hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought he was playing in the Portuguese u23 league
    He was on loan there from Rainbow FC before he then went on loan to us.

2. Log in to remove the advert

How long does he need to settle in? There's young players all over the world who settle in and hit the ground running. He's been here 6 months and is still crap. He's on a 5 year deal at more than £3k a week. Our recruitment department need to have a serious word with themselves because he's not the only summer signing who is horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    How long does he need to settle in? There's young players all over the world who settle in and hit the ground running. He's been here 6 months and is still crap. He's on a 5 year deal at more than £3k a week. Our recruitment department need to have a serious word with themselves because he's not the only summer signing who is horrendous.
    6 months, 12 days, 7 hours, 43 minutes and 2.5 seconds, then he will magically be all settled in like a native.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    A young man that's moved away from his family in Portugal to join our club , having to adapt to different weather , food and everything else that comes with a life changing move also probably not knowing many people in Scotland as well . That must have taken some courage on his part to do imo . He's not even a year at us and he's been badly treated at one of the matches he played in now he's getting called a ' waste of money ' . Awful comments and treatment he's been getting when what we should all be doing is being patient with this young man and giving him our utmost support!
    I long for the day we sign a player and they are ready for the first team the moment they put the ink on the contract.

He’s nowhere near as bad as he’s being made out to be that’s for sure. There have been plenty players that join a club and it takes time for them to hit the levels they need, Boyle wasn’t great when he signed as an example. Why folk can’t be patient baffles me. Even Newall to a point was crap when he signed albeit played out of position and he’s far improved.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    He’s nowhere near as bad as he’s being made out to be that’s for sure. There have been plenty players that join a club and it takes time for them to hit the levels they need, Boyle wasn’t great when he signed as an example. Why folk can’t be patient baffles me. Even Newall to a point was crap when he signed albeit played out of position and he’s far improved.
    I remember a certain player called Emmanuel Petit who was ridiculed by all in sundry in his first season in England

He was 27 and coming from France but yet it took him a full season to look anything but poor

I believe Wenger said it take a season for foreign players to fully settle

I'm certainly no writing anyone off after so little football

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Thought he was playing in the Portuguese u23 league
    He was but don't let facts get in the way of someone having a go at the club or a player.

Boyle wasn’t the player he turned in to but he was a threat and has one very obvious attribute. Tavares has shown zilch. There has to be a bit in between where you see a bit of something in players but we haven’t seen anything from Tavares (he’s not alone in that).

If the answer is just to ‘be patient’ with these players then we’ll find ourselves in The Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Boyle wasn’t the player he turned in to but he was a threat and has one very obvious attribute. Tavares has shown zilch. There has to be a bit in between where you see a bit of something in players but we haven’t seen anything from Tavares (he’s not alone in that).

If the answer is just to ‘be patient’ with these players then we’ll find ourselves in The Championship.
    But we have fun in the championship 🤣😁🥳

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    I remember a certain player called Emmanuel Petit who was ridiculed by all in sundry in his first season in England

He was 27 and coming from France but yet it took him a full season to look anything but poor

I hate to contradict but Petit joined summer of 97 and won the double in his first season at Arsenal. Arsène may well have said those words but he was pretty much an instant success next to Vieira in one of the first pivot midfields.

But I agree with your general point.

Smally you're a football coach, do you think Taveres is going to turn in to a player?

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

Pretty much this. We aren’t in a position to be patient. We’re currently dropping down the league and losing games regularly. We need players to contribute and quickly. Tavares has been a massive waste of money as it stands.

The boy Aberdeen signed, although he’s a cheat, has given them way more and he was signed from the exact same team/level.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Pretty much this. We aren’t in a position to be patient. We’re currently dropping down the league and losing games regularly. We need players to contribute and quickly. Tavares has been a massive waste of money as it stands.

The boy Aberdeen signed, although he’s a cheat, has given them way more and he was signed from the exact same team/level.
    Agree. I’ve said multiple times that I don’t believe a lot of the frustration is being aimed at the individual players, it’s at the club. If you have a functioning and performing team then it’s fine bringing in a Melkersen or a Tavares and being patient. It also gives them a fairer crack at things when they get on to the pitch.

When you look at how last season went and how this season is going, it’s hardly surprising there is a lack of patience.

Absolutely, the stick he’s got based on very very little game time is madness.

Most people from Scotland moving to Portugal would probably take a while to adapt in a normal job, never mind football.

New in a country and one of your only starts is against Livi on an artificial pitch where he was just getting booted at every oppertunity. He wouldn’t have experienced anything like that before.

He’ll come good if given a chance

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I hate to contradict but Petit joined summer of 97 and won the double in his first season at Arsenal. Arsène may well have said those words but he was pretty much an instant success next to Vieira in one of the first pivot midfields.

Hmm, I didn't check but you raw right - maybe it was the initial part of the season

I have a vivid memory of him having a mare and almost feeling sorry for him as the comms were basically saying he's no where near good enough

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

It was Robert Pires who was absolute garbage for the first 6 months or so he was at Arsenal. Signed in 2000, fans wanted rid of him. He helped them win the league the next year and won player of the year awards.

So your point is very valid about taking time for players to settle.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSauzee View Post
    It was Robert Pires who was absolute garbage for the first 6 months or so he was at Arsenal. Signed in 2000, fans wanted rid of him. He helped them win the league the next year and won player of the year awards.

Mind im nearing 40 so I could be confusing them

Point is the same, some folk will hit ground running but lots of (particulary) younger players from overseas take time to adapt

Hibs have/had high hope for Jair but I remember LJ talking about him settling or trying to adapt to the Scottish game

I think we ridicule far too quickly as a fan base or certainly as a message board

Mind im nearing 40 so I could be confusing them

Point is the same, some folk will hit ground running but lots of (particulary) younger players from overseas take time to adapt

Hibs have/had high hope for Jair but I remember LJ talking about him settling or trying to adapt to the Scottish game

I think we ridicule far too quickly as a fan base or certainly as a message board

Wait till you hit 50, happens to me all the time

Interesting thing about Petit, my cousin lives in the new housing development on the site of the old Highbury; you can still see the outlines of the old pitch where there are now landscaped gardens etc. Manu Petit is one of his neighbours, he must have developed a soft spot for the club for him to have kept a house in the old stadium.

I'm happy to be patient but they need to show something but maybe inconsistent. I'll stick up for Bojang a bit, yes he's shown some poor play but in the the few mins he's been on the pitch in every game he's got into a position to have a shot at goal which is more than can be said for the vast majority of the others.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19

Maybe if we seen him for longer than 10 minutes in a game we might get to see what type of player he is.

North of 3k? for 5 years? Wow, for promise and potential? which more than likely will be unfulfilled

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    It’s mid December. Has he contributed anything of note so far ? So at present however harsh a comment stating he’s a waste of money may seem it’s not inaccurate. I’m not defending the comment made at Dundee Utd, but it was one isolated incident, by one individual. I’ve not heard anything to suggest he doesn’t get supported in the game time he’s had with us. Personally I think he’s not looked as bad in the past few games as he did against Livingston away, but it’s still nothing to get excited at by any means imo.

Do you not think people know Hibs players, board members, agents etc. ? Edinburgh is a small place, people talk and information does get out.

It’s a general theme, but we as a club cannot afford to be paying big money on transfers for players who may come good in a few years time or wages on guys who are offering nothing, not while the first team is struggling badly and the riches of European group stage football is available.
    It is mid December and he's has had a slow start but maybe you and others should look at it from a different angle being it can't be easy for him to make such a move at such a young age . (And it shows great courage on his part btw) The lifestyle changes for him must be massive as well as missing his family and home must be very hard on the guy .I always felt he was going to need time specially with trying to adapt to our league which I'd say is much quicker and definitely more physical . He's only 21year old lad who's not even a year at us yet and needs a lot more time to adjust and adapt , calling him a waste of money is harsh and unfair at this stage in his development imo . The one isolated incident , by one individual as you say was about as bad as you can get and must have hurt him greatly ( it would me) probably have a effect on his football too . If he's getting criticised on here it's more than likely he's getting it at games too . I've seen fans before booing and hurling abuse at players before at ER for nothing else than there own gratification. Sad really . Of course people know board members, players, Agents and so on and people do talk , problem with people talking though the story grows arms and legs the more it's talked about at times .Missing out on the riches of European football isn't Tavares fault in anyway nor should he be made a scapegoat for anything. Jamie Vardy was 23 year old before he started to blossom as a player at Halifax town just a wee example of players needing time to develop btw. Also some footage of the waste of money as you call him ! .
    https://youtu.be/l76hAsOiktY

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSauzee View Post

He was signed to replace Overmars, who was an absolute flying machine, but he was pretty slow. I thought the jarring difference in style made it tougher for him to win their fans over.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbDailly View Post
    He was signed to replace Overmars, who was an absolute flying machine, but he was pretty slow. I thought the jarring difference in style made it tougher for him to win their fans over.
    Pires had just left Marseille, where he’d gone on strike, had physical altercations with some of their ultras and had his apartment broken into multiple times so he was dealing with a few things at the time

He went on to become an Arsenal great so it worked out for all parties in the end.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    It is mid December and he's has had a slow start but maybe you and others should look at it from a different angle being it can't be easy for him to make such a move at such a young age . (And it shows great courage on his part btw) The lifestyle changes for him must be massive as well as missing his family and home must be very hard on the guy .I always felt he was going to need time specially with trying to adapt to our league which I'd say is much quicker and definitely more physical . He's only 21year old lad who's not even a year at us yet and needs a lot more time to adjust and adapt , calling him a waste of money is harsh and unfair at this stage in his development imo . The one isolated incident , by one individual as you say was about as bad as you can get and must have hurt him greatly ( it would me) probably have a effect on his football too . If he's getting criticised on here it's more than likely he's getting it at games too . I've seen fans before booing and hurling abuse at players before at ER for nothing else than there own gratification. Sad really . Of course people know board members, players, Agents and so on and people do talk , problem with people talking though the story grows arms and legs the more it's talked about at times .Missing out on the riches of European football isn't Tavares fault in anyway nor should he be made a scapegoat for anything. Jamie Vardy was 23 year old before he started to blossom as a player at Halifax town just a wee example of players needing time to develop btw. Also some footage of the waste of money as you call him ! .
    https://youtu.be/l76hAsOiktY

I am not disputing he is going through lifestyle changes. Yes it’s maybe harsh and we are talking about Tavares specifically, but it’s a general point that we’ve signed too many players “with promise” who aren’t delivering, all the while we are demonstrating relegation form. Tavares is one of them. I repeat I’m saying so far he has been a waste of money. Can you really dispute that ?

You are speculating that he’s getting criticised during games. Personally I’ve not heard any of that.

I know where I heard the figure he’s getting. I can’t speak for Brooster, but I will say he is usually spot on with any info he shares.

I watched his videos at the time of his signing. Unfortunately I’ve watched enough of highlight reels of players who have delivered nothing close when playing for us. I take them all now with a pinch of salt.

@hibs.net private member
    I think the simple fact is , with a five or so year deal, the manager and the club expected Tavares to be an important player and as yet he isn’t . I’m guessing now that they know him, they see him as work in progress …it happens - but they’ll be a bit underwhelmed so far ..as are we.

Holy Christ I hope that weekly figure is a mistake. If not, then we may as well pack it in. 3k a week for a freestyle footballer

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I think the simple fact is , with a five or so year deal, the manager and the club expected Tavares to be an important player and as yet he isn’t . I’m guessing now that they know him, they see him as work in progress …it happens - but they’ll be a bit underwhelmed so far ..as are we.
    If they thought that they need binned as well as Tavares

Tavares i think will get other opportunities. I'd be amazed if Bojang kicks a ball for us again.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think in the majority of cases with our signings (not just Tavares) it is the player themselves folk have issues with although Bojang was called out very early by some.

I think folk would have more patience if it was a one-off player bought under these circumstances and would probably cut them more slack.

Similarly, if we were on a decent run of results with a settled team, Tavares lack of impact would probably be ignored.

It is the fact that it is a never-ending series of similar signings on the back of a shocking 2 years with none of these signings contributing a thing.

They are effectively all tarred with the same brush and written off very early.

TBH Hibs must be a bloody awful place to be for players at the moment as we all have next to zero patience and they are castigated for every mistake.

I am as guilty as anyone, and for some reason we all seem to have our individual players who receive a disproportionate amount of criticism, mine being by Cabraja.

It is not a healthy situation for anyone, supporter, player or team and we are individually and collectively going to need to try and rise above it and get backing the players and the team.