hibs.net Messageboard

Heading to be restricted in Scottish football

Professional footballers in Scotland are to be banned from heading the ball in training the day before and the day after a game.

Clubs are also being told to limit exercises that involve repetitive heading to one session per week.

The new guidelines come after Glasgow University research that showed former footballers were three-and-a-half times more likely to die from brain disease.

Experts believe there could be a link to repetitive heading of the ball.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63767548

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm all for the protection of footballers, for years we have seen the older generation of footballers develop brain disease over heading a heavy leather ball. My questions about it would be were does this put the sport of boxing in? And does the head guard work actually in that sport ? If it does maybe something could be worn as a head protection by certain players that head the ball more than others , meaning a big central defender or a striker that's 6 foot and good in the air ?. Didn't Petr cech not wear something?
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 28-11-2022 at 02:27 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Another first for hibs, Im sure our defenders have been leading the way with the non heading stuff all season 🫣

I appreciate there is a serious side to this too, Im sure there is a Frank Koppel trust set up after his death as linked to heading a ball

I can see heading being phased out entirely on health grounds.

Would change the game greatly when it came to set pieces, corners and goal kicks.

@hibs.net private member
    Just pretend concern from the football authorities. Head knocks aren’t treated seriously and are actually used as an effective time wasting method instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just pretend concern from the football authorities. Head knocks aren’t treated seriously and are actually used as an effective time wasting method instead.
    If the system rolled out by FIFA at the WC is brought to the wider game, then all time wasting antics will be effectively ended

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    If the system rolled out by FIFA at the WC is brought to the wider game, then all time wasting antics will be effectively ended
    What is this system you highlight? (I haven’t actually seen any of the World Cup to date)

do you just mean adding on enough time to make up for the time wasting? There’s been tonnes of additional time if so (a good thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    I'm all for the protection of footballers, for years we have seen the older generation of footballers develop brain disease over heading a heavy leather ball. My questions about it would be were does this put the sport of boxing in? And does the head guard work actually in that sport ? If it does maybe something could be worn as a head protection by certain players that head the ball more than others , meaning a big central defender or a striker that's 6 foot and good in the air ?. Didn't Petr cech not wear something?
    I don’t think head protection helps with what they are trying to prevent. The best protection is actually strong neck muscles to stop the head from moving on impact.
    I think this is a good thing. Anything that can minimise the risk without taking heading out the game is a good thing.
    I think heading should still be kept in the game though. I think that the new lighter balls will see a decrease in these cases going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    do you just mean adding on enough time to make up for the time wasting? There’s been tonnes of additional time if so (a good thing)
    Yeah, refs have been directed from above to do so from now on. Which is why 8 mins at the end of the game, or 6 at the end of the 1st half of the current game has been the norm. No point time wasting now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I don’t think head protection helps with what they are trying to prevent. The best protection is actually strong neck muscles to stop the head from moving on impact.
    I think this is a good thing. Anything that can minimise the risk without taking heading out the game is a good thing.
    I think heading should still be kept in the game though. I think that the new lighter balls will see a decrease in these cases going forward.

Studies in rugby found that the wearing of skull caps actually increased head injury rates amongst the wearers. Odd I know, the rationale being that the wearers felt they were protected against injury and took more risks.....more risks, more injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Do lighter balls not result in an increase in velocity though? So the result is the same.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post

Would change the game greatly when it came to set pieces, corners and goal kicks.
    More than change it "greatly" would become totally different game.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    Got to say its sometimes left me shaking my head - good example was France Australia game - zero time wasting - no injuries = 8mins time added on. Eh?!?

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Got to say its sometimes left me shaking my head - good example was France Australia game - zero time wasting - no injuries = 8mins time added on. Eh?!?

I think they also add around one and a half minutes for each goal scored, most of which is because of the goal celebrations.

It helps but it still doesn't cover the full amount of time that the game is stopped. I believe the ball is only in play for an average of about 55 minutes per game so there should be about 35 minutes added on in every game but it's nowhere near that even now in this year's World Cup.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    It helps but it still doesn't cover the full amount of time that the game is stopped. I believe the ball is only in play for an average of about 55 minutes per game so there should be about 35 minutes added on in every game but it's nowhere near that even now in this year's World Cup.
    Jeez st Johnstone games will last about 2 hours .

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post

Not too sure where I stand on this issue to be honest.

I understand the logic behind this decision but I do worry about whether it's going to put Scottish teams and players at even more of a disadvantage than they already were from a talent point of view if teams from other nations aren't facing the same guidelines.

Heading is currently such an important part of the game that it could really impact on how our teams perform in European competitions.

The other point I would make is that balls are obviously much lighter than they were 40 or 50 years ago when a lot of these claims of dementia come from and whilst I accept that any kind of repeated impact on the head can affect the brain I'm not sure the risk is really as much as it once was.

@hibs.net private member
    Not too sure where I stand on this issue to be honest.

I understand the logic behind this decision but I do worry about whether it's going to put Scottish teams and players at even more of a disadvantage than they already were from a talent point of view if teams from other nations aren't facing the same guidelines.

Heading is currently such an important part of the game that it could really impact on how our teams perform in European competitions.

The other point I would make is that balls are obviously much lighter than they were 40 or 50 years ago when a lot of these claims of dementia come from and whilst I accept that any kind of repeated impact on the head can affect the brain I'm not sure the risk is really as much as it once was.
    All leagues will follow suit in time, we’re just a bit ahead

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    All leagues will follow suit in time, we’re just a bit ahead
    I think they probably will but in the meantime how much of a disadvantage will we be at?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr What If? View Post
    Studies in rugby found that the wearing of skull caps actually increased head injury rates amongst the wearers. Odd I know, the rationale being that the wearers felt they were protected against injury and took more risks.....more risks, more injury.
    Superman syndrome. It's the brain hitting the inside of the skull that causes the problem

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Headgear in boxing would be worse, I'm fully for it phasing out heading, as someone that covers MMA and boxing part time, I've seen and read a lot about CTE. It's similar to why people thought bare-knuckle boxing would prove to be safer than normal boxing(crazy I know, but hear me out). The big gloves mean you can take more damage, and it's not so much the knock out blow it's the repeated blows that cause the problems. Similar in heading, its the constant blow to the head that causes things such as CTE(if you haven't, look into it. It's terrifying).

It's also why a lot of boxers/fighters just refuse to spar now. Train the skills, protect the brain. Realistically all professionals can header a ball, so I doubt the ban will change much right now, but in time it might help with the brain injuries in time.
    Last edited by cameronw-hfc; 28-11-2022 at 07:34 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Problem is a lot of teams will still do it as it still disrupts the flow of the game. Also, no chance Scottish refs will bother to apply it correctly or consistently.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckinho View Post
    Problem is a lot of teams will still do it as it still disrupts the flow of the game. Also, no chance Scottish refs will bother to apply it correctly or consistently.
    1-0 down to rangers at ibrox, 2 mins add on.
    1-0 up at ibrox, 12 mins added on.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong but this looks to me like window dressing and nothing will change, at least not for a long time. If the authorities were serious then in England for example, slabheid Maguire wouldn't be getting picked for England - his heading ability is about the only thing he brings on a consistent basis.

Blog Entries
    Professional footballers in Scotland are to be banned from heading the ball in training the day before and the day after a game.

Clubs are also being told to limit exercises that involve repetitive heading to one session per week.

The new guidelines come after Glasgow University research that showed former footballers were three-and-a-half times more likely to die from brain disease.

Experts believe there could be a link to repetitive heading of the ball.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63767548
    I think this new ‘rule’ for Scottish players will have a major effect on their development in the sport. Heading the ball is a spontaneous and integral part of the game and, in my opinion, to expect them to ‘ration’ the practice will hamper their ability to fully and freely commit to their chosen profession, while colleagues in other countries will face no restrictions. I understand the logic behind the decision but I think it’s daft and almost unworkable. It’s a self imposed handicap.

Testimonial Due
    Much as I feel this had to come in, I feel today's footballs are far more lighter than old fillies!
    Back in the day heading a fillie would just about take your head off and the laces would lacerate your forehead, and the goalkeeper rarely got a bye kick over the halfway line.
    At this world cup goal kicks are reaching the other 18 yard line.
    The modern football is so light and easy to control, I think we are shutting the barn door 30-40 years to late!!!

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I think they also add around one and a half minutes for each goal scored, most of which is because of the goal celebrations.
    The commentator on one of the games last night confirmed that they add on time for the celebrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I think this new ‘rule’ for Scottish players will have a major effect on their development in the sport. Heading the ball is a spontaneous and integral part of the game and, in my opinion, to expect them to ‘ration’ the practice will hamper their ability to fully and freely commit to their chosen profession, while colleagues in other countries will face no restrictions. I understand the logic behind the decision but I think it’s daft and almost unworkable. It’s a self imposed handicap.
    I pretty much agree with all of this.