hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tavarez in my opinion was another punt that has not worked, maybe he looked good in the standard he was playing at, but apart from being able to go past his man running back the wrong way, i dont think i've ever seen him beat a man and deliver a meaningful cross or a decent shot at goal.
    Perhaps he won’t play until folks pronounce his name properly :) i think (just a hunch) we have a better chance of seeing what h can do now the days are getting longer.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

An article blowing sunshine up the bum of Duk, who played alongside Tavares last season.

I just can't help being irritated by this - we scouted that team and signed Tavares, while Aberdeen got Duk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64718704

Quote Originally Posted by HerbDailly View Post
    An article blowing sunshine up the bum of Duk, who played alongside Tavares last season.

I just can't help being irritated by this - we scouted that team and signed Tavares, while Aberdeen got Duk

Duk wouldn't get in our team either. Who would we drop?

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Duk wouldn't get in our team either. Who would we drop?
    Duk been pretty consistent all season for them. 13 goals and 6 assists is a good return. He’d have played most weeks had he been here and in the form he’s been in. It’s not as if everyone is available every week.

Think Aberdeen paid a few quid for him so no surprise he’s been significantly better than Tavares.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Duk been pretty consistent all season for them. 13 goals and 6 assists is a good return. He’d have played most weeks had he been here and in the form he’s been in. It’s not as if everyone is available every week.

Think Aberdeen paid a few quid for him so no surprise he’s been significantly better than Tavares.
    I believe Aberdeen paid £400k for him

Don't like him as he's a total diver. Though scored a cracking goal against Dundee United last week.

https://youtu.be/VlNM-K4As-k?t=79

The lack of chances for Tavares is a really weird one.

Yes he may not have adjusted as good/quick as we thought but surely the best way to do that is minutes on the pitch.

Earlier in the season we were struggling creating and still nothing. We persevered with Youan who was poor and now looks 10x the player for it.

At times Tavares has been a bit naive on the ball but he’s also shown little glimpses of his ability.

I really thought after the World Cup break he’d have gotten a chance, especially with impressing against Middlesbrough and Raith who he was brilliant against.

I just want to see him get a chance. McKirdy has had loads more minutes than him and hasn’t got a goal or assist, but even with him I think there’s an argument he needs a start/run of games too.

Wingers are inconsistent, but to bring them in from the cold when they’re low on confidence and expect them to instantly make a difference rarely happens.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Yes he may not have adjusted as good/quick as we thought but surely the best way to do that is minutes on the pitch.

Earlier in the season we were struggling creating and still nothing. We persevered with Youan who was poor and now looks 10x the player for it.

At times Tavares has been a bit naive on the ball but he’s also shown little glimpses of his ability.

I really thought after the World Cup break he’d have gotten a chance, especially with impressing against Middlesbrough and Raith who he was brilliant against.

I just want to see him get a chance. McKirdy has had loads more minutes than him and hasn’t got a goal or assist, but even with him I think there’s an argument he needs a start/run of games too.

Wingers are inconsistent, but to bring them in from the cold when they’re low on confidence and expect them to instantly make a difference rarely happens.
    From the limited time of seeing both for Hibs, Mckirdy looks like a footballer, Taveres doesn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    From the limited time of seeing both for Hibs, Mckirdy looks like a footballer, Taveres doesn’t.
    Really struggle to see how anyone can say that after Tavares limited time.

Really weird thing for me is that he always makes the bench. Suggests he must be a good pro (compared to a Bojang for example) but the coaching team clearly don’t want to use him either. All very strange.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Really struggle to see how anyone can say that after Tavares limited time.

Really weird thing for me is that he always makes the bench. Suggests he must be a good pro (compared to a Bojang for example) but the coaching team clearly don’t want to use him either. All very strange.
    Unless he has a big % appearance payment in his contract

Duk was a regular starter and one of the main players in Benfica's B team, while Tavares was nearly always a sub and made about 80% of his appearances last season coming off the bench for the last few minutes of games. Quite how anyone at Hibs thought a sub for Benfica's B team would be a good signing is another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Duk was a regular starter and one of the main players in Benfica's B team, while Tavares was nearly always a sub and made about 80% of his appearances last season coming off the bench for the last few minutes of games. Quite how anyone at Hibs thought a sub for Benfica's B team would be a good signing is another thing.
    Duk was not a regular starter or a main player for the team, even the BBC article in the post you quoted has him only making 6 starts for the B team, with 14 appearances from the bench. Jair also had 6 starts with 18 appearances from the Bench. Duk, playing CF scored 8 goals, Jair playing LW scored 4 goals with 1 assist.

To be fair it seems like Duk missed a fair chunk of games with injury, but his appearance rate from the rest of the season would have suggested only another 3 or so starts in that 10 games.

Duk averaged 30.9 mins of game time per appearance and Jair averaged 29.1 mins of game time per appearance which would suggest that they had a similar importance to the team IMHO.

We took a gamble on someone who showed some promise in Benfica's B team, not really any different to looking in the reserves of EPL sides, exactly the type of market we have to keep an eye on and, sometimes, take a gamble on. Guys like Jair and Melkerson have been the main casualties of the failed development/B team concept as they're clearly not good enough for the first team yet but had no-where else to get game time.

Jair is a year younger than Duk, and at that age a year can make a significant difference. I'd be surprised if we don't try to move him on in the summer because it hasn't worked as well as we clearly hoped it would but, if he does end up staying, maybe with a year under his belt here he'll be more settled next season and start to make a similar impact to Duk.

This season has been an absolute mess for many reasons and I am not surprised a young guy coming to a new country and a new style of football in a bloated, seemingly demoralised, squad has struggled.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike

Aberdeen's wage bill is around double ours.

No way we would ever be able to compete with them for a player we both want

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post

That’s not all spent on players though. They’ve got near enough everything in house apparently whilst we outsource a load of stuff, so they have alot of extra staff appearing on their wage bill that we don’t.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 16-03-2023 at 12:39 PM.

I think with Jair there’s maybe just been too many variables that just hasn’t went for him

- Moving to a new country
    - Pressure - Openly said he never wanted the number 10 to begin with
    - Lack of B team/reserve fixtures
    - Higher level and completely different league than previously played

A lot to deal with for a young player

Thought he looked OK vs Raith also and has not featured since apart from 7 minutes vs Kilmarnock.

That's why I asked last week why have him on the bench if there's no future for him when LJ could of used a youngster instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post

Their spend on playing staff will be nowhere near double ours.

I've had a seethe bubbling away about this whole thing for ages, but for some reason I'm suddenly very happy that Aberdeen signed Duk!
    Isn't that the damnedest thing?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I think with Jair there’s maybe just been too many variables that just hasn’t went for him

Or he’s just crap which is the actual answer

First Team Regular
    The Tavares signing hasn't worked out so far. But why would we not be looking at players from the likes of Benfica's B team? Benfica are in the quarter finals of the Champions League so the gulf between them and Hibs is massive.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

mall that plus, a winter in Scotland versus Lisboa…

it’s the lack of light that gets a lot of the folks I’ve met from sunnier climes and can’t be understated - that said Latapy adapted but net everyone is the same and Russell was older.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Or he’s just crap which is the actual answer
    Correct, no other way to dress it up.

Seems to have done well in a reserve game scoring one and also turning provider . Lee Johnson seems to imply he's not adapted to the Scottish game yet .
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...ve-win-4073991

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Seems to have done well in a reserve game scoring one and also turning provider . Lee Johnson seems to imply he's not adapted to the Scottish game yet .
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...ve-win-4073991
    Good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Good read.
    Yes it was a interesting article. Tavares is definitely a skillful player , just hasn't adapted to Scottish football and needs more time .

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Yes it was a interesting article. Tavares is definitely a skillful player , just hasn't adapted to Scottish football and needs more time .
    I'm not sure Tavares will ever get a game for us, McGeady, Youan and Boyle out injured or suspended and he brings on Mckirdy and Henderson to play wide after Hoppe had been invisible all game,leaving Tavares spectating again.
    Baffling signing, he is at best 7th in line for a start out wide, can't see him having 10 on his back next season if he's still here.
    I was hoping he would get a chance yesterday

Gave up on Jair now under LJ as soon as Henderson was announced.

Plays well and gets praised after a good performance for the development team then at 3-1 down can't even bring him on for some minutes.

I saw Tavares described as a 'human victory cigar' during one of our recent wins. Haven't seen anything else to convince me otherwise. And Bojang looked as if he had never seen a football in his life.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Gave up on Jair now under LJ as soon as Henderson was announced.

Plays well and gets praised after a good performance for the development team then at 3-1 down can't even bring him on for some minutes.
    I’m not convinced Jair or Bojang were Johnson signings anyway. We’re still felling the pain of Ian Gordon dabbling in transfers

Not his fault but having Jair on the bench and not getting game time might be a reason why some of our younger players are wanting out.