hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Managing 3 Games in 6 Days

I'd play our strongest side on Sunday, make lots changes for Ross County on the Wednesday and back to full strength for Livingston.

XI for Ross County would be something like:

Marshall

Cadden
    Hanlon
    Fish
    Stevenson

Triantis
    NMW

Jair
    Levitt
    Youan

Alf

I'm worried he keeps an unchanged side for Wednesday, they put in a tired performance and lose 1-0 to a 'right up for it' Ross County and then the same side drops points to Livi.

Aberdeen are gone, we've got a nice little gap over Motherwell and Dundee have got a tough run-in. I think the changed side would have more chance of winning in Dingwall, but a draw wouldn't be a disaster. We'd have all the big boys on the bench, could make a big impact in the last 20-25 mins.
    Last edited by King Cosell; 05-03-2024 at 01:44 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Rotation should be a few at a time. Whole team at once is asking for it

Quote Originally Posted by King Cosell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd play our strongest side on Sunday, make lots changes for Ross County on the Wednesday and Back to full strength for Livingston.

Marshall

Cadden
    Hanlon
    Fish
    Stevenson

Triantis
    NMW

Jair
    Levitt
    Youan

Alf

I'm worried he keeps an unchanged side for Wednesday, they put in a tired performance and lose 1-0 to a 'right up for it' Ross County and then the same side drops points to Livi.

Aberdeen are gone, we've got a nice little gap over Motherwell and Dundee have got a tough run-in. I think the changed side would have more chance of winning in Dingwall, but a draw wouldn't be a disaster. We'd have all the big boys on the bench, could make a big impact in the last 20-25 mins.
    Not bad thinking … debatable opinion as to the choice of what our strongest choice is of course … but the fact you could impact with nigh on half a dozen players at half time / later in the match … might well work.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    I'd play our strongest side on Sunday, make lots changes for Ross County on the Wednesday and Back to full strength for Livingston.

Marshall

Cadden
    Hanlon
    Fish
    Stevenson

Triantis
    NMW

Jair
    Levitt
    Youan

Alf

Far too many changes for me, wouldn’t have Triantis or Jair starting games we need to win, maybe Alf, Cadden, Hanlon and maybe youan

[QUOTE=King Cosell;7604826]I'd play our strongest side on Sunday, make lots changes for Ross County on the Wednesday and Back to full strength for Livingston.

Surely the Rangers game is the most important game?

The Cup is our only chance of glory - I'd put everything into that game and then deal with the other games afterwards.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=Yorkshire HFC;7604852]

Surely the Rangers game is the most important game?

The Cup is our only chance of glory - I'd put everything into that game and then deal with the other games afterwards.
    That will be why he would play our strongest side on sunday

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Marshall

Cadden
    Hanlon
    Fish
    Stevenson

Triantis
    NMW

Jair
    Levitt
    Youan

Alf

One game at a time. See how Sunday goes. What is for sure is that the time of the game ihas only been scheduled for one team as a Sunday night with a midweek game after isn't ideal especially the possibility of extra time.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Rotation should be a few at a time. Whole team at once is asking for it
    Agree Sunday will be full on well hopefully as the recent home games have been uncompetitive. There will I assume be a fair number of subs just hope no injuries.

The players are on a nice break this week, let's go for it and strongest team available in each game.

I do understand why a few chances could happen though.

Marshall

Cadden
    Hanlon
    Fish
    Stevenson

Triantis
    NMW

Jair
    Levitt
    Youan

Alf

Agree with the sentiment if not the team choice. Cadden in reality will be a good bit away from starting games still and Jair I wouldn't trust to start either. A battling Ross Co away probably not his cup of tea. Would leave Rocky where he is, be fresh enough after not playing in AFCON and been brilliant since came back in.
    ALF, Youan, Levitt, Mayenda, Amos if fit, Stevenson players we could trust and use. Hanlon for Fish maybe, Fish played more minutes than anyone

Marshall

Cadden
    Hanlon
    Fish
    Stevenson

Triantis
    NMW

Jair
    Levitt
    Youan

Alf

Goodness knows how we got on when we had basic teams, playing in Europe almost every season, Hibs players representing Scotland in all levels [adding to the games], playing on mud bath's against opponents who would cut the more skilled players in half. So pleased we never had sports scientists back then

Quote Originally Posted by cubehindthegoal View Post
    Not bad thinking … debatable opinion as to the choice of what our strongest choice is of course … but the fact you could impact with nigh on half a dozen players at half time / later in the match … might well work.
    We saw how leggy some players were v county after the Hearts game so don’t think he woukd risk playing sn unchanged team
    Cadden probably can’t last the full 90 mins yet
    But agree how we rotate squad will be key as I think we really need to be winning the two league games or minimum taking four points But teams round about all play Aberdeen so I would rather go for six points

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_ View Post
    Goodness knows how we got on when we had basic teams, playing in Europe almost every season, Hibs players representing Scotland in all levels [adding to the games], playing on mud bath's against opponents who would cut the more skilled players in half. So pleased we never had sports scientists back then
    Game was played at half the speed.

Play that team up in Dingwall and we will lose. Just play our best team for each game, we don’t have the depth to rotate.

Just take each game as it comes.

We’re not good enough to totally change the team about. Saturday showed that we will need to freshen it up as we go, but it should only be the odd player here and there.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_ View Post
    There's a lot more expected from elite footballers now compared to the times you mention.

Players like Ally McLeod, as skillful as he was, wouldn't be given a contract at Hibs today because his workrate was so low.

Players use a lot more energy now and rest is much more important than it was back then. If you watch some of the old videos, players were virtually stationary compared to the movement we currently see and expect.

Players like Jimmy Johnston couldn't exist these days, even though the tackling is much less aggressive, because the defenders are much fitter and more athletic. The standard of play today is much higher despite our misty eyed memories.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 05-03-2024 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    One game at a time. See how Sunday goes. What is for sure is that the time of the game ihas only been scheduled for one team as a Sunday night with a midweek game after isn't ideal especially the possibility of extra time.
    The huns are playing on Thursday coming. Our tie had to be on Sunday and it'll have been Sky who pushed for 5.00pm because they've got Liverpool v Man City at 3.45.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Not against seeing Cadden come back for that Wednesday game, or any game as soon as he's ready really, but I wouldn't like to see too much in the way of changes from our strongest XI.

Marshall

Cadden
    Hanlon
    Fish
    Stevenson

Triantis
    NMW

Jair
    Levitt
    Youan

Alf

Probably not a popular opinion though I think your team has possibly to many changes in it and having both Jair and Levitt in it would worry me going to Dingwall which could very well turn into a bit of a battle and I'm not sure either player is suited to that type of game .

I'm hoping after just over a week off the players like MW and a few others have recovered from knocks they've been playing with and will be able to cope with both the Sevco and Ross county games before knocks, fatigue maybe force our hand to make a few changes for the home game against livvy which imo is probably the easier of the 3 games on paper.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Really , I don’t remember the tornadoes playing at half speed.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    There's a lot more expected from elite footballers now compared to the times you mention.

Players like Ally McLeod, as skillful as he was, wouldn't be given a contract at Hibs today because his workrate was so low.

Players use a lot more energy now and rest is much more important than it was back then. If you watch some of the old videos, players were virtually stationary compared to the movement we currently see and expect.

Players like Jimmy Johnston couldn't exist these days, even though the tackling is much less aggressive, because the defenders are much fitter and more athletic. The standard of play today is much higher despite our misty eyed memories.
    I think you meant "The standard of fitness and athleticism is much higher today despite our misty eyed memories"

Certainly in the first half of this season, Hibs level of skill on the ball, passing, crossing and ability to convert chances into goals was a level well below the likes of Stanton, Cropley, Bremner, Browline, Blackley, O'Rourke, Gordon et al.

I totally accept that the game was played at a slower pace with less constant closing down (no wonder on the pitches they had to contend with in the winter) and the players were by and large a good deal less physically fit than current professionals due to lack of training facilities, poor diet, fags and booze ! But the skill level of players in the past for Hibernian has often been higher than the majority of the squad we started with this season. Boyle would have been fine in the Tornadoes Team, maybe Joe Newell... but fitness levels aside I doubt Eddie T would have picked any of the rest.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Welcome back MWH

I’ve missed you

Try telling that to the great Leeds United and Liverpool teams and the great Celtic side that reached two European Cup Finals who all struggled against our pedestrian pace not forgetting Arthur Nijinsky Duncan who was no slow coach

I hear what you are saying but it was the highest level at that time

Anyway just play our strongest team for all three games it’s squeaky bum time and see where it takes us with injuries etc

Please no Jair and would not trust Cadden just yet Nectar on the bench
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 05-03-2024 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Probably not a popular opinion though I think your team has possibly to many changes in it and having both Jair and Levitt in it would worry me going to Dingwall which could very well turn into a bit of a battle and I'm not sure either player is suited to that type of game .

I'm hoping after just over a week off the players like MW and a few others have recovered from knocks they've been playing with and will be able to cope with both the Sevco and Ross county games before knocks, fatigue maybe force our hand to make a few changes for the home game against livvy which imo is probably the easier of the 3 games on paper.
    It's just a rough idea of what the team might look like, I wouldn't be starting Maolida, Emiliano, Boyle & Newell in all 3 games, Cadden might not be ready to start but I'd defo be bringing Hanlon & Stevenson in. Ross County will have 11 days to prepare, Livi will have 6, that's a massive advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    I think you meant "The standard of fitness and athleticism is much higher today despite our misty eyed memories"

Certainly in the first half of this season, Hibs level of skill on the ball, passing, crossing and ability to convert chances into goals was a level well below the likes of Stanton, Cropley, Bremner, Browline, Blackley, O'Rourke, Gordon et al.

I totally accept that the game was played at a slower pace with less constant closing down (no wonder on the pitches they had to contend with in the winter) and the players were by and large a good deal less physically fit than current professionals due to lack of training facilities, poor diet, fags and booze ! But the skill level of players in the past for Hibernian has often been higher than the majority of the squad we started with this season. Boyle would have been fine in the Tornadoes Team, maybe Joe Newell... but fitness levels aside I doubt Eddie T would have picked any of the rest.
    Yes, I agree with all of that. My wording was poor. Players' fitness and athleticism is much higher, as is their workrate and speed.

Because of what players put their bodies through, rest plays a much more important role in football than it used to.

It's quite common for good teams to struggle against mediocre opposition at the weekend if they've had a tough game in Europe during the week.

I don't bet very often but I had a good win when I bet that Villa, Newcastle and Liverpool would all draw at the weekend having played in Europe midweek. It would have been an even better win had Man City held out for another 4 minutes against Arsenal.

Anyway, if the top coaches and managers say that 3 games a week is tough, then who are we to dispute it.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

It's just a rough idea of what the team might look like, I wouldn't be starting Maolida, Emiliano, Boyle & Newell in all 3 games, Cadden might not be ready to start but I'd defo be bringing Hanlon & Stevenson in. Ross County will have 11 days to prepare, Livi will have 6, that's a massive advantage.
    3 games in 6 days is a big ask though I think barring injuries we will probably have to go with our strongest team possible maybe one or two changes though I don't think we will see Monty make many . Ross county away is never a easy game .

Like the 3 games in 7 days we just had I expect us to manage the first two before fatigue , knocks etc kick in for the Livvy game were I'd expect us to make the changes then which is another huge game considering I think killie play St mirren that week too .

Get what your saying about rotating the team though to many changes could come back and bite us too . Must admit Levitt and Jair in the team together for the Ross county game when it could become a night to roll up the sleeves and get stuck in doesn't fil me with alot of confidence tbh . Triantis not a bad shout though imo .

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I'd play a full strength team every time it's available. If a player is carrying an injury through the week after the Rangers game, then they don't play at Ross County.

I get that it's 2 games in 3 days, but its also 2 games in 11 days. They should be fine.

Same goes for the Livi match, only rest anyone who's carrying a knock. We're nowhere near good enough to rest players.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Bit in bold - I 100% would be starting them all.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I'd play a full strength team every time it's available. If a player is carrying an injury through the week after the Rangers game, then they don't play at Ross County.

I get that it's 2 games in 3 days, but its also 2 games in 11 days. They should be fine.

Same goes for the Livi match, only rest anyone who's carrying a knock. We're nowhere near good enough to rest players.
    It's 3 games in 7 days.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    It's 3 games in 7 days.
    Ooft.... you beat me to it.

I'll let you deal with the flak

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Welcome back MWH

I’ve missed you

Try telling that to the great Leeds United and Liverpool teams and the great Celtic side that reached two European Cup Finals who all struggled against our pedestrian pace not forgetting Arthur Nijinsky Duncan who was no slow coach

I hear what you are saying but it was the highest level at that time

Anyway just play our strongest team for all three games it’s squeaky bum time and see where it takes us with injuries etc

Please no Jair and would not trust Cadden just yet Nectar on the bench
    Watch 90 minutes from then and 90 minutes from now. Different game. Physical demands are miles higher.