hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Pelé

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/03/pele-moved-to-end-of-life-care-in-hospital-reports-say
    Just came on to post this as I've just heard it on the BBC.

He is 82 but it's still very sad.

I think Pele is a real link to a different time in football. I remember world cups were exciting because they were the only way to see certain players. Who had ever heard of Roger Milla? There were also new approaches to playing football - Dutch total football being a prime example. It's not the same now. Not saying it's worse, but maybe less exciting?

The end comes to us all, but what a player and career. Must be one of the few players to be literally declared a national monument and thus not allowed to transfer out the country until his mid 30's

Brazil great Pele says he is "strong with a lot of hope" as he undergoes treatment in hospital in Sao Paulo.

In a statement released on Saturday he said messages of support as well as watching Brazil at the World Cup had given him "energy".

Earlier the hospital had said he was "still undergoing treatment and remains stable".

It follows a report in Brazil that he was beginning end-of-life care after not responding to chemotherapy.

"My friends, I want to keep everyone calm and positive," he said in a statement on Instagram.

"I'm strong, with a lot of hope and I follow my treatment as usual. I want to thank the entire medical and nursing team for all the care I have received.

"I have a lot of faith in God and every message of love I receive from you all over the world keeps me full of energy. And watching Brazil in the World Cup too!

"Thank you so much for everything."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63846935

Read his autobiography just this year, it was published in 2006 so I presume there might have been another one since then, the guy has had some life and it certainly didn't stop being eventful after 2006 I would imagine .... he didn't claim to be a saint in the book either, he had rather a colourful private life

Unfortunately never got to see him play so I probably wont feel the same emotion I did when Maradona passed, an event which I'm not ashamed to admit brought a tear to my eye. Considering how Maradona's death was received in Argentina I can only imagine the reaction in Brazil when Pele goes, though hopefully not for a while yet.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    I think Pele is a real link to a different time in football. I remember world cups were exciting because they were the only way to see certain players. Who had ever heard of Roger Milla? There were also new approaches to playing football - Dutch total football being a prime example. It's not the same now. Not saying it's worse, but maybe less exciting?
    I agree with you. Different styles, exotic players, you saw things you just didn’t see in British football. Cubillas free kick against Scotland for example. The little body feints of the best Brazil teams. Carlos Valderrama! When did you ever see someone like that in British football, not only how he looked but how he played.

im happy we get all these players in Britain now but I agree it has diminished the World Cup a bit for me.

apologies for derailing the thread about Pele

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    The end comes to us all, but what a player and career. Must be one of the few players to be literally declared a national monument and thus not allowed to transfer out the country until his mid 30's
    helps when there’s a dictatorship in power:)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Reports of Pele in palliative care seemingly inaccurate.

https://news.sky.com/story/he-is-not...ealth-12761953

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    One of the best goals never scored was peles dummy round the goalie begore running back and missing by a bawhair. Every time i see it im willing the ball to go in. Absolute genious and a true legend! 😁
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    One of the best goals never scored was peles dummy round the goalie begore running back and missing by a bawhair. Every time i see it im willing the ball to go in. Absolute genious and a true legend! 😁
    fabulous dummy. But a horrendous miss

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Reports of Pele in palliative care seemingly inaccurate.

https://news.sky.com/story/he-is-not...ealth-12761953
    Good news

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    You try it...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    The joke at the time was that the Earth shifted on its axis as billions of people bought the dummy and the reason he missed was it settling back again.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    You try it...

im not the greatest player in the world… he was

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    You try it...

Regardless of how slick the dummy was, it doesn't take away from the fact it's a hilarious bad miss. There's Sunday league players that could miss that, and as cool as it looks, he probably would have had a much, much easier goal if he just rounded the keeper normally. It's idolized because of how unique it was, but let's not act or even pretend like you couldn't score that after rounding the keeper. I think my mum could finish that off lol.

Not hating, Pele lives on in history for a reason, but the narrative around that chance should include how bad a miss it was, at least a little bit. We can admire the skill and laugh at the miss without taking anything away from the overall greatness of Pele.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UzRsvCsC4c
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    Regardless of how slick the dummy was, it doesn't take away from the fact it's a hilarious bad miss. There's Sunday league players that could miss that, and as cool as it looks, he probably would have had a much, much easier goal if he just rounded the keeper normally. It's idolized because of how unique it was, but let's not act or even pretend like you couldn't score that after rounding the keeper. I think my mum could finish that off lol.

Not hating, Pele lives on in history for a reason, but the narrative around that chance should include how bad a miss it was, at least a little bit. We can admire the skill and laugh at the miss without taking anything away from the overall greatness of Pele.
    You need to put it in context. Brazil were 3-1 up at this point with the game almost over. They're showboating and not knocking it in the easy way as you imply, Pele gives us arguably the most famous dummy in football history. The fact he didn't score it almost makes it more iconic. A miss that is maybe better than a lot of goals.

Mazurkiewicz the Uruguay keeper was by no means a mug and was voted best keeper at that 70 World Cup. Pele has previously said this was his favourite moment on a football pitch.
    Last edited by Baader; 11-12-2022 at 05:34 PM.