me away from my mates and this old guy grabbed me and declared

‘ Eddie May a star is born!’

Also remember the Celtic fans’ mini pitch invasion at the full time whistle

Sore losers
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 24-03-2023 at 06:27 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Was in the East the day Eddie May rose from the bench to score that glorious diving header to make it 4-3 against the overconfident Smellies

The limbs and the sway took me away from my mates and this old guy grabbed me and declared

‘ Eddie May a star is born!’

Also remember the Celtic fans’ mini pitch invasion at the full time whistle

Sore losers
    Yes think my brother done his ankle in when Eddie scored. The Celtic penalty was a laughable decision, nothing changes

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post

The 17-game run should never have happened. We were 1-0 up and 2-1 up at Tynie in what was the first derby in four years, yet contrived to lose 3-2 thanks to a John Robertson double. In the next match at ER we were bossing it 1-0 before Robertson levelled via a massively deflected shot off (I think) Eric Schaedler. After that it started to become psychological (with the talsimanic presence of Robertson a big factor). To end that run should have knocked such nonsense on the head, but to then endure a 22-game run without a win was unforgivable. We need to nip the current run in the bud asap, which hopefully we can do in what's left of this season.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Or just, you know, sign better players and hire better managers. "You beat homosexuals and women so we can beat Hearts" no thanks. Goes against everything our club stands for. Disgusting thought

Stubbs and Lennon managed it just fine.
    Stubbs beat them twice in 6 attempts losing once and drawing three times.

I’m talking about total domination to overcome what is an appalling, but not defining of course, record we have in this fixture.

I can think of Lennon winning three derbies out of how many and with how many defeats I do not know.

Ok maybe not Saudi, somewhere else with lots of money to turn us into league winners and consistent Hearts destroyers.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I remember Eddie May scoring in a 2-1 win over Hearts at ER in 1987 and in a 1-0 win over Hearts in January 1989 with one of his trade mark late runs into the box to slot the ball behind Henry Smith cue scenes in a jam packed East

The last time we beat them in quite some time IIRC and the last game I attended with my dear old Dad

I can still picture him getting swept away in a sea of green and white

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post

So much for my "vivid memories" lols. What I can be sure of is the Hibs support celebrating was a wonderful and glorious sight!