hibs.net Messageboard

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc

Hill climbing / decent walks

Looking for some ideas having done 10 munroes looking for some decent hills to climb or good walks

What’s ur favourites ?

Ben lomand is mines so far

2. Log in to remove the advert

Which Munro's have you done? And what's your experience like in the winter? Would you be comfortable navigating in snow or whiteout or is it more for spring/summer you are looking for ideas?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Get yourself to walkhighlands.com, read the reviews/descriptions of the routes and see what you'd like to do from there - it's an incredible resource.

Shiehallion is a good one.

There is also one called "Mayar" in the SE Cairngorms that I enjoyed, it begins with a stunning walk through a glen. You can tag on a second once up there relatively easily although I didn't as conditions weren't favourable.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get yourself to walkhighlands.com, read the reviews/descriptions of the routes and see what you'd like to do from there - it's an incredible resource.

There is also one called "Mayar" in the SE Cairngorms that I enjoyed, it begins with a stunning walk through a glen. You can tag on a second once up there relatively easily although I didn't as conditions weren't favourable.
    Dreish is the other. The glen is Corrie Fee and probably one of my favourite places in Scotland. When you come out the woodland and see it ahead of you it's quite literally breathtaking.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Not a Munro but Suilven is probably my favourite mountain in Scotland, absolutely cracking views and scenery, also the Black Cuillin on Skye are hard to beat

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Not a Munro but Suilven is probably my favourite mountain in Scotland, absolutely cracking views and scenery, also the Black Cuillin on Skye are hard to beat
    The Black Cuillin are amazing but they are so different from any other hills in Scotland that it's difficult to recommend them without knowing someone's experience.

Sending a novice up Sgùrr nan Gillean without them having the ability to walk on loose scree or be proficient scramblers and a head for exposure would give me the fear.

I always say to people that being competent in navigation is an absolute essential even on the more touristy routes but as you go more remote or more technical it's worth doing one of the many courses available. I'd also say that as you go to more remote and/or exposed peaks going with a professional guide or having an experienced partner is smart, at least initially. I can remember completely freezing on the curved ridge on Stob Death despite having completed about 60+ Munros at the time. I looked down, saw the exposure and couldn't move. I was on my own and on the verge of a panic attack when I just about managed to get myself under control.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Dreish is the other. The glen is Corrie Fee and probably one of my favourite places in Scotland. When you come out the woodland and see it ahead of you it's quite literally breathtaking.
    Stunning.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

Schiehallion is fine if you dont mind the last 45 minutes walking over big rocks . And it’s also boggy as anything. Personally I think it’s a better mountain to look at from a distance than to climb but each to their own!

As others have said depends on your levels of fitness and how much you value privacy andREAL solitude (the popular routes get heaving in the summer), Ben Lawers Ben Glais next to each other and are nice and easy starts.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 22-01-2023 at 07:58 AM.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    The Black Cuillin are amazing but they are so different from any other hills in Scotland that it's difficult to recommend them without knowing someone's experience.

Sending a novice up Sgùrr nan Gillean without them having the ability to walk on loose scree or be proficient scramblers and a head for exposure would give me the fear.

I always say to people that being competent in navigation is an absolute essential even on the more touristy routes but as you go more remote or more technical it's worth doing one of the many courses available. I'd also say that as you go to more remote and/or exposed peaks going with a professional guide or having an experienced partner is smart, at least initially. I can remember completely freezing on the curved ridge on Stob Death despite having completed about 60+ Munros at the time. I looked down, saw the exposure and couldn't move. I was on my own and on the verge of a panic attack when I just about managed to get myself under control.
    I agree wholeheartedly but you don't even need to go up them, plenty of other walks round and about it, can go up Blà Bheinn and get amazing views of the whole ridge and although not easy it's nowhere near as bad as the Cuillin Ridge

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    😂 here he goes
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    You can do Corrie Fee as the way in or the way out. Either option is stunning. A decent day out for a starter is to Loch Brandy from The Clova Hotel car park.

I started munro bagging and wild camping on my own around 2016, and have been lucky enough to find some absolutely stunning spots in complete solitude (Lochnagar being a real cracker and the Mamores having plenty places to disappear for a day or two). Haven't been back up the hills for around 18 months but got a second hand DSLR camera gifted to me recently so plan to try my hand at some photography when I start climbing again.

I have this book https://amzn.to/3kBCEDV and it was my constant companion when planning trips away.
    Last edited by The_Exile; 22-01-2023 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Schiehallion is fine if you dont mind the last 45 minutes walking over big rocks . And it’s also boggy as anything. Personally I think it’s a better mountain to look at from a distance than to climb but each to their own!

As others have said depends on your levels of fitness and how much you value privacy andREAL solitude (the popular routes get heaving in the summer), Ben Lawers Ben Glais next to each other and are nice and easy starts.
    Not any more. The John Muir Trust have put a lot of work in making a really nice path.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Not any more. The John Muir Trust have put a lot of work in making a really nice path.
    That’s good to know, maybe I’ll revisit it

Apt

I've got 27 munros to go so I might finish this year but probably next. Currently swithering over whether to hire a guide for the In Pin. I did a bit of rock climbing in my youth so it wouldn't take too much to re-learn the skills, but I'd need to buy or borrow all the gear.