hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

New penalty offence rules?

This appeared on my FB feed.

If the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which involved a defending team player challenging an opponent for the ball, the same sanction should be issued to the player as for an attempt to play the ball.

If the offence within the defender’s penalty area:
    ➡ stops or interferes with a promising attack – no caution (no yellow card)
    ➡ denies the opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity (DOGSO) – caution (yellow card)

Explanation:

It is not always clear whether an action was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball (or both). The same principle applies for challenging for the ball and attempting to play the ball.

Where the referee awards a penalty kick for a DOGSO offence, the offending player is only sent off (red card) if the offence was:
    ➡ handball
    ➡ holding
    ➡ pulling
    ➡ pushing or
    ➡ committed without the possibility to play the ball

Keep up to date with all changes: bit.ly/Changes23_24

Download the official app:
    bit.ly/LawsAppAndroid
    bit.ly/LawsApp_iOS

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    If you follow the link, it seems the change is to add 'or a challenge for the ball' where it previously only said 'an attempt to play the ball'.

Looks like a minor clarification to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you follow the link, it seems the change is to add 'or a challenge for the ball' where it previously only said 'an attempt to play the ball'.

Looks like a minor clarification to me.
    So if a genuine challenge for the ball results in a penalty being awarded the player is not sent off. That's new isn't it?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    So if a genuine challenge for the ball results in a penalty being awarded the player is not sent off. That's new isn't it?
    Was the same last season I’m sure. Can’t give away a penalty and get a red card if it was an honest attempt to win the ball.

EDIT: In fact it happened against Hearts last game of the season. Was initially given a penalty to us and yellow card for the Hearts player. VAR ruled it was outside the box so it was changed to a FK and a red card.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    No, a red card hasn’t been given when there was a genuine attempt to play the ball for about 7/8 years now.

No, that's been the case for a few years now. The previous wording was "an attempt to play the ball", now it says "an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball".

I'm not really sure what a challenge for the ball that isn't an attempt to play the ball would look like, but as I said I think it's just a clarification.

Thanks all.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I'm not really sure what a challenge for the ball that isn't an attempt to play the ball would look like, but as I said I think it's just a clarification.
    Probably that FC Europa boys “challenge” on Youan.

@hibs.net private member BonnieFitbaTeam's Avatar
    I'm not really sure what a challenge for the ball that isn't an attempt to play the ball would look like, but as I said I think it's just a clarification.[/QUOTE]

I can only think that it's one of those situations where you're clearing the ball in the box and don't see the opponent coming to challenge for the ball from your blind side. Big swipe to clear the ball but he got there first and you boot him instead, albeit entirely accidentally.
    At Easter Road They Play.....

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieFitbaTeam View Post
    I can only think that it's one of those situations where you're clearing the ball in the box and don't see the opponent coming to challenge for the ball from your blind side. Big swipe to clear the ball but he got there first and you boot him instead, albeit entirely accidentally.
    But that's surely already covered by "an attempt to play the ball"? You try to play the ball but don't because the other player gets there first.

@hibs.net private member BonnieFitbaTeam's Avatar
    But that's surely already covered by "an attempt to play the ball"? You try to play the ball but don't because the other player gets there first.

Aye, it occurred to me after I had posted that it's actually the opposite of what I had said, but I couldn't be arsed going back in and editing it
    At Easter Road They Play.....