hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

The challenge not to correct bad spelling

Does anyone else wince when they see something spelt wrongly and then spend the next minute or so arguing internally about whether to post a correction?

I've managed to resist doing so up till now although I did PM someone to point out a mistake they frequently made so as to avoid them any public embarrassment. I think it was well enough received but I doubt I'll repeat it.

I know it doesn't really matter if the poster's meaning is clear, but I do find it quite uncomfortable.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone else wince when they see something spelt wrongly and then spend the next minute or so arguing internally about whether to post a correction?

I've managed to resist doing so up till now although I did PM someone to point out a mistake they frequently made so as to avoid them any public embarrassment. I think it was well enough received but I doubt I'll repeat it.

I know it doesn't really matter if the poster's meaning is clear, but I do find it quite uncomfortable.
    Im commfortable with it none of us are prefect to be honest. Its not official, its just a forum

@hibs.net private member
    Having a son who is very dyslexic but has powered on through uni I'd hate to think anybody judged him, his opinions or his work because of his spelling. Spellchecker is no good in a lot of cases . I'd hope people could be big enough to see its really not that important even for those who just struggle to spell. I'd like to see people who do stand on that high horse show a bit more inclusiveness and compassion.
    Last edited by Jay; 06-01-2023 at 12:55 PM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Having a son who is very dyslexic but has powered on through uni I'd hate to think anybody judged him, his opinions or his work because of his spelling. Spellchecker is no good in a lot of cases . I'd hope people could be big enough to see its really not that important even for those who just struggle to spell. I'd like to see people who do stand on that high horse show a bit more inclusiveness and compassion.
    Good post.

As a spelling perfectionist like HR, I struggle sometimes with my own prejudice.

I'm interested in what you say about spell-checkers. In what way are they unhelpful?

I understand spelling could be down to Dyslexia etc, the one that grinds my gears is incorrect spelling of players names. Nesbitt, Nisbit, McGeough, McGennis etc.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Good post.

As a spelling perfectionist like HR, I struggle sometimes with my own prejudice.

I'm interested in what you say about spell-checkers. In what way are they unhelpful?
    You have to have an idea of how to spell the word you want spellchecker to fix and often it brings up 3 options . How do you know what word you mean?

I am a naturally good speller but would hate to think anybodys judging my intelligence on the fact I can spell a word. I'm just glad we don't speak maths because I'm really really bad at that

People who think they are 'normal' and have the right to correct others maybe need to take a wee breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Im commfortable with it none of us are prefect to be honest. Its not official, its just a forum
    I see what you did their 😉

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    You have to have an idea of how to spell the word you want spellchecker to fix and often it brings up 3 options . How do you know what word you mean?

I am a naturally good speller but would hate to think anybodys judging my intelligence on the fact I can spell a word. I'm just glad we don't speak maths because I'm really really bad at that

People who think they are 'normal' and have the right to correct others maybe need to take a wee breath.
    Gotcha, ta.

And, yeah on the rest of your post.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    I'm a fantastic speller, but a **** typist, and my handwriting is awful. How does that fit with your world view?

Quote Originally Posted by McSwanky View Post
    I'm a fantastic speller, but a **** typist, and my handwriting is awful. How does that fit with your world view?
    Hang on, I'm not having a go at anyone, apart from maybe myself.

Why the aggression?

Hang on, I'm not having a go at anyone, apart from maybe myself.

Why the aggression?
    What aggression?

What aggression?
    Your second sentence wasn't exactly amicable.

I don't know what my world view has to do with my largely successful struggle to resist correcting wrongly spelt words.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned Ł2,389.68!

Your second sentence wasn't exactly amicable.

I don't know what my world view has to do with my largely successful struggle to resist correcting wrongly spelt words.
    You've picked me up wrong then, the 'world view' was just a turn of phrase, sorry if it came across as having a go at you.

The point I was trying to make (clumsily) is whether you'd be struggling to correct the likes of 'teh' as it's technically a spelling mistake, but really just a typo.

I'm not actually that interested by the way, it was a throwaway comment! I've now posted at least twice more than I thought I would on this thread, and because of my **** typing skills, each post probably takes me double the time of everyone else's.... Backspace ahoy

You've picked me up wrong then, the 'world view' was just a turn of phrase, sorry if it came across as having a go at you.

The point I was trying to make (clumsily) is whether you'd be struggling to correct the likes of 'teh' as it's technically a spelling mistake, but really just a typo.

I'm not actually that interested by the way, it was a throwaway comment! I've now posted at least twice more than I thought I would on this thread, and because of my **** typing skills, each post probably takes me double the time of everyone else's.... Backspace ahoy
    It's all good.

Typos are typos though. We all make them and I don't feel any need to correct them.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned Ł2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    How would you spell 'till'?

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    How would you spell 'till'?
    Is the word not until and ‘till more a colloquial-ism/verbal usage?

Just being a pedant, potentially incorrectly 😀

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Is the word not until and ‘till more a colloquial-ism/verbal usage?

Just being a pedant, potentially incorrectly 😀
    You should start a thread about grammar. This one's about spelling! 😉

However, you're mistaken.

https://englishnotes.com/up-till-now-or-until-now-what-is-the-difference/

"Up till now" and "until now" both mean “up to this point in time”. The difference is that up till now is more common in speech and informal writing, while until now is more common in edited writing and formal speech.

I pull people up as a wind up which is quite shabby, I couldn't really care less though, player names may heighten things ever so slightly but, I tend to be able to cope. 😀

@hibs.net private member

The short answer is yes, I do, frequently.

One of the greatest problems with sites is that the poster is completely anonymous mostly. Age, work or career, educational qualifications are all unknown.

It is difficult to read between the lines. I was an English language teacher in Italy years ago and the hard and fast rule I developed was that if the speaker is interested

in improving his/her skills I would correct their written and spoken English straight away. If they then spoke or wrote correctly I felt very proud.

On sites such as this I would love to correct especially incorrect past tenses but I am not sure it would go down well !

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    You should start a thread about grammar.
    https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?...Grammar-Police

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    I will admit that my spelling can be pretty poor at times, probably myself to blame for that, I never stuck in at school.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Unless you actually go back and cross reference everything you write with a dictionary, how do you know if your spelling is bad or not?

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I understand spelling could be down to Dyslexia etc, the one that grinds my gears is incorrect spelling of players names. Nesbitt, Nisbit, McGeough, McGennis etc.
    I’d like to think my spelling is generally good but I’m prone to the odd blind spot, certain words just never register properly.

The same goes for some names ie no matter how often I see or have Ms Dempster’s name spelt out to me, I have that “how does this go again” moment every single time I type her first name.

It's very rare seeing spelling gaffe's irk me as I'm not really too bothered by it. But there are two spelling things which actually make my skin crawl and I'm not sure it's something a dyslexic person would struggle with? Happy to be corrected as I just don't know.

When people spell lose as 'loose', and when people use 'should of', 'could of', and 'would of' just instantly makes me shake my head as I feel that both of these are just lazy and, to me, they are so painfully obviously wrong that there's no excuse for it. But then on the flip side I'm sure I have made plenty of daft spelling and grammar mistakes throughout my life. I cruised through school as I hated it, so there will no doubt be massive gaps in my education/basic knowledge that I'm just completely oblivous to.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    It's very rare seeing spelling gaffe's irk me as I'm not really too bothered by it. But there are two spelling things which actually make my skin crawl and I'm not sure it's something a dyslexic person would struggle with? Happy to be corrected as I just don't know.
    One of the things that irk me is rogue apostrophes popping up where they've no right to be.

Btw "irk" is a good word to use in this regard. I was going to use "annoy" but that's too strong, so "irk" works for me. So thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post

When people spell lose as 'loose', and when people use 'should of', 'could of', and 'would of' just instantly makes me shake my head as I feel that both of these are just lazy and, to me, they are so painfully obviously wrong that there's no excuse for it. But then on the flip side I'm sure I have made plenty of daft spelling and grammar mistakes throughout my life. I cruised through school as I hated it, so there will no doubt be massive gaps in my education/basic knowledge that I'm just completely oblivous to.
    I'm guilty of having done the loose one instead of lose. Unfortunately, on a massive sign for a fundraising event. I like making mistakes, good way to learn not to do the same thing wrong again.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    One of the things that irk me is rogue apostrophes popping up where they've no right to be.
    I saw that but thought I'd leave it as an example to others, now where's the facepalm smiley..........

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post

Btw "irk" is a good word to use in this regard. I was going to use "annoy" but that's too strong, so "irk" works for me. So thank you for that.
    I think Apple have a lot to answer for with the rogue apostrophes.

Quite often, perfectly sensibly written words will be autocorrected into something nonsensical and it’s not easy to catch them all.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I am impatient with poor spelling also, but I think autocorrect has a lot to answer for. That and not reviewing what has been typed before hitting send. I used to work with a chap that always ended his messages with his name “C Lawless”
    Autocorrect always changed his signature to Clueless, which on reflection wasn’t far from the truth.