hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Favourite Holiday Destination

Many people will be looking to book their holidays around now.
    Bit fun to list where is best. Are we a group of staycationed? Do we go to Benidorm?
    List top three places.
    Mines:
    Italy (any part)
    France Camp Sites when kids were young
    Las Vegas - leave brain at airport.

We don’t do package holidays and never been on a cruise. Interested in others experiences.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Norway, the landscape is simply bombastic, 24hr daylight and wild camping miles from anywhere or anyone.

I realise most people would find this a bit dull but by far the most beautiful, and relaxing, place I've ever been was a town in Austria called Bad Mitterndorf, in the district of Salzkammergut..

It's an amazing Alpine valley, with incredible lakes and mountains. Every morning there was a mist across the valley that gradually disappeared by about 11. We went for walks in the valley most days and a boat trip around a lake called Altausseer See, near Bad Aussee, that had water so clear you could see all the way through.

The area's really popular with Skiers but neither of us can ski, so we went in September, when it was really quiet :-)
    Last edited by Keith_M; 20-01-2023 at 02:45 PM.

@hibs.net private member Berwickhibby's Avatar
    Has to be Vegas for sheer craziness, Jasper and the Rockies for sheer size and beauty and Lanzarote in winter to chill in the sun ☀️

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Blackpool obvs
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Depends on the type of holiday I guess.

I love Northern California - it has so much going for it with the beaches, forests, mountain ranges...the Bay Area has been a second home for the past decade for me now and I never tire of visiting. San Francisco is such a unique city, and the blending of cultures makes it such a great place to be (though I've heard a lot of bad things about how it's coped during and post-Covid - it already had issues before that, but they've been amplified considerably).

I used to regularly snowboard and used to love visiting Courcheval. So many great runs, a short hop to a cracking snow-park and the apres-ski is great.

City breaks I find hard to pick as I like discovering new places - two places I always flock back to are Edinburgh (I honestly love our capital city) and Dublin - a place I've considered moving to a few times in my life!

Finally, for beach lounging/getting pampered rotten, it would have to be the Riviera Maya in Mexico. Stayed at an all inclusive resort there in our own presidential casita for our honeymoon and it was utter paradise.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I realise most people would find this a bit dull but by far the most beautiful, and relaxing, place I've ever been was a town in Austria called Bad Mitterndorf, in the district of Salzkammergut..

It's an amazing Alpine valley, with incredible lakes and mountains. Every morning there was a mist across the valley that gradually disappeared by about 11. We went for walks in the valley most days and a boat trip around a lake called Altausseer See, near Bad Aussee, that had water so clear you could see all the way through.

The area's really popular with Skiers but neither of us can ski, so we went in September, when it was really quiet :-)
    That sounds brilliant.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    If your next threads are first pets name and mother's maiden name then I'm going to get suspicious...

Would probably say Italy too - have had a couple trips there and there is a stunning amount of variety to be had across the country, all underpinned with great food and drink. My honeymoon was Rome-Capri-Sorrento but also really liked Lake Garda/Verona.

Since you asked for top 3... I'll throw in Mexico for a relaxed resort-based holiday, the resorts in playacar are amazing and a place for glutinous indulgence and relaxing by the pool/beach.

I'll stay more local for the third and say a good walking holiday up north. A 3/4 day treck from A to B stopping off at little towns/villages for lunch/dinner/drinks en route and walking c.20 miles a day through the countryside. The feeling of sitting down with a pint in hand, food ordered, in a cosy pub, and resting some sore feet whilst looking ahead at the route for tomorrow's 20 miles is bliss.
    I've done the West Highland way, Rob Roy Way, Great Glen Way, Cateran Trail, - and although not "north" - the Ayrshire coastal path, and the Borders Abbeys Way.
    Mon the Hibs.

I'm pretty easily pleased and can make the best of most things. Holidays and days away have changed since I met my wife and even more so since we have had children but I like a mix of different holidays anyway so it's no big deal.

I like city breaks, preferably somewhere with plenty history, a city centre that is easy to navigate on foot and with nice churches to visit. In those regards Barcelona and Rome are 2 of my favourite places in the world. The latter is just such a mixture of different cultures, different ages and different architecture that it's impossible to ever tire of it. If it was solely up to me that's about the only holidays I would ever do.

I also like solitude and walking. I used to happily pack a bag with the essentials, a tarp for shelter and take off for a few days at a time on my own with a book or 2 and the means to light a fire. Again harder to just go off grid nowadays with a family but my eldest has been camping with me twice and has enjoyed it. It's a bit more official site with toilets and a shower block for the moment but it's time with just the 2 of us which I daresay will be something she won't remain interested in for too much longer.

I have a misty eyed soft spot for Blackpool as well. It's tacky, rundown, dirty and about 60 years past it's heyday but I still like it. We took my daughter during the break in the covid lockdowns just to get away for a few days. It was during the illuminations and we were sitting on the Central Pier about 8pm when all the lights came on. Her reaction was to say 'this is the best place in the world'. She'll learn of course but for a then 3 year old somewhere with bright lights, things that spin, lots of sugar and unlimited pound coins from Dad it was probably true in her world. I'm the same with caravan holidays. It's part nostalgia, part I actually just quite like them.

This year we are doing an all inclusive to Menorca. 6 years ago that would have been my idea of hell. Now the idea of not being a mobile bank for more ice cream and fizzy juice is quite appealing. There's plenty nice towns and villages in Menorca to explore so I'm sure I can squeeze a couple of days in doing that in between water parks and fighting for chips at a buffet.

In terms of a top 3 destinations I'd probably go:

Rome
    Berlin
    The whole expanse of Torridon and north west Scotland
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Menorca, for sheer beauty and tranquilness, oh and not a lot of screaming faced bairns

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Depends on the type of holiday:

Chilled beach holiday - Egypt or Turkey
    Mad bender with the boys - Benidorm
    Beautiful landscapes, stunning cities & incredible people - Kazakhstan
    Citybreak - New York

I'm off to Vegas in March so this list may well change!

You cannae ask someone their favourite holiday destination and then reply Spain lol. Madrid is very different to Barcelona which is very different to Ronda which is very different to Benidorm. Its like when you ask someone their favourite film and they say the Star Wars trilogy. Erm, naw. That's three different films 😕.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Tenerife Costa Adeje,the most relaxing holiday ever, same hotel every time with roof top plunge pool, no kids allowed.

Las Vegas

San Francisco (During Fleet Week)

York

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Menorca, for sheer beauty and tranquilness, oh and not a lot of screaming faced bairns

Agree, mate, it's really nice for a bit of sun, sand and... peace and quiet.

Has very nice caves on the south side of the island. Defo worth visiting

Repositioning cruises or world cruise segments. Repositioning is when a ship is travelling from its summer base to its winter base. For example South America to or from Europe. They are generally more than 20 nights.

Luxury while visiting places I'd only ever dreamed of visiting. Besides the one above including, Buenos Aires and Rio de Jenerio we've done New York to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal; San Francisco to Sydney via places like French Polynesia, Bora Bora, New Zealand; South Africa to Italy via places like the Seychelles, Mauritius, Petra, Suez.

Suspect one of the next ones will be round Japan (cherry blossom season) over to Alaska and down the west coast of America as far as we can get or jump off 😉 and do one of these trains through the Rockies.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Agree, mate, it's really nice for a bit of sun, sand and... peace and quiet.

Has very nice caves on the south side of the island. Defo worth visiting
    Totally, I love going for long walks along the coastline as my Wife bakes beside the pool. Majorca was fine when the kids were younger but since they have all grown up we thought about something quieter and glad we did, we love it. I never normally read on holiday but I get through a couple of good books if chilling by the pool

To completely shut off, relax and get away from it all then it has to be the Hermigua/Las Poyatas area on La Gomera. Totally different world and the area is just breath taken.

As much as I love New York I'm actually gonna go for Lisbon as my city break choice. Short flight and cheap to get to. Good weather and food, 100s to do and even some lovely beaches near by. Whats not to like. Its actually a fantastic city and 100% recommended if you have never been.

Family holiday. Well you just can't beat Disney land, especially if you get the kids at the right age. The day my daughter met Belle and the 15 minutes they spent together truly was magical and something that will live with us forever. It was like 13 years ago and its still giving me goosebumps as I type.

That being said. If I could be anywhere in the world on any given day then it would be watching the sunset while sitting on Playa Carabeo in Nerja.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Malta and Barbados. Both small islands. Wonderful people.

Berlin and Rome would be the best city breaks I’ve done.

Italy in general is my favourite holiday destination. Not been further south than Rome yet but would love to visit Naples.

@hibs.net private member
    City break - Munich
    Family - Florida
    Relaxing - Arillas, corfu (close 2nd for Kos)
    Party time - benalmadina, Malaga

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm pretty easily pleased and can make the best of most things. Holidays and days away have changed since I met my wife and even more so since we have had children but I like a mix of different holidays anyway so it's no big deal.

I like city breaks, preferably somewhere with plenty history, a city centre that is easy to navigate on foot and with nice churches to visit. In those regards Barcelona and Rome are 2 of my favourite places in the world. The latter is just such a mixture of different cultures, different ages and different architecture that it's impossible to ever tire of it. If it was solely up to me that's about the only holidays I would ever do.

I also like solitude and walking. I used to happily pack a bag with the essentials, a tarp for shelter and take off for a few days at a time on my own with a book or 2 and the means to light a fire. Again harder to just go off grid nowadays with a family but my eldest has been camping with me twice and has enjoyed it. It's a bit more official site with toilets and a shower block for the moment but it's time with just the 2 of us which I daresay will be something she won't remain interested in for too much longer.

I have a misty eyed soft spot for Blackpool as well. It's tacky, rundown, dirty and about 60 years past it's heyday but I still like it. We took my daughter during the break in the covid lockdowns just to get away for a few days. It was during the illuminations and we were sitting on the Central Pier about 8pm when all the lights came on. Her reaction was to say 'this is the best place in the world'. She'll learn of course but for a then 3 year old somewhere with bright lights, things that spin, lots of sugar and unlimited pound coins from Dad it was probably true in her world. I'm the same with caravan holidays. It's part nostalgia, part I actually just quite like them.

This year we are doing an all inclusive to Menorca. 6 years ago that would have been my idea of hell. Now the idea of not being a mobile bank for more ice cream and fizzy juice is quite appealing. There's plenty nice towns and villages in Menorca to explore so I'm sure I can squeeze a couple of days in doing that in between water parks and fighting for chips at a buffet.

In terms of a top 3 destinations I'd probably go:

Rome
    Berlin
    The whole expanse of Torridon and north west Scotland

What resort you going to in Menorca? I went twice last year with the kids to the same resort and hotel, kids had a blast as did we. Brilliant island.

Best place I've ever travelled is Japan. Friendly/helpful people, great cities, great food, everything about it was incredible.

For a European city break I really liked Brasov, Sighisoara and Sibiu in Romania. Nice architecture/sights and just that wee bit different.

For chilling out we go to dalyan in Turkey.Not a traditional resort with the beach a boat trip or 20 min bus away, but it's set by a river with tombs/ruins on the other side. It's a really beautiful setting and a lot of the accommodation is small family run pensions.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    What resort you going to in Menorca? I went twice last year with the kids to the same resort and hotel, kids had a blast as did we. Brilliant island.
    What hotel did you stay at ? Looking to book up this week

@hibs.net private member
    Right now my favourites are Palermo and Barcelona.

Palermo is gloriously chaotic and just very old school. Quite rough and ready but I absolutely love it and the people are amazing.

Barcelona will probably forever be my favourite city. One of the only places I could see myself living other than Edinburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Not totally sure.

When it comes to the beach holidays my role is paying for them, she does the choosing.

I think it's Cala Blanca but I could be wrong.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    What hotel did you stay at ? Looking to book up this week
    Stayed in Zafiro hotel in Cala en Bosch.
    Great for the kids and has a brilliant splash pool. Couldn’t get the kids out of it. Plenty entertainment for them plus stuff for the adults.
    A lot of people seemed to go all inclusive which is fine however the Marina which is a 10 minute walk is fantastic and beautiful. Plenty choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Not totally sure.

When it comes to the beach holidays my role is paying for them, she does the choosing.

I think it's Cala Blanca but I could be wrong.

We had a car for our October trip. Took a drive through to Cala Blanca. Was a nice resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    Best place I've ever travelled is Japan. Friendly/helpful people, great cities, great food, everything about it was incredible.

For a European city break I really liked Brasov, Sighisoara and Sibiu in Romania. Nice architecture/sights and just that wee bit different.

For chilling out we go to dalyan in Turkey.Not a traditional resort with the beach a boat trip or 20 min bus away, but it's set by a river with tombs/ruins on the other side. It's a really beautiful setting and a lot of the accommodation is small family run pensions.
    Dalyan is our wee secret. Go every year. Don't tell anyone else 🙂.

@hibs.net private member goosano's Avatar
    Corsica
    Costa de la Muerte in Galicia, Spain
    West coast of Harris

Paris.