hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I genuinely have no other words left to describe my admiration for Andy Murray.

What an absolute legend this guy is, I have no idea how he continues to do it.

Nearly 11 hours on court for his first two matches is unbelievable.

When men's Grand Slam tennis is played like that there's no other sport like it in my opinion, it's my favourite sport to watch when you get a match like that.
    Agreed. You think you've seen it all with him yet he continues to confound everyone. Just incredible.

Why on earth are matches allowed to continue until that time though? As Murray pointed out imagine if your kid was a ballboy/girl getting home at 5am.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Hopefully you’re right but I can’t see it. He’s basically just done the toughest nightshift possible before playing an opponent strongly fancied to beat him 2 days later. I think an anti climax is likely, but hopefully Murray can get the first set and we’ll see what happens.

I have to say I agreed with the chat about reducing 5 set tennis. Okay it produces a few epic matches, but if that’s the idea, if one of the players is involved in 3 of these great 5 set matches we want to see in one tournament, they’re basically ruled out of being able to challenge deep (perhaps super humans aside).

I’d like to see the fitness and attrition factor reduced a little in favour of ability and skill (of course not denying you already need great amount of skill to win these). And for every classic 5 setter, how many do we see where you just know the guy coming back from behind is going to outlast the other and blow them away in the final set.

I’ve loved some great 5 setters over the years, but playing for almost 6 hours until 4am in a two week tournament seems, dare I say it, a bit silly and unnecessary?
    I understand the logic behind that but I would always want 5 sets to remain as it's what sets the 4 Grand Slams apart from all the other tournaments throughout the year.

The Grand Slams have all now scrapped the no final set tiebreak rule, I think scrapping 5 sets would be a step too far.

I understand the logic behind that but I would always want 5 sets to remain as it's what sets the 4 Grand Slams apart from all the other tournaments throughout the year.

The Grand Slams have all now scrapped the no final set tiebreak rule, I think scrapping 5 sets would be a step too far.
    I was thinking about it and any reservations I had were basically sentimental, it’s “aye been” type things. Just feels like something could be done to make it a bit less radge. Doesn’t seem right that so many of the bigger 5 set wins are celebrated with a mix of knowing that the victor is pretty much snookered going forward.

I was thinking about it and any reservations I had were basically sentimental, it’s “aye been” type things. Just feels like something could be done to make it a bit less radge. Doesn’t seem right that so many of the bigger 5 set wins are celebrated with a mix of knowing that the victor is pretty much snookered going forward.
    I just think that's the challenge of winning a Grand Slam, these 4 tournaments a year are the ultimate challenge in the sport, trying to win 7 best of 5 set matches over the course of 2 weeks is something which requires the very highest levels of fitness, concentration and skill and sets the elite apart from the rest of the field.

I think for me a lot of the appeal of watching Grand Slam tennis will be lost if the Grand Slams move to best of 3 sets and whilst I'll still tune in, it would be no different to watching tournaments like Queen's etc, i.e. still good but missing that little bit extra.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Russel Kane has let himself go

I just think that's the challenge of winning a Grand Slam, these 4 tournaments a year are the ultimate challenge in the sport, trying to win 7 best of 5 set matches over the course of 2 weeks is something which requires the very highest levels of fitness, concentration and skill and sets the elite apart from the rest of the field.

I think for me a lot of the appeal of watching Grand Slam tennis will be lost if the Grand Slams move to best of 3 sets and whilst I'll still tune in, it would be no different to watching tournaments like Queen's etc, i.e. still good but missing that little bit extra.
    I take your point (and my auld man was arguing same side as you against me earlier 😂).

I guess it wouldn’t be easy, I just think something in between the two could maybe be achieved.

Anyway, if 35 yo Andy Murray manages to win his next match I’ll accept it’s not an issue 😁

I take your point (and my auld man was arguing same side as you against me earlier 😂).

I guess it wouldn’t be easy, I just think something in between the two could maybe be achieved.

Anyway, if 35 yo Andy Murray manages to win his next match I’ll accept it’s not an issue 😁
    I'm interested to know how a best of 4 match might work.

Hopefully you’re right but I can’t see it. He’s basically just done the toughest nightshift possible before playing an opponent strongly fancied to beat him 2 days later. I think an anti climax is likely, but hopefully Murray can get the first set and we’ll see what happens.

I have to say I agreed with the chat about reducing 5 set tennis. Okay it produces a few epic matches, but if that’s the idea, if one of the players is involved in 3 of these great 5 set matches we want to see in one tournament, they’re basically ruled out of being able to challenge deep (perhaps super humans aside).

I’d like to see the fitness and attrition factor reduced a little in favour of ability and skill (of course not denying you already need great amount of skill to win these). And for every classic 5 setter, how many do we see where you just know the guy coming back from behind is going to outlast the other and blow them away in the final set.

I’ve loved some great 5 setters over the years, but playing for almost 6 hours until 4am in a two week tournament seems, dare I say it, a bit silly and unnecessary?
    Alcaraz had to play a couple of very late night matches when he won the US Open last year.
    I get your point, but as SDG says, Grand Slams are the pinnacle and the top players know they are the ultimate battle. I don’t think they would want it any other way !

I'm interested to know how a best of 4 match might work.
    😁

Cameron Norrie 2 sets to 1 up v Jiri Lehecka.

Could be another late one tomorrow, Murray is scheduled on Margaret Court Arena during the night session once again!

Not before 8am GMT - that's my Saturday morning (and possibly afternoon! ) taken care of.

Huge shock as Norrie loses the last 2 sets and goes out!

So who's up for this then?

Personally cannot wait - 30-15 to Bautista-Agut in the opening game.

Come on Andy!

As expected Evans lost in straight sets to Rublev.

Bautista-Agut breaks and leads 2-0.

Not looking good so far - 3-0.

I just hope David Marshall doesn’t have too tough a run about against Novak given our kick off time tomorrow.

5-1 Bautista Agut.

Think this may be a quick one unfortunately.

First set to Bautista Agut - 6-1.

Bautista Agut breaks in the second set to go 2-1 up.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Bautista Agut breaks in the second set to go 2-1 up.
    Going to be a speedy exit I think. Can't get near this guys serve, and he's returning superbly.

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    Going to be a speedy exit I think. Can't get near this guys serve, and he's returning superbly.
    Yeah straight sets I think.

Bautista Agut is a nightmare opponent when you've been on court for nearly 11 hours.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Yeah straight sets I think.

Bautista Agut is a nightmare opponent when you've been on court for nearly 11 hours.
    Commentators just said he's won 17 straight service points against Murray. Don't think I've seen a service game as strong as this in a long time, if ever.

Murray breaks - 4-4 second set.

5-4 Murray.

I know I keep saying this but this guy is incredible.

Murray wins the second set tiebreak.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I've said it before, but he really is superhuman, what a man.

Straight sets you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs90 View Post
    Straight sets you say?
    I clearly know nothing.