hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: New Year TV

@hibs.net private member MountcastleHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CBacke

New Year TV

I admit this is a bit of a moany post and folks will probably think “get a life” but I don’t suppose anyone attempted to sit through the utter guff on the BBC this evening?

As a 32 year old, my experience of New Year TV isn’t vast, but I remember it always being a highlight and even if I was out, would want to record and watch the next again day. This year, for various reasons, the missus and I were in and if I’m honest, I wished I’d just went to my bed.

The “Oh the banter” show looking back at some of the highlights of New Year/Scottish comedy shows was watchable and nostalgic in places (especially Scotch and Wry which I remember watching VHS upon VHS with my grandparents when I was younger).

They then proceeded to follow it up with a completely unfunny “comedy” sketch show and a prerecorded Hogmanay tv show, with Lewis Capaldi (who I actually like) sounding really poor. Manran and Brooke Combe were pretty decent to be fair.

Yes I could’ve switched over or even turned on a film on one of the number of streaming services but it just wouldn’t feel like New Year. Anyway, rant over and apologies if you’ve stuck with me 😂

2. Log in to remove the advert

Been chronic for years. I had something on with Joy McAvoy on but crashed out so missed all the other stuff, woke just as the bells went. Happy New Year!

Queen of the New Year …..what on earth? A couple of sketches hit the mark but the majority of it looked like it was being made up as they went along. Awful.
    Great title though.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Queen of the New Year …..what on earth? A couple of sketches hit the mark but the majority of it looked like it was being made up as they went along. Awful.
    Great title though.
    Almost made me pine for Only An Excuse.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Watched Jools as I always do, enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Great title though.
    There were a few sketches that had potential but were just poorly executed or already out of date. Probably the difficulty in doing a show only once a year. Something like the VAR one, could have been funny but it was done by Paddy Power and at least one other company in adverts about 18 months ago when VAR was introduced in England.

I quite enjoyed the Oh The Banter show. I had no idea who about 90% of the talking heads were but some of the clips were funny and a nice nostalgia trip.

Scottish Comedy seems to go through these ruts. We have these golden generations were a fair few people come along at once then a few years when there just isn't a whole lot (in the mainstream at any rate and that's probably largely because we persisted with something like Only An Excuse for about a decade longer than we should have rather than giving something fresh a shot).

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Snap.

It's a fabulous couple of hours every year.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Ditto. Can't understand why folk watch anything else. The BBCS output is awful and has been for years nowand stv no better. Even though not all of the music would be my taste the Hootenanny is always excellent. Been our go to Hogmanay TV for years

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    I'd rather they just showed the concert from the gardens - with the odd interview with some random tourist or jakey getting pished on Princes Street.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Queen of the new year was tragic. Looked like the same type of non-football sketches that appeared in Only an Excuse in the last few years. Probably same BBC Glesca writers. You just sit there shaking your head. Who can possibly laugh at this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Queen of the new year was tragic. Looked like the same type of non-football sketches that appeared in Only an Excuse in the last few years. Probably same BBC Glesca writers. You just sit there shaking your head. Who can possibly laugh at this stuff?
    I'd almost be disappointed if BBC1 or STV managed to throw together something watchable on hogmanay. Most of the fun is to be found in laughing at how bad it is.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    I'd rather they just showed the concert from the gardens - with the odd interview with some random tourist or jakey getting pished on Princes Street.
    Get yourself a network and you've got me as a viewer next year- that sounds cracking!
    Mon the Hibs.