hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nil seven

Oops, this is a wee bit embarrassing, not only do I remember this wonderful game but I was there, and I will never stop telling them manky bassas all about the greatest. **** the hertz. The seven grins is for a reason on most of my posts about our lovely chumy friends over on the other side.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    we had brought up the century a couple of weeks earlier in the 8-1 thrashing of Ayr.

the Tynecastle demolition job brought our goals total for the season to 112… on the first day of January! Astonishing really.
    Yip I remember the Ayr game and parading all our trophies on our lawnmower contraption thing

Ally Macleod had a cunning plan to curb our attacking prowess that lasted one minute when Sodjer opened the scoring

Sometimes you have just got to stand back and marvel at a goal machine at the top of its powers

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I’ll be watching it and enjoying it. Nothing embarrassing about it at all.

I don't understand why anyone would object? It's not costing the club any money, and no-one is forced to watch it and if nothing else it records the memories of these great players before it's too late.
    Unless you saw the Tornadoes at their peak it's difficult to understand how good they were, and that game was them at their best. We could have beaten any team in the world that day and the fact that it was Hearts just makes it better.
    Imagine supporting a Hibs team that were one of the best in Europe and mounted wave after wave of attack from the first whistle.
    And yes, it was only two points and didn't lead to anything but didn't Hearts have a video to mark the 22 in a row and none of these wins/draws resulted in a trophy.
    In a few years time it will be the 75th anniversary of the Famous Five's first game.
    We've got anniversaries of our first game in Europe, the Read Madrid game, the Naples game, the 6-2 game, the Geebsie game, the Millenium derby and many others coming up so hopefully the club will do something similar. It would be great to hear Bobby Duncan's memory of that goal.
    So I'll be watching on December 19 and won't feel embarrassed in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would object? It's not costing the club any money, and no-one is forced to watch it and if nothing else it records the memories of these great players before it's too late.
    Unless you saw the Tornadoes at their peak it's difficult to understand how good they were, and that game was them at their best. We could have beaten any team in the world that day and the fact that it was Hearts just makes it better.
    Imagine supporting a Hibs team that were one of the best in Europe and mounted wave after wave of attack from the first whistle.
    And yes, it was only two points and didn't lead to anything but didn't Hearts have a video to mark the 22 in a row and none of these wins/draws resulted in a trophy.
    In a few years time it will be the 75th anniversary of the Famous Five's first game.
    We've got anniversaries of our first game in Europe, the Read Madrid game, the Naples game, the 6-2 game, the Geebsie game, the Millenium derby and many others coming up so hopefully the club will do something similar. It would be great to hear Bobby Duncan's memory of that goal.
    So I'll be watching on December 19 and won't feel embarrassed in the slightest.
    Every time Bobby Duncan recalls that great goal he gets further and further oot

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Never let them forget “the greatest game in history was played on New Years Day”

This

Quote Originally Posted by billyhibs View Post
    0-7 took us up to 100 goals half way through that season with gordon, duncan and o’rourke scoring most of them

that team was a joy to behold it was like watching a game of football chess

it wasn’t a question of would hibs win it was by how many ?

Tell that to youngsters nowadays and they don’t believe you

do not let them forget they would do the same to us

legends

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    It should have been ten. Those who weren't born missed the best month and a bit of football played by our team. Embarrassed, not me,it's all about banter.
    Are the 2nd and 3rd posters on this thread real Hibs fans🤔🤔
    I am 69 now ,I attended that game ,50 years later ,I look back and say I was spoiled football wise back then1972/1973. I attended games expecting to win.that game will go down in history for a lot of fans.it still brings back fantastic memories.sadly we have lost a lot of those players and many fans that attended the games.may they all rest in peace.

https://youtu.be/ppM_MbCh4cA
    Watch and enjoy those that were too young to be amongst the 150,000 of us that were there.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

What else can I say ?

It was poetry in motion

I was hooked and I eagerly looked forward to every game home and away and I would get there by hook or by crook

I just could not wait

It was that good

They speak about the High press as if its new

ET had us doing it back then

I remember being at my Grannies and my cousin came in to the house "Thought you where at the game?" I left at 5

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    What else can I say ?

It was poetry in motion

I was hooked and I eagerly looked forward to every game home and away and I would get there by hook or by crook

I just could not wait

It was that good
    Yeh same here went home and away brilliant time to follow the hibs. Just never thought we would have wilderness years looking ahead back then. It’s been a hard slog following hibs but I would never had changed it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    Yeh same here went home and away brilliant time to follow the hibs. Just never thought we would have wilderness years looking ahead back then. It’s been a hard slog following hibs but I would never had changed it tho.
    We used to go to every game in these days as well travelled on the St Giles bus. Its's just as well we couldn't see what was in front of us. Still got the season ticket but don't go to the away games now.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by happiehibbie View Post
    They speak about the High press as if its new

ET had us doing it back then

I remember being at my Grannies and my cousin came in to the house "Thought you where at the game?" I left at 5
    I met my uncle after the game,he asked me the score,I said 0 -7 for us ,aye he said ,did hearts play well.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MM19 View Post
    We used to go to every game in these days as well travelled on the St Giles bus. Its's just as well we couldn't see what was in front of us. Still got the season ticket but don't go to the away games now.
    Same here MM. I was a St Giles branch member too, and travelled with pals: Mike Gilhooley, Benny Small, Jack Ernest and Alan Lugton, to name but a few.
    The 0-7 game is still vivid in the memory of us older guys who were lucky enough to have been there.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Closest I've ever came to seeing us potentially batter them was the 3-1 at ER under Lennon. When the third went in with a fair bit left to play I thought we were going to make up for a lot of hurt over the years, celebrated the **** out of that goal half for the novelty of being three up against Hearts.

Unfortunately we conceded that stupid penalty shortly after, and then a McGregor goal to make it 4-1 was disallowed for not a lot. Game died out after that. Still good fun though!