hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: RIP Terry Hall

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

RIP Terry Hall

Just announced on The Specials socials. ***** news!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Gutting that, absolutely tremendous artist

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

Sad news indeed.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Everyone with kids will remember the first song apart from kids songs that they loved. For my boy it was "Message to you Rudy". RIP Terry Hall

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    So sad. His music will live on. RIP
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member
    Aw ****ing naw 😞

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Another one gone far too soon.

Still got the 7" single of Gangsters, wasn't really my type of music at the time but it blew me away. And he could write a great pop tune as well.

First Team Breakthrough
    Another musical hero from my youth passing away far to early , it's been an absolutely brutal period recently with Wiko Johnson, Keith Leviene , Jet Black all passing away and now Martin Duffy's death has been announced today R.I.P. to them all

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Rip Terry. For me growing up in an era of growing unrest a song like Ghost town really hit the mark. Truly saddend at the news. Saw the Specials live twice a great band.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    A tough read this…,,

“We had it all planned out. Make the album we were going to do in 2020 – a reggae album.
    Record in Los Angeles in November. We had the studio booked, flights paid for, accommodation sorted. Roger Rivas from The Agrolites was going to co-produce. Shepard Fairey was going to do the cover. Lynval, still recovering from his spinal surgery earlier in the year, was over in the UK and raring to go. Terry had the framework for 8 tunes. Confidence was high. We were set to meet up with Nikolaj and make magic. This was in September. Terry e-mails everyone and says he’s in bed with a stomach bug and can’t do the first week of pre-production sessions. No big deal, we can knock everything back a week. We’re not due to fly out until November 4th. The next week, Terry is no better and is in hospital. There’s not much we can do except wait for him to get better. Sunday October 2nd and I get a phone call from Manager Steve.
    And everything turns to ****.
    Terry’s illness is a lot worse than we thought.
    He has been diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas which has spread to his liver.
    This is serious. Like life-threatening serious.
    He has developed diabetes due to his pancreas being attacked. This has to be treated first, then it’s a regime of chemotherapy.
    There is nothing anyone can do. Everything is put on hold.
    Terry is emphatic that no-one be told about this. If anyone asks, he’s managing his diabetes.
    The chemo treatment starts favourably but it seems that it would be March 2023 at the earliest before we’d be in any position to work. He is in and out of hospital to stabilise the diabetes issue and also to manage pain.
    It then goes quiet.
    Beginning of December and reports are not good. Terry has lost a lot of weight and is very frail. His friend Ian Broudie visits and phones Manager Steve. He fears that Terry is slipping away.
    15th December and Manager Steve drives up to London to visit. He calls me on his return journey and says things are not looking promising. Terry is dying. The next day he is put on morphine and is more-or-less unconscious for most of the time. I thought it would be best for me to go and visit but Lindy, his wife, advises against it. She has held her phone to Terry’s ear so that his sisters and Lynval can say their goodbyes. She suggests I do the same. So, I did. It was tough.
    Terry died around half past 5 the next evening, Sunday 18th December.
    The world has lost a unique voice and I have lost a good friend.”
    Horace.

Such a shame pancreatic cancer really is a ******

@hibs.net private member
    I am the same age as he was and remember his songs so well. I had absolutely no idea of the hell he must have undergone as a 12 year old in France.

My respect for him has grown exponentially since I read of his bravery and fortitude in not letting his attackers dominate his attitude to life.

His morose demeanour at the time I thought was a stage act .... poor poor man. Rest in peace.