hibs.net Messageboard

Remember the days when............

Scotland had a very good side. Article about 1982 when we should have done much better than we did.

Scotland: Stein, Narey, Brazil & being a cartoon character - BBC Sport

Imagine a Scotland team qualifying for five tournaments in a row, two of which England failed to qualify for despite being World Cup winners 8 and 12 years earlier.

Imagine a Scotland team being quoted as one of the outside favourites for the tournament, as we were in 1978.

Anyone on here go to the games?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scotland had a very good side. Article about 1982 when we should have done much better than we did.

Imagine a Scotland team qualifying for five tournaments in a row, two of which England failed to qualify for despite being World Cup winners 8 and 12 years earlier.

Imagine a Scotland team being quoted as one of the outside favourites for the tournament, as we were in 1978.

I went in 82 & 90. We had a fine team in 74, too. 98, not so much.

@hibs.net private member

Was at all three games in Germany 1974. We should
    Have progressed that year but we genuinely should have gone far in the tournament 1978. Instead we made a mess of it and took the Scottish game back generations. Our confidence evaporated and we still suffer from an inferiority complex to this day.
    Bring back the Ally McLeod attitude I say 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    Last edited by CentreLine; 03-12-2022 at 02:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member

Good point: England last qualified for the finals in 1962, then not until 1982.

I was there in 82, what might have been if Hanson and Miller didn't muck things up in the Russia game.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Didn't go, but mind the fear we'd blown it by letting NZ score 2

Was there for the 3 games in 82, best holiday ever in the Spanish sunshine.We had a good team, pity about the Hanson and Miller mix up, we should have progressed. Typical Scotland
    Was also at 90 and 98 World Cups. Costa Rica and Morocco, nightmare matches !

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Went to Italia ‘90 and France ‘98

Scotland v Costa Rica in Genoa the Mrs sat outside the Stadium with my mate’s Mrs and Bairn

After the game she asked me what the score was adding that they had heard a roar ?

I said “ Let’s go it’s s#*t being Scottish”

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I was there in 82, what might have been if Hanson and Miller didn't muck things up in the Russia game.
    Scotland World Cup Squad 1982 - We Have A Dream - YouTube

I remember when world cups had mascots. '82 was Sport Billy, can still remember the song that went with that mascot.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Just as well we qualified in 98 otherwise I’d not have been watching the game in the Holyrood and celebrated the goal with a moony and caught the attention of the future Mrs vP… juniors vP would not exist either… they took more to samba and judo than the football and the sponsorship of the SFA was not forthcoming :)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Was at all three games in Germany 1974. We should
    Have progressed that year but we genuinely should have gone far in the tournament 1978. Instead we made a mess of it and took the Scottish game back generations. Our confidence evaporated and we still suffer from an inferiority complex to this day.
    Bring back the Ally McLeod attitude I say 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I understand your point, but it was the "Ally McLeod attitude" that saw us get humped by Peru and rely on an own goal to draw with Iran.

Iirc, he hadn't bothered to even watch any of the other sides before the tournament so we knew nothing about them.

1978 was an embarrassment from start to finish. Actually, it was embarrassing before the start with the ridiculous decision to have a celebration at Hampden before the team left for Argentina.

Then there was the Willie Johnson drugs scandal, the flying carpet adverts, the relentless bragging by McLeod etc etc.

We had a great squad in 1978 and a load of self pride. I'd like to go back to that, but the rest you can keep.

First Team Breakthrough green.oracle's Avatar

Angry

I was at all 3 games in 1974 and was in France in 1998 (only got tickets for Morocco game).

Germany was a great experience and Scotland very unlucky not to qualify (watch brazil's 3rd goal v zaire which knocked Scotland out).

englandshire didn't qualify between 1962 and 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I understand your point, but it was the "Ally McLeod attitude" that saw us get humped by Peru and rely on an own goal to draw with Iran.

Iirc, he hadn't bothered to even watch any of the other sides before the tournament so we knew nothing about them.

1978 was an embarrassment from start to finish. Actually, it was embarrassing before the start with the ridiculous decision to have a celebration at Hampden before the team left for Argentina.

Then there was the Willie Johnson drugs scandal, the flying carpet adverts, the relentless bragging by McLeod etc etc.

We had a great squad in 1978 and a load of self pride. I'd like to go back to that, but the rest you can keep.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52892898

I was at all games in West Germany in 1974, Mexico 1986 and Italia 1990. Was in Bordeaux in 1998 for the Norway game but the French couldn't organise a what's it in a brewery as regards tickets so watched it in a pub outside the ground with the French coppers.

In 1990 ticket arrangements were equally shambolic and we only had tickets for the Costa Rica game but got into the other two as a result of 'inducing' the Italian police, the Brazil game in Turin with a bottle of Laphroaig.

Mexico '86 was a fantastic three weeks ending up with a week in Acapulco after we got knocked out. Hotels were subsidised by the government for the duration of the competition so we stayed in a luxury hotel on the beach. Neza where two of the games were played was in a pretty poor part of Mexico City but the locals were extremely friendly so we spent a bit of time out there before and after games. Very dodgy place now though.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Good point: England last qualified for the finals in 1962, then not until 1982.
    Think you will find Engurland qualified for Mexico in 1970

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by CB Hibs 68 View Post
    Think you will find Engurland qualified for Mexico in 1970
    Ah now I see what you mean as they would have qualified as winners

Anyone remember the 1970 World Cup Esso coins ?

@hibs.net private member
    They were fun..,

South of the border no doubt 😉

Our journeys, right about the same time, were punctuated by stops at BP stations, trying to match two halves of specimen bank notes. Never win a thing but two halves was to win the value on the notes. If I remember correctly £1000 was top prize but might have been £10,000
    Last edited by CentreLine; 05-12-2022 at 06:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Yes. Every second one was Jeff Astle or Emlyn Hughes

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Yes. Every second one was Jeff Astle or Emlyn Hughes

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
    Yip highlight of the World Cup not forgetting watching that brilliant Brazil side with your cornflakes before going to School

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I used to have the set but don't know what happened to them. I've still got my set of Esso Squelchers books from 1971 and the Esso Top Team discs from 1973-1974 though.

I also have a vague memory of collecting miniature busts of Footballers from petrol stations but it wasn't Esso or Texaco petrol, can anyone remember them?
    Last edited by Bobo; 07-12-2022 at 01:40 PM.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.