hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fixture scheduling

Scottish football has enough issues without scheduling football so spread out. Hibs by the time they line up against Motherwell on the 1st April will have played only two home fixtures in two months. 2 home games in 62 days.

I work shifts which affects my ability to take full advantage of my season ticket at the best of times but surely this scheduling is unacceptable.

I wish we could go back to Home one week and Away the next with internationals midweek and postponed league fixtures played the following midweek.

2. Log in to remove the advert

To be fair, 3 of the free weekends we’ve had in February and March have been down to us being out of cup competitions.

It has felt very stop/start though.

First Team Breakthrough
    100% agree.

I’ve never bought into that we’re all part of the Hibs family and we are all appreciated.

The harsh fact is that clubs look on supporters as gullible cash cows who will unquestionably renew season tickets and accept all the s**t that’s flung at them.

The recent changing of the ko time of the forthcoming Derby to cater for PPV is a classic example of how clubs treat supporters.

I sympathise with you as a shift worker with fixtures been re-scheduled for reasons that just don’t help your situations

In fact I’m hearing about more and more shift workers who are not renewing their season tickets because of the reasons you’ve described.

Will it ever change in favour of the supporters.I VERY MUCH DOUBT IT.

What I don't get is that we cram a mental amount of fixtures into December in the worst conditions of the year then have such a sparse calendar from Feb onwards.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I don't get is that we cram a mental amount of fixtures into December in the worst conditions of the year then have such a sparse calendar from Feb onwards.

Very true

Kensall has joined the league committee that oversees scheduling this year. He did so after a lot of frustration over midweek games in Dingwall and Aberdeen in successive seasons. Hopefully this helps

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    The recent stop-start has potentially made things a bit more difficult for Hibs. We were on that decent run, if we could have got the last couple of games out the way quickly and got back into more winnable games then would it be easier to get the momentum going again? As it stands, by the time we play Motherwell it will be four weeks since our last win, even though we've only played two games in the interim. Hopefully won't make too much difference, but these things can have an affect.

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    The recent stop-start has potentially made things a bit more difficult for Hibs. We were on that decent run, if we could have got the last couple of games out the way quickly and got back into more winnable games then would it be easier to get the momentum going again? As it stands, by the time we play Motherwell it will be four weeks since our last win, even though we've only played two games in the interim. Hopefully won't make too much difference, but these things can have an affect.
    It has been a very strange spaced programme of games for Hibs for over 6 weeks now due to our early cup exit and now international week
    I was hoping the lack of games would allow us to get players back but all that happened is we managed to break Magennis again in training and we won't see him again until after the split. JDH and Newell have also continued to struggle with their injuries and now Fish is injured.
    Nisbet despite having what was described as the mildest of hamstring injuries has been very sparingly used since returning a month ago and Kukharevych still has a large strapping on his injured leg.
    Fortunately the Motherwell game a week on Saturday will finally see us on a regular match schedule again with 9 matches to play until the end of the season.
    Last edited by PHeffernan; 21-03-2023 at 02:07 PM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post

Agree with that makes no sense at all. Could have had a couple of midweek games in last few weeks or so?

With the World Cup in mid season and the chance of Rangers or Celtic having midweek European games in Feb / March or beyond like last season everyone knew this would not be a typical season but surely alternative fixture lists could have been planned ? This league season in Scotland could easily have been finished in April instead of dragging things on till late May with cup final in June . International matches in mid June are unlikely to involve us much though there will probably be mass withdrawals of players from other clubs who thought a non WC or EC summer would mean decent holidays and that may mean some of our players are called up .

For all I’ve quite liked a lot of the football under Johnson I’ve just hated this season.

Early cup exits, the World Cup, stop start for however many months with very few games, the shambolic introduction of VAR, Ron’s death - it’s just been pretty bleak.

I’m not normally a doom and gloomer but I couldn’t wait for last season to end either, prior to that was covid.

I feel I’ve been losing my way as a fan and it feels like quite a few years now since I was actively engaged and enjoying it. And it’s weird because, as I said, I’ve been quite on board with Johnson and quite enjoy watching this team play so it’s not just “that we’re pish”.
    Last edited by Smartie; 21-03-2023 at 09:31 PM.

Let’s just get in the top 6 first

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    I wish we could go back to Home one week and Away the next with internationals midweek and postponed league fixtures played the following midweek.
    Can anyone explain why a long time ago, we moved away from, Home, Away, Home, Away scheduling? Have never understood the rationale for doing it as currently, when a balanced schedule of home & away seems much more logical.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    For all I’ve quite liked a lot of the football under Johnson I’ve just hated this season.

Early cup exits, the World Cup, stop start for however many months with very few games, the shambolic introduction of VAR, Ron’s death - it’s just been pretty bleak.

I’m not normally a doom and gloomer but I couldn’t wait for last season to end either, prior to that was covid.

I feel I’ve been losing my way as a fan and it feels like quite a few years now since I was actively engaged and enjoying it. And it’s weird because, as I said, I’ve been quite on board with Johnson and quite enjoy watching this team play so it’s not just “that we’re pish”.
    It's probably not the same for everyone, but as I've segued into middle-age I've found increasingly there's periods where I'm less interested and periods where I'm more interested. Sometimes these periods can last for two or three years and don't always coincide with Hibs being good or not. Thankfully I'm in an interested period just now. Just the way of it, I suppose.

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    To be fair, 3 of the free weekends we’ve had in February and March have been down to us being out of cup competitions.

It has felt very stop/start though.
    Decision on derby KO change must’ve been a way to recoup some of the budgeted cash we lost due to an early cup exit ☹️

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scm70nyd1973 View Post
    Decision on derby KO change must’ve been a way to recoup some of the budgeted cash we lost due to an early cup exit ☹️
    It might do that, but they'd have moved it regardless.

Sorry if it sounds a bit controversial, but I really can't raise any enthusiasm about the forthcoming international, for me it just gets in the way of the football that really matters to me. Others will of course have a completely different point of view, but for me, Hibs have still got plenty to play for, I know Scotland do too but I'm far more a Hibs fan than I am a Scotland one, even though it'd be great to see Scotland do well.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Sorry if it sounds a bit controversial, but I really can't raise any enthusiasm about the forthcoming international, for me it just gets in the way of the football that really matters to me. Others will of course have a completely different point of view, but for me, Hibs have still got plenty to play for, I know Scotland do too but I'm far more a Hibs fan than I am a Scotland one, even though it'd be great to see Scotland do well.
    I would absolutely love Scotland to qualify for Euro 2024. Germany will be a great host country and easy to get to / get around, even if you can’t get tickets for a Scotland game the atmosphere would be fantastic and picking up tickets for a non Scotland game would still be enjoyable.

The early qualification games are always a little hard to get excited for but we have a genuine opportunity to qualify for the tournament and a win against Cyprus will be a vital start to that. I loved the buzz around the Serbia game and the scenes when we won are some of my fondest of following football. These games are no less important. The game against Spain is always one we are expected to loose but it’s not impossible, especially at Hampden. They were nothing special at the World Cup.

Haaland being out hopefully gives Norway little hope of winning in Spain and Georgia away could be throw up a tough game also. I’m exited and praying we don’t mess up our chances at the first set of fixtures.
    Last edited by Paul1642; 22-03-2023 at 06:42 PM.

'S' Form

fixtures - and getting there

For the games fixtures , there has also been the issue, for those of us from far, far away, of getting to the matches.
    Firstly many train strikes , then the world cup, now the rail engineering work at Carstairs, until the end of May, FFS !!
    On 14th January , ( Dundee Utd ) , the train back to Birmingham was very late and finished at Preston ! Great that !

Drummondst34

Did we not usually budget for quarter finals in both cups. Not great if that is still the case.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Did we not usually budget for quarter finals in both cups. Not great if that is still the case.
    It is normal for clubs to budget for being knocked out in the first round, every round after that becomes a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    It is normal for clubs to budget for being knocked out in the first round, every round after that becomes a bonus
    Pretty sure quarter final was what we used to budget for maybe in Rod’s day.

BK said at last weeks AST event it was influenced by the police and risk of antisocial behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    I've never understood budgeting for specific rounds of cups because they can be so random you never know if you might get 3 or 4 home games that you can make some money from or 3 or 4 away games at small venues, then there's no guarantee you'll be on TV either, even less likely back in Rod's day when less games were broadcast.