hibs.net Messageboard

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Referees to explain VAR decisions to stadium

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-ifab-28990830

To be trialed at the Club World Cup and presumably rolled out worldwide after.

Suspect we'll see some filibustering from the SFA re delaying this as long as possible, and another referees' strike thereafter. They're not big fans of accountability.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Can we not just go back to the old way and bin VAR?

Is VAR fully established or a trial here? Hoping clubs vote to bin if possible

@hibs.net private member
    I was in favour of VAR but it really isn't working here. That isn't because of teh idea though. Bathwater and babies spring to mind. I think we need to persevere and clubs like our needs to work harder to point out the mistakes being made and also look at some of the figures where evidence is becoming apparent that the playing field is not level and it isn't because refs only saw it once in real time etc. The process needs to be speeded up and the idea of letting fans hear what is happening should have happened from the start.

@hibs.net private member
    I read the rules for VAR when it was first introduced by fifa and it was in the rules then that it had to be explained. However I think they got round this and still do by saying things like var checking possible penalty, offside etc.

Our corrupt FA will obviously come out with bull poo just to get the decision they want.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    Do the VAR officials have to give written justification for the decisions they make or is it all just accepted with a shake of the hand?

This is a brilliant idea.

So far the implementation of VAR in Scotland (and in many other places) has been a mess but it has the potential to be a force for good. I think it's been much better done at the couple of big international tournaments over the past couple of years.

Our current VAR is like something ordered from Wish, the angle used to decide that offside in the Celtic v Motherwell game a while back still makes laugh it was so farcical, so I'm not holding my breath that this will be any different.

We can't get the basics like proper camera angles and communication to screen operators in stadiums right so how are we going to get a sound link up that allows all fans to hear the refs conversation? It might happen in proper leagues, we'll see it here in about 50 years after said leagues have moved on to something else.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Scenario 1: Contentious incident occurs and Hibs conceed a goal. Referee gives goal. Hibs fans go ape****.

Scenario 2: VAR introduced. Contentious incident occurs and Hibs conceed a goal. Referee and VAR give goal. Hibs fans go ape****.

Scenario 3: Decision explanation introduced. Contentious incident occurs and Hibs conceed a goal. Referee and VAR give goal. Mic'd up referee explains decision "it's a pure goal cos a didnae think it wiz a foul by the way". Hibs fans mutter "ach well fair enough at least he's telt us"? OR Hibs fans go ape****?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a brilliant idea.

So far the implementation of VAR in Scotland (and in many other places) has been a mess but it has the potential to be a force for good. I think it's been much better done at the couple of big international tournaments over the past couple of years.
    Agreed, but as others have said, there is zero chance any form of accountability will be implemented here.

They’ll hid behind a multitude of excuses as to why it won't be possible in Scotland.

First Team Regular OstKurve Hibs's Avatar
    I'd rather bin the cheating ***** that operate it than var itself.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    They would have just said the other night. ‘Goal stands as we can’t see enough contact on the goalkeeper to make it a clear and obvious error by the referee’ or some similar bollocks and the incompetence/cheating will continue

With the tech now available, I don't see why VAR's from other leagues/countries can't be used to make the system more transparent - at least to fans. I'd probably find that a bit more palatable in a match against, say Rangers, than a team of Brother Beaton as ref and Nick Walsh on VAR.

If this happens there's going to be a lot of referee's with very big noses in Scotland 😂

Quote Originally Posted by OstKurve Hibs View Post
    I'd rather bin the cheating ***** that operate it than var itself.
    In a nutshell. The world cup showed that in general terms VAR can work well. They of course have referees who aren't corrupted by the Lanarkshire referee mafia, and can therefore be impartial.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The current system where every Rangers and Celtic household has a voting pad and is asked to vote on every decision seems to work fine.

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    If this happens as now there's going to be a lot of referee's with very big blue noses in Scotland 😂
    Fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by MGmick View Post
    Scenario 1: Contentious incident occurs and Hibs conceed a goal. Referee gives goal. Hibs fans go ape****.

Scenario 2: VAR introduced. Contentious incident occurs and Hibs conceed a goal. Referee and VAR give goal. Hibs fans go ape****.

Scenario 3: Decision explanation introduced. Contentious incident occurs and Hibs conceed a goal. Referee and VAR give goal. Mic'd up referee explains decision "it's a pure goal cos a didnae think it wiz a foul by the way". Hibs fans mutter "ach well fair enough at least he's telt us"? OR Hibs fans go ape****?
    Every footballing scenario eventually leads to Hibs fans going ape****, that’s part of the fun of being a Hibs fan.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Every footballing scenario eventually leads to Hibs fans going ape****, that’s part of the fun of being a Hibs fan.
    Better than being a jambo as they are ape****

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Is VAR fully established or a trial here? Hoping clubs vote to bin if possible
    Why, though?

Although they are still making bad decisions, it is less than before.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Why, though?

Although they are still making bad decisions, it is less than before.
    They make fewer bad decisions but the ones they do make sting much more than they ever did.

As long as they're going against you that is, I'm sure the The Rangers fans aren't complaining.
    Last edited by Smartie; 02-02-2023 at 02:50 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Refs will throw out the idea as it will put undo pressure on them at the game!
    Similar when people wanted refs to give the reasons for their decisions to the media, they knocked it back!!!
    Works for rugby, but in football, no chance!!!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Similar when people wanted refs to give the reasons for their decisions to the media, they knocked it back!!!
    If there’s nothing to hide there’s nothing to fear. They are already making decisions. The VAR guy has the biggest call to make. It’s those decisions that need to be explained. The ref can make mistakes. That’s the whole point of it. VAR gets multiple angles and multiple views of incidents. Just make the decision and tell us why. We might disagree like we always have but right now it’s a mess. Something needs to change.
    I don’t think binning it will be a forward step. Without VAR for instance we still lose that goal on Tuesday. What the VAR saw whilst checking it is what’s at the heart of the matter. It needs explained whether we agree with it or not. Right now are just being left angry and disillusioned.

"I gave the penalty because it's Rangers"

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    I wonder why they don't want to explain their weird, biased decisions?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I’ve always found it a very odd characteristic of referees when speaking publicly that they adopt a very similar style of language to police officers answering questions to the media. That sort of humourless monotone.

Actually, it’s probably not that strange come to think if it.

I can see that going down really well up here.

What they'll say,

"there was no sign of a clear and obvious error by the referee after he failed to give a foul when the Hibernian player was punched in the face".

What they'll be thinking,

"cos sixteen-ninety ya taig *****rds".

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk