hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    That Mount Everest 8850m is the highest mountain on Earth.

Okay bear with me, and the answer is not K2 either! So if you take the highest mountain to be the one nearest space or a point in space, like the moon or if you prefer the farthest distance from the Earths centre, then the highest mountain is Chimborazo in Ecuador, it is from base to peak 6263m but because the Earth is not a perfect sphere but an oblate spheroid and Chimborazo also sits on a bump on the Earths crust that is on the bulge at the equator it actually measures 10920m. Now even if you define the tallest mountain as the measurement from base to peak Everest still doesn't win, that prize goes to Mauna Kea in Hawaii, from it's base in the Pacific Ocean to it's peak it is 10000m, which is over a mile taller than Everest.

And for a bonus, The Earth orbits around the sun.

Technically the Earth orbits around the barycentre of the solar system which is constantly changing. The Sun has 99% of the solar systems mass which means the barycentre is usually somewhere near the surface of the Sun, but there can be times when it is not within the sun at all which means the Earth at that time is orbiting an empty piece of space near the sun.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Okay bear with me, and the answer is not K2 either! So if you take the highest mountain to be the one nearest space or a point in space, like the moon or if you prefer the farthest distance from the Earths centre, then the highest mountain is Chimborazo in Ecuador, it is from base to peak 6263m but because the Earth is not a perfect sphere but an oblate spheroid and Chimborazo also sits on a bump on the Earths crust that is on the bulge at the equator it actually measures 10920m. Now even if you define the tallest mountain as the measurement from base to peak Everest still doesn't win, that prize goes to Mauna Kea in Hawaii, from it's base in the Pacific Ocean to it's peak it is 10000m, which is over a mile taller than Everest.

Technically the Earth orbits around the barycentre of the solar system which is constantly changing. The Sun has 99% of the solar systems mass which means the barycentre is usually somewhere near the surface of the Sun, but there can be times when it is not within the sun at all which means the Earth at that time is orbiting an empty piece of space near the sun.
    Also Mount Everest sits on a plateau that is already extremely elevated. The actual mountain itself is actually not that big in comparison to some other mountains that don't sit on a plateau. This is why Mount Everest has became a fairground for even the most inexperienced climbers. Take away the death zone and it is a fairly easy climb in good weather by all accounts.
    Last edited by Edina Street; 08-02-2023 at 01:48 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edina Street View Post
    Take away the death zone and it is a fairly easy climb in good weather by all accounts.
    🤔
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    🤔
    A bit like saying falling out of a plane is a fairly safe thing to do..... if you take away the landing bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. ****gy View Post
    A bit like saying falling out of a plane is a fairly safe thing to do..... if you take away the landing bit.
    I think the poster may have been suggesting that among some mountaineers Everest isn't considered a particularly technical climb, certainly not in the same league as K2 or Annapurna among others.

I read a book on the 96 Everest disaster and that lack of true technical difficulty was put forward as one of the reasons for the danger and high level of fatalities. There are people with no real climbing ability almost being dragged up the mountain by Sherpas and other guides. Overcrowding and the subsequent time spent in the 'death zone' above 8000m coupled with ego and a desire among guiding companies to conduct successful summits because it's good for business is often the catalyst for disaster.

Of course if you fall into a crevice on the Khumbu icefall you'd probably not be too persuaded by an argument that it's not all that technically difficult.....

Part of me wishes that some among the native peoples get their wish and Everest is returned to a sacred place free from human activity.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think the poster may have been suggesting that among some mountaineers Everest isn't considered a particularly technical climb, certainly not in the same league as K2 or Annapurna among others.

I read a book on the 96 Everest disaster and that lack of true technical difficulty was put forward as one of the reasons for the danger and high level of fatalities. There are people with no real climbing ability almost being dragged up the mountain by Sherpas and other guides. Overcrowding and the subsequent time spent in the 'death zone' above 8000m coupled with ego and a desire among guiding companies to conduct successful summits because it's good for business is often the catalyst for disaster.

Of course if you fall into a crevice on the Khumbu icefall you'd probably not be too persuaded by an argument that it's not all that technically difficult.....

Part of me wishes that some among the native peoples get their wish and Everest is returned to a sacred place free from human activity.
    Having had a fascination with big mountains from an early age, I'm aware of much of this.

In fact, my reply was to a post of HR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. ****gy View Post
    Having had a fascination with big mountains from an early age, I'm aware of much of this.
    Ooh baby I love your way 😉

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Ooh baby I love your way 😉
    Gee.

Thanks, man.

@hibs.net private member
    Don’t eat before you swim or you’ll sink.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post

This post is brilliant, I didn't know any of that and my mind is blown!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This post is brilliant, I didn't know any of that and my mind is blown!
    Yep. I can’t wait to correct someone on either of those things… even if I won’t remember any of the details to do so!

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Yep. I can’t wait to correct someone on either of those things… even if I won’t remember any of the details to do so!
    That's what bookmarks are for!

That's what bookmarks are for!
    He’s making it up as he goes along!!

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    He’s making it up as he goes along!!
    It's the voice ��

https://youtu.be/3Eyx_DhepDg
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 14-02-2023 at 03:07 PM.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

It's the voice ��

https://youtu.be/3Eyx_DhepDg
    Who, me? Oh - thank you very much.

According to The Scotsman, Alan Sneddon only having one eye is a myth.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...-games-2984362
    Alan Sneddon on Euro nights with Celtic, fights for clean kit and regulation balls at Hibs and the myth he played with only one eye.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    That Volkswagen are predominantly a car manufacturer.

VW also produce sausages, and as of 2015 they produced and sold more sausages than cars.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

Things that people believe are true, but aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

VW also produce sausages, and as of 2015 they produced and sold more sausages than cars.
    Hmm not sure about this one!

They are undoubtedly predominantly a car manufacturer, nothing untrue about that statement.

And aye they make a few sausages on the side (originally for their staff) but clearly one sausage is not exactly equal to one car!

A bit like the Peugeot salt n pepper shakers doesn’t stop them being a car company the VW sausage is an interesting story but not one that makes it onto their financial statements…

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

And aye they make a few sausages on the side (originally for their staff) but clearly one sausage is not exactly equal to one car!

Ever tried barbecuing a car?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Hmm, sorry to contradict you, but they are predominantly a car manufacturer.

They sell more sausages but they generate a fraction of the income they get from vehicles.

You'd get a lot of currywurst for the price of one VW Golf!

Edit: I started to type this a while ago but was interrupted and now I see others have posted similar.

Ever tried barbecuing a car?
    There was a car called a hot dog.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/shad...4809561105262/

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Rhoades View Post
    Don’t eat before you swim or you’ll sink.
    And dont squint into the wind or you'll stay like that for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    And dont squint into the wind or you'll stay like that for the rest of your life.
    My mum used to say that it was if the wind changed.

I'm not sure many folk actually think it's true though!

@hibs.net private member
    My mum used to say that it was if the wind changed.

I'm not sure many folk actually think it's true though!
    The ticket office guy in my then local railway station said that to my pre-teen son who promptly replied "so that's what happened to you "!

I don't know who laughed loudest, me or the other ticket office staff.

Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    The ticket office guy in my then local railway station said that to my pre-teen son who promptly replied "so that's what happened to you "!

I don't know who laughed loudest, me or the other ticket office staff.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    And don’t piss into the wind or you’ll hear about it for the rest of your life.