hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whilst I agree and certainly understand the sentiment, its worth noting that Collins wanted Steve Hammell and Steven naismith and ended up with dross.

Whilst these were unrealistic, I wouldn't say Collins chose the players he was working with. I'd say his issue was clearly man management. He lost the dressing room.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    He lost the dressing room and recruited terribly, it would have been a difficult task replacing most of the players leaving under JC’s watch anyway but the players he brought in where largely very poor

2. Log in to remove the advert

Probably be someone we've never hearyof like the guy Hearts appointed.

Martin O'Neill

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    Martin O'Neill
    Would be a very interesting candidate I think.

Would also mirror our last attempt at a DoF type role when we brought Billy McNeill in during the Duffy disaster!

another name: Alex McLeish?

Testimonial Due
    Am not sure it is going to be a name we are familiar with and I'm quite happy with that but I don't think that will go down well with the majority of the fan base judging by the names thrown around on here and social media. Seems most have their hearts set on former players/managers getting it.

Look around the big clubs in England and other than Edu at Arsenal the DoF is usually a relatively unknown guy that's worked in clubs and has a Uni degree.

Having said all that though, I think Darren Fletcher could be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
    Am not sure it is going to be a name we are familiar with and I'm quite happy with that but I don't think that will go down well with the majority of the fan base judging by the names thrown around on here and social media. Seems most have their hearts set on former players/managers getting it.

Look around the big clubs in England and other than Edu at Arsenal the DoF is usually a relatively unknown guy that's worked in clubs and has a Uni degree.

Having said all that though, I think Darren Fletcher could be worth checking out.

Yeah I think the role is weighted more 60% director knowledge / 40% football knowledge.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    #AnnounceJimDuffy

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    #AnnounceJimDuffy
    He has the experience! Hearts DoF for a spell under Romanov 😃

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post

Isn’t he DOF at Man Utd ?? Or some sort of equivalent role

@hibs.net private member
    Don’t want John Collins anywhere near it.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Don’t want John Collins anywhere near it.
    Why not?

That was my view initially but the more I think of it, the more I come round to the idea.

- he has great knowledge of Scottish football, has worked at the biggest club in Scotland and has a solid connection with us, so understanding the club.
    - has wider experience of European football, international football and English football and contacts throughout Europe as a result.
    - has a football philosophy aligned to the club's
    - sets high standards

The obvious con is his transfer activity at Hibs but that was fifteen years ago and he's not going to be the guy that's going the ground work on recruitment targets, imho he'd be making sure that the recruitment team are identifying targets that are suited to the game here, which I think he could do.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Why not?

That was my view initially but the more I think of it, the more I come round to the idea.

- he has great knowledge of Scottish football, has worked at the biggest club in Scotland and has a solid connection with us, so understanding the club.
    - has wider experience of European football, international football and English football and contacts throughout Europe as a result.
    - sets high standards

The obvious con is his transfer activity at Hibs but that was fifteen years ago and he's not going to be the guy that's going the ground work on recruitment targets, imho he'd be making sure that the recruitment team are identifying targets that are suited to the game here, which I think he could do.
    I’m not sure how relevant his contacts would be any more? It’s such a fast moving industry and a lot has changed in the way clubs recruit players since he was a manager. Somebody else touched on it earlier but it’s basically the nerds and business people who run transfers now rather than former players who become coaches.

I’m not dead against the idea of JC but I think it’s unlikely to be him. If he never had a Hibs connection his name wouldn’t be mentioned and whilst in some ways the connection would be good, I’m not sure it’ll be enough to impress Kensell or the Gordon’s.

I hate the thread title BTW.
    Thought I’d missed something.
    DOF Confirmed?
    No he isn’t.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’m not sure how relevant his contacts would be any more? It’s such a fast moving industry and a lot has changed in the way clubs recruit players since he was a manager. Somebody else touched on it earlier but it’s basically the nerds and business people who run transfers now rather than former players who become coaches.

I’m not dead against the idea of JC but I think it’s unlikely to be him. If he never had a Hibs connection his name wouldn’t be mentioned and whilst in some ways the connection would be good, I’m not sure it’ll be enough to impress Kensell or the Gordon’s.
    I'm in agreement with you mate except the part about impressing rhe Gordon's. I can totally see them fawning over Collins.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Isn’t he DOF at Man Utd ?? Or some sort of equivalent role
    Technical Director apparently - https://www.si.com/soccer/manchesterunited/.amp/interviews/darren-fletcher-gives-clarity-role-manchester-united

His description in that article doesn't give too much away bit sounds to me like a peripheral figure in a big machine. Might fancy being the main man here.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Why not?

- sets high standards

We need someone to come in and overhaul our approach to recruitment. What are Collins credentials/experience in building a modern player identification and recruitment department? I’d rather someone who I’d never heard of but knows the role inside out over a prestigious name with little to no experience of being a DoF/leading recruitment.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I mean, if it goes as successfully as last time we introduced this structure and ends in us winning the SC again, I’ll probably struggle to find something to complain about
    You'll manage.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Why not?

- sets high standards

His signings when at Hibs were absolutely honking and he set us on a long path of mediocrity. His ego is also massive. I'm not sure what kind of relationship he would have with the manager. I think it would quickly become the John Collins show. I'm not even sure he'd want the job anyway.

Why not?

- sets high standards

The biggest con for me would be that he decided to bring in Tommy Craig to help him when he was the manager.

Collins had something about him and he really needed a right hand man who would have compensated for his own rough edges. I don't think he got that with Craig and I think a lot of his transfer issues were probably also down to Craig (as well as the board for not backing him more to bring in his preferred targets).

This job will mainly be about choosing people and I don't know that John Collins has ever really demonstrated that to be a strength of his.

Having said that, I've always thought Jon Collins has had something about him and it's a shame he hasn't really done more since his playing career. I've always felt that there's an untapped potential of some sort in there albeit alongside a good few flaws too.

I'm comfortable with the idea that this might be someone who isn't that high profile and that it might be down to cv and interview to decide on the best candidate. There are unsung heroes carrying out huge jobs at the biggest of clubs and I wouldn't mind if this ended up being similar.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Would there be space for John Park as DoF and also having Collins with a role?
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Always though Collins was a natural fit for something more akin to the role Steve Kean is doing.

Whilst a welcome development, it's a pity it's taken things getting as bad as they are before those in charge have been willing to acknowledge what has been blatantly obvious for a long time. How much of our money has been wasted on the madness of the Gordon/Kendall era to get to this point? Let's hope they get this appointment right, and allow the DOF to do his job of righting the mess he will inherit.

Glad to see us acting so try improve something which hasn’t been working for a while.

The key is obviously the right person as get the wrong candidate and doesn’t matter if we have a DOF or not we will still struggle. Personally with stay away from people who have been out the game for a while - think you need someone up to date with processes and technology.

Few things..

There is a bit of a trend recently of Ben reacting to bad press or fan pressure. Few stories with players recently to try protect them and get fans back on side.

The interview would have been scripted to get the information out in a way he wanted and fans want to hear and I would imagine he wrote the questions too.

This DOF chat the timing is odd. Why wasn’t this sorted during the break? Any co-incidence it’s to also take the heat off the manager and recruitment - quite probable.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

He's continued to operate in football since leaving Hibs and stopping managing. I'd think he's got plenty current contacts, to be honest.

He's continued to operate in football since leaving Hibs and stopping managing. I'd think he's got plenty current contacts, to be honest.
    Has he? What has he been doing other than media work?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Has he? What has he been doing other than media work?
    I don't know specifically, but I bumped into him at the airport lounge not that long ago and he was working on a presentation for UEFA on his laptop so I don't think he's been sat with his thumb up his backside.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Fitness coach 😉💪💪

I don't know specifically, but I bumped into him at the airport lounge not that long ago and he was working on a presentation for UEFA on his laptop so I don't think he's been sat with his thumb up his backside.
    That’s interesting then, cheers

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Is any of it recruitment related?