hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There is no requirement to swear allegiance to the crown.
    You do need to believe in a supreme being …. Your god if you like so if you have no religious belief then it’s not for you.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is no requirement to swear allegiance to the crown.
    You do need to believe in a supreme being …. Your god if you like so if you have no religious belief then it’s not for you.
    So as an atheist I'm excluded.

What a relief!

@hibs.net private member
    Any other books anyone can recommend

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FifeHibs View Post
    Any other books anyone can recommend
    The Dublin Trilogy by Caimh McDonnell is a great series. Bunny McGarry is a very funny character. Saying that i’ve only listened to the audio books reading them without the accents might not be as powerful.

I quite enjoyed Frankie Boyles Meantime. Pretty original and very dark.

Stayin alive by David Cruickshanks.

Good read about his life story including service in the RN at the falklands and then going on to become a stand up comedian.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Currently listening to 1927 by Bill Bryson on Borrow Box.

It's a really fascinating book all about 1927 and the early part of the 20th century in America.

It covers things like the first flight across the Atlantic, Babe Ruth, Prohibition and loads of other topics.

I found the book itself quite a hard read, but its excellent to listen to.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Currently listening to 1927 by Bill Bryson on Borrow Box.

It's a really fascinating book all about 1927 and the early part of the 20th century in America.

It covers things like the first flight across the Atlantic, Babe Ruth, Prohibition and loads of other topics.

I found the book itself quite a hard read, but its excellent to listen to.
    Funny you say that, I find that to be the case with a lot of Bryson books.

I sometimes struggle to read them but if I'm walking to work or out running I find them brilliant as audiobooks.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Funny you say that, I find that to be the case with a lot of Bryson books.

I sometimes struggle to read them but if I'm walking to work or out running I find them brilliant as audiobooks.

The travel books are much more readable, the factual books are great to listen to. They're just so overwhelmingly number heavy for me.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Given Paul O'Grady's sad passing, I thought it would be goods to recommend his Autobiography, At my mothers knee...and other low joints. I read it about a decade ago. It is a really warm and funny book populated by amazing characters brilliantly brought to life by O'Grady with his customary wit and sharp tongue/pen. Strangely for a autobiography there is more in the book about the people he grew up around than he actually features but you can see where he drew inspiration for Lily Savage and his comedy. I am not one for your run of the mill celebrity autobiographies but I picked this up in a local book box lending library more out of boredom and lack of choice than anything else and I really enjoyed it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    The Amateurs by John Irvine.

It's hilarious, particularly so if you're a golfer.
    Just finished reading this whilst away on holiday.

Brilliant and will get passed onto my golfing chums when I get home.

Thanks for the recommendation.

The greatest footballer you never saw.

Amazing book about Robin Friday

Read Chris Hoy's autobiography on holiday recently. Very enjoyable insight into how he became a 6 gold Olympian. Amazing story of dedication and hard work.

Added enjoyment was lots of Edinburgh references a la Rebus 🙂.

I was going to start a new thread on audio books but it's probably too close to this one.

I never have time to sit and read anymore so I tried audible when out with the dogs or in the car and now I'm pretty much addicted!

I've downloaded the definitive collection of Sherlock Holmes read by Stephen Fry which is excellent but at 70 hours long I'm looking to break it up with some novels.

Based on recommendations in this thread I've listened to The Amateurs which works really well as an audio (especially the tourettes!) and the first book in the Dublin Trilogy which was ok but I'm not rushing to listen to the others.

For anyone who liked Red Dwarf there are 2 books available narrated by Chris Barrie and they are absolutely brilliant! Easily my favourite so far. In contrast I used to like reading the Reacher books but the narrator on audible is dreadful and I just can't listen to him.

Does anyone have any recommendations for books they think work well as audios?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin7-0 View Post
    I was going to start a new thread on audio books but it's probably too close to this one.

I never have time to sit and read anymore so I tried audible when out with the dogs or in the car and now I'm pretty much addicted!

I've downloaded the definitive collection of Sherlock Holmes read by Stephen Fry which is excellent but at 70 hours long I'm looking to break it up with some novels.

Based on recommendations in this thread I've listened to The Amateurs which works really well as an audio (especially the tourettes!) and the first book in the Dublin Trilogy which was ok but I'm not rushing to listen to the others.

For anyone who liked Red Dwarf there are 2 books available narrated by Chris Barrie and they are absolutely brilliant! Easily my favourite so far. In contrast I used to like reading the Reacher books but the narrator on audible is dreadful and I just can't listen to him.

Does anyone have any recommendations for books they think work well as audios?
    Mathew mcconnachie autobiography green light was good almost fell for the man myself with his smooth tones

Just finished Paralllell Worlds by Michio kaku.
    Brilliant book but a bit heavy going at some parts.
    About to start Quantum Supremacy by same author.

Just started Poverty Safari by Darren McGarvey, will feedback thoughts on it soon as I’m done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    A season ticket holder who travels on the East Lothian Hibs bus has had a couple of books published.

Bobbing Heads and the follow up Consider it Done by Gavin De Bier.

I've read both and they are excellent, they've been getting good reviews as well.

Just finished the Thursday murder club trilogy. Loved it and looking forward to the 4th book coming out in September

Got the Lincoln Lawyer books lined up next

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Just finished the Thursday murder club trilogy. Loved it and looking forward to the 4th book coming out in September

Got the Lincoln Lawyer books lined up next
    I've just started the first one. It's nicely written and quite amusing. I think I'll enjoy this.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Any recommendations as the darker evenings are coming

The bookseller of Inverness by S G MacLean