hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Cheltenham 2023

  1. #1
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    103

    Cheltenham 2023

    Hi guys, itís about time I think to start putting up suggestions for this years festival. I had bet A Plus Tard to retain his gold cup crown before he ran at Haydock, his run was too bad to be true and was subsequently found to have a travel sickness bug🤷*♂️. Anyway Iíve forgiven him that run and weighed in at 9-1 yesterday as when😉he wins today heís bound to half in price at least. Runs 2.20 Leopardstown. Currently 6-4 which could be huge come 2.30.🤞


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    20,477
    Backed Bravemansgame on Monday, have my doubts about The Gold Cup for him. Better suited to the Aintree Bowl me thinks. Hard to see past Flooring Porter again in The Stayers Hurdle, runs this afternoon too (race prior to A Plus Tard) having finished 1st and 2nd in the previous 2 runnings.

  4. #3
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    20,477
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Backed Bravemansgame on Monday, have my doubts about The Gold Cup for him. Better suited to the Aintree Bowl me thinks. Hard to see past Flooring Porter again in The Stayers Hurdle, runs this afternoon too (race prior to A Plus Tard) having finished 1st and 2nd in the previous 2 runnings.
    Perhaps not for Flooring Porter, I think we need to see one more run pre Cheltenham to find out.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    64
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Backed Bravemansgame on Monday, have my doubts about The Gold Cup for him. Better suited to the Aintree Bowl me thinks. Hard to see past Flooring Porter again in The Stayers Hurdle, runs this afternoon too (race prior to A Plus Tard) having finished 1st and 2nd in the previous 2 runnings.
    I backed Bravemansgame at 40/1 for the Gold Cup. Agree that it's probably not for him but we shall see.

  6. #5
    I just can't see past Galopin Des Champs for the Gold Cup, even at 7/4 I'm tempted to have (another) decent wedge on him.

    He gets Cheltenham, even falling last year he was miles ahead and it was just a silly mistake. His jumping looked much tidier at Punchestown a couple of weeks back. I'm sure he'll get the 3 miles as well, won over hurdles at the distance before and he always looks like there is plenty in the tank over 2 and a half. There's still chat he will go for the Ryanair but I can't see it, Mullins will know he has a Gold Cup horse.

    I had Protektorat last year and he ran well, nothing I saw at Haydock suggests he has regressed any but just not sure he has improved enough to go on and win it (and history is against any horse winning it for the 1st time when they have already run in the race).

  7. #6
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    20,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I backed Bravemansgame at 40/1 for the Gold Cup. Agree that it's probably not for him but we shall see.
    At least you've got a chance to lay a chunk of it off.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I backed Bravemansgame at 40/1 for the Gold Cup. Agree that it's probably not for him but we shall see.
    Not so sure about the doubters about Brave staying at Cheltenham. He had to be bumped along round the home turn to stay in touch. You could even say he was very slightly outpaced for a few strides. Certainly didn't cruise along as you might expect a speed horse to do. He then stayed on really well I thought. Better than L'Homme anyway who looked like he'd run his race when unseating at the last. If he does line up in the GC, for sure others will make it a real stayers' race in which case I'll be going Royal Pagaille for a place.

  9. #8
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    20,477
    It's been announced that L'Home Presse won't run in The Gold Cup following his mistake at the last in The King George.

  10. #9
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    20,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not so sure about the doubters about Brave staying at Cheltenham. He had to be bumped along round the home turn to stay in touch. You could even say he was very slightly outpaced for a few strides. Certainly didn't cruise along as you might expect a speed horse to do. He then stayed on really well I thought. Better than L'Homme anyway who looked like he'd run his race when unseating at the last. If he does line up in the GC, for sure others will make it a real stayers' race in which case I'll be going Royal Pagaille for a place.
    He was constantly inconvenienced by L'Homme jumping across him which didn't help, we'll just have to wait and see.

  11. #10
    L'Homme Presse out of Cheltenham. Possibly back for Aintree or Punchestown.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  12. #11
    Results from trials day yesterday throw up more questions than answers really......
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  13. #12
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    20,477
    Noble Yeats was running on strongly on Saturday, I could see him putting in another big run in The Grand National

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Noble Yeats was running on strongly on Saturday, I could see him putting in another big run in The Grand National


    I've never bought into the recent hype about him being a Gold Cup horse, that will be run at the usual ferocious pace and he'll stay on, pass a lot of tired horses up the hill but never look like winning it. He's an out and out stayer and another big run at Aintree is far more likely.

    I don't think the GC is really his target anyway.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  15. #14
    The most overhyped horse in racing history turned over at odds on, again.

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The most overhyped horse in racing history turned over at odds on, again.
    Goshen?

    I'd never put a single penny on that horse. Talent on his day but his day isn't often enough and he's a law unto himself.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Goshen?

    I'd never put a single penny on that horse. Talent on his day but his day isn't often enough and he's a law unto himself.
    Yep 🙂

    Along the lines of my thoughts. I think many punters have got seriously over excited about him because he fell when they had money on him, in one of his very few actual really good runs (a race he didnít win.. years ago) on one of the most watched days of the season.

    I decided it wasnít a lay at yesterdayís price in that company, but really should have stuck to my usual goshen formula 😃

    *also just realised this is chelts thread and not general horse racing. Given I canít see said horse running there again- my apologies!

  18. #17
    Delighted to see Galopin Des Champs stay on well to win over 3 miles today. I've got a fair wedge tied up in him for the GC and his price is only shortening after that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  19. #18
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    103
    Another horse I had bet a little while ago is Fun Fun Fun in the bumper, couple of £5 free bets on at 33ís and 25ís, won at the DRF recently and has changed ownership, Patrick Mullins bred the horse as well so fingers crossed.🤞

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    64
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1972 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another horse I had bet a little while ago is Fun Fun Fun in the bumper, couple of £5 free bets on at 33ís and 25ís, won at the DRF recently and has changed ownership, Patrick Mullins bred the horse as well so fingers crossed.🤞
    Cheers, best price 8/1 now.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    18,990
    I had a lump in my throat as Honeysuckle galloped up the Cheltenham run-in. What a horse she has been: four festival victories - two Champion Hurdles and two Mares Hurdles. Just great.

    And what can you say about Constitution Hill? There must a car engine in his chest, not a heart. The way he routed a horse as good as State Man was scary.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a lump in my throat as Honeysuckle galloped up the Cheltenham run-in. What a horse she has been: four festival victories - two Champion Hurdles and two Mares Hurdles. Just great.

    And what can you say about Constitution Hill? There must a car engine in his chest, not a heart. The way he routed a horse as good as State Man was scary.
    Yep, totally agree. I see there were some folk moaning about Honeysuckle not running in the Champion Hurdle, which in my opinion is daft, she went out on a deserved high instead of being gubbed by Constitution Hill.

  23. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, totally agree. I see there were some folk moaning about Honeysuckle not running in the Champion Hurdle, which in my opinion is daft, she went out on a deserved high instead of being gubbed by Constitution Hill.
    What is their complaint?

    She would have had no chance in the Champion Hurdle. Of course we all want the championship races to be competitive but sometimes you just get a horse that is too good. It was a one horse race whether Honeysuckle was in the field or not.

    De Bromhead got it spot on and the Mares Hurdle was an excellent race yesterday, as it has been the last couple of years.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    41,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is their complaint?

    She would have had no chance in the Champion Hurdle. Of course we all want the championship races to be competitive but sometimes you just get a horse that is too good. It was a one horse race whether Honeysuckle was in the field or not.

    De Bromhead got it spot on and the Mares Hurdle was an excellent race yesterday, as it has been the last couple of years.
    Smart placing of the horse I would have thought

  25. #24
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    20,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Delighted to see Galopin Des Champs stay on well to win over 3 miles today. I've got a fair wedge tied up in him for the GC and his price is only shortening after that.
    I think you're right, I'm coming round to the idea that Bravemansgame is an EW bet to nothing.

    A plus tard is 7lbs clear on the ratings, I think those will be the first three home in whatever order.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 16-03-2023 at 12:54 PM.

  26. #25
    Cracking run and ride on GDC there.

    Well done and nice one, Pretty Boy. I had it in some nice-looking multiples with football league winners etc, largely down to your confidence 👍

    Hope youíre having a beer and sitting on a pile of notes after that.

  27. #26
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    20,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Delighted to see Galopin Des Champs stay on well to win over 3 miles today. I've got a fair wedge tied up in him for the GC and his price is only shortening after that.
    Nice one, I backed him too, never jumped very well on the first circuit but got better the further they ran.

  28. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice one, I backed him too, never jumped very well on the first circuit but got better the further they ran.
    Thought Townend gave him a great ride and eased him into it. Bravemansgame ran a Stormer in 2nd and Ahoy Senor was tanking until the fall.

    I think I called it pretty well with Noble Years too. Ran off his feet a bit for pace as it got to the business end but stayed on to run into 4th. I reckon he'll be close again at Aintree in a few weeks time.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  29. #28
    The winner of the Gold Cup looks like a good horse and could easily win it again, but I'm not quite sure how good the form of the race was. I don't think any of the placed horses would get anywhere near the winner if the race was run any differently. Noble Yeats, who over this distance is a bit of a plodder was running through the also rans at a rate of knots to grab a place, but I agree he will be a danger to all in the National. But the winner could only beat what was in front of him and he did that comfortably. Very good horse IMO.

  30. #29
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    103
    Just back yesterday from Cheltenham in which overall it wasnít a bad week punting wise, had 3 of the jollies on the 1st day in a treble which cleared my day though if Nico had ridden out Constitution Hill up the run in, my 10 lengths or over bet at 3-1 wouldíve came up(won by 9!)

    Least said about Wednesday the better.

    Just when I was about to give up all hope, Envoi Allen got me out of a hole, jumped so well it could maybe be the Gold Cup next year. Had seen Seddon win and jump well last time and thought heíd have a decent ew chance at 22-1 and he came up trumps!!

    Had Lossiemouth in the 1st on the Friday,A.P.T in the Gold cup, not sure what wouldíve happened but G.D.C wouldíve taken some stopping, brilliant ride from Paul Townend.

    We go again next year!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)