hibs.net Messageboard

Scottish premier report card on hibs

Thought this was interesting and fairly accurate.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0dhsppp

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And yet a year ago this week Marin Boyle scored a hat trick v Rangers to take us to the league cup final.
    Am I being unfair to say we have been a complete shambles since?

Left by mutual consent! AL-Qaholik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    And yet a year ago this week Marin Boyle scored a hat trick v Rangers to take us to the league cup final.
    We were a shambles before that game.

Shambles before too, don’t remember us having much hope going into that one. Which is why it felt even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGray View Post
    Shambles before too, don’t remember us having much hope going into that one. Which is why it felt even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We were in poor form and had lost 4 straight league games in the build up to that final. I sometimes forget how bad we were beginning to look at the end of Jack Ross' spell.
    Last edited by Centre Hawf; 22-11-2022 at 08:53 PM. Reason: 4 games lost, not 5.

We had problems back then too. Yet year before that did we not finish 3rd ? .Don't know if I'd say we are a shambles but understand why some fans might think that , definitely got problems though and I agree with what the podcast were saying about manager being under pressure and a hard run of games coming up ,it could make or break him as our manager though he's only had one transfer window and he wasn't going to fix everything at once . There's been some horrible bad results and some new players who haven't hit the ground running , as well some awful luck with injuries but on the plus side I thought we've played very well at times , good attacking football as well and I genuinely believe we have the makings of a really good team , we have some cracking players but definitely need a few quality additions to the team . It's a stick or twist situation I feel , for me I'm sticking with manager so he can have more time and another window , some want him gone and start the process all over again which is their right to feel that way though I don't know if another managers going to fix things as I'm beginning to think the problems run deeper than the manager.

Not even going yo look at this because unless it says we have been dreadful, it’s utterly irrelevant !

Left by mutual consent!
    We had problems back then too. Yet year before that did we not finish 3rd ? .Don't know if I'd say we are a shambles but understand why some fans might think that , definitely got problems though and I agree with what the podcast were saying about manager being under pressure and a hard run of games coming up ,it could make or break him as our manager though he's only had one transfer window and he wasn't going to fix everything at once . There's been some horrible bad results and some new players who haven't hit the ground running , as well some awful luck with injuries but on the plus side I thought we've played very well at times , good attacking football as well and I genuinely believe we have the makings of a really good team , we have some cracking players but definitely need a few quality additions to the team . It's a stick or twist situation I feel , for me I'm sticking with manager so he can have more time and another window , some want him gone and start the process all over again which is their right to feel that way though I don't know if another managers going to fix things as I'm beginning to think the problems run deeper than the manager.
    Some excellent positive points but do we really have some cracking players?
    I do agree that our problems run deeper than LJ.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I agree with most of this apart from the cracking players part.

I don't believe that two managers in a row have picked a wheelbarrow full of absolute garbage players. Our squad is massive but has no depth and little quality. It lacks the flexibility to change formation and tactics. Our genuinely promising youngsters for some reason appear to be behind absolute guff like Henderson, Melkersen, and Youan in the pecking order.

It feels like the club is being run on the idea that if you give a young player who runs around a lot plenty of game time, they'll become worth something. They won't. They lose you games and get you relegated.

We seriously, seriously need people in charge of football related matters who properly understand the game and can support the manager. We have someone who has overseen hospitality getting a nice lick of paint and someone who could probably recommend you a nice bottle of wine.

If we had a really good squad, then Boyle would have been a superb acquisition. As it was, we were hanging our hopes on him and it's expensively blown up in our face this season.

We're in trouble. I put very little blame on LJ. Despite the squad, I think we've had moments of playing entertaining football this season.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Some excellent positive points but do we really have some cracking players?
    I do agree that our problems run deeper than LJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I agree with most of this apart from the cracking players part.

I don't believe that two managers in a row have picked a wheelbarrow full of absolute garbage players. Our squad is massive but has no depth and little quality. It lacks the flexibility to change formation and tactics. Our genuinely promising youngsters for some reason appear to be behind absolute guff like Henderson, Melkersen, and Youan in the pecking order.

It feels like the club is being run on the idea that if you give a young player who runs around a lot plenty of game time, they'll become worth something. They won't. They lose you games and get you relegated.

We seriously, seriously need people in charge of football related matters who properly understand the game and can support the manager. We have someone who has overseen hospitality getting a nice lick of paint and someone who could probably recommend you a nice bottle of wine.

If we had a really good squad, then Boyle would have been a superb acquisition. As it was, we were hanging our hopes on him and it's expensively blown up in our face this season.

We're in trouble. I put very little blame on LJ. Despite the squad, I think we've had moments of playing entertaining football this season.
    Boyle , Porteous, Marshall, Nisbet, Cadden , Mcgennis, Newell are all cracking good players and probably outside the old firm every club in Scotland would-be delighted to have them imo plus the fact we have some serious good young players in Bushiri,Kennah , Kukharevych , Merkelson Dabrowski. One good window with 3 or 4 quality additions would make a massive difference to our team.

Boyle , Porteous, Marshall, Nisbet, Cadden , Mcgennis, Newell are all cracking good players and probably outside the old firm every club in Scotland would-be delighted to have them imo plus the fact we have some serious good young players in Bushiri,Kennah , Kukharevych , Merkelson Dabrowski. One good window with 3 or 4 quality additions would make a massive difference to our team.
    Boyle's out for the season, Porto is likely away, Nisbet has been injured for ages and wasn't scoring before then, Magennis has been permainjured and a waste of money, Myko is on loan, Melkersen is appalling and couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, Dabrowski is a backup goalie at best.

Cadden is OK, Kenneh will become a very good player, Marshall is good, Newell is inconsistent (but I like him), Rocky has surprised me.

We need about 6-8 first team quality players who are ready to hit the ground running.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    I'll give you the first four but you're deluded 're Cadden.
    Magennis is a crock and Newell a luxury.
    Happy with your young players tho.

Boyle's out for the season, Porto is likely away, Nisbet has been injured for ages and wasn't scoring before then, Magennis has been permainjured and a waste of money, Myko is on loan, Melkersen is appalling and couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, Dabrowski is a backup goalie at best.

Cadden is OK, Kenneh will become a very good player, Marshall is good, Newell is inconsistent (but I like him), Rocky has surprised me.

We need about 6-8 first team quality players who are ready to hit the ground running.
    Our luck's been horrendous with injuries no doubt about that . Boyles out yes but just cause he's injured doesn't alter the fact we have a international player who's quality . Porto probably will be away sooner rather than later but at moment he's still under contract and our Player and another quality player. Nisbet has been injured but will now be back for selection again , as to him not scoring your correct he wasn't but before that he was with rumours of Birmingham, Celtic interested and him getting a Scotland call up , another quality player. Mcgennis is injured away to much and your right we haven't had a return for our money out of him yet though a fit Mcgennis would walk into most teams in Scotland imo. Mykola is on loan but he's our player for now and a very good one too Dabrowski is a good young keeper. Cadden was rumoured for a call up to at one point and one of our better players certainly better than just a ok.kennah , Rocky are two very good young players. Newell on his day is as good as anyone maybe a bit inconsistent though Marshall is one of the top keepers in the league. Melkerson is a young lad with huge potential , certainly hit the barn door against Motherwell in cup ,two really clinical finishes, think he's been played out of position at times . Totally disagree with anyone who thinks we haven't any quality players. As to getting 6 or 8 in ? That won't be easy as we will have to shift ones out and January windows always one of the hardest . Id be happy with 3 or 4 quality ones in myself

Yep, totally agree with this, and would add what I've been saying several times on other threads, that we are far too reliant on Boyle and for that reason are in a pretty **** position, if not irretrievable. A lot really does depend on Lee Johnson's ability to pick a good player and if he's given the money to do it. There's a lot of dross which needs to be got rid of, somehow, and any money received has to be used wisely. I would give a D on the report card, we've not been totally crap all the time but we have been crap more often than we've been good.

Our luck's been horrendous with injuries no doubt about that . Boyles out yes but just cause he's injured doesn't alter the fact we have a international player who's quality . Porto probably will be away sooner rather than later but at moment he's still under contract and our Player and another quality player. Nisbet has been injured but will now be back for selection again , as to him not scoring your correct he wasn't but before that he was with rumours of Birmingham, Celtic interested and him getting a Scotland call up , another quality player. Mcgennis is injured away to much and your right we haven't had a return for our money out of him yet though a fit Mcgennis would walk into most teams in Scotland imo. Mykola is on loan but he's our player for now and a very good one too Dabrowski is a good young keeper. Cadden was rumoured for a call up to at one point and one of our better players certainly better than just a ok.kennah , Rocky are two very good young players. Newell on his day is as good as anyone maybe a bit inconsistent though Marshall is one of the top keepers in the league. Melkerson is a young lad with huge potential , certainly hit the barn door against Motherwell in cup ,two really clinical finishes, think he's been played out of position at times . Totally disagree with anyone who thinks we haven't any quality players. As to getting 6 or 8 in ? That won't be easy as we will have to shift ones out and January windows always one of the hardest . Id be happy with 3 or 4 quality ones in myself
    It’s really not good enough that we have to go back over eight months for a first team striker scoring goals against ten men (and still no league goals to their name). There’s little potential - he’s an absolute dud with few qualities suited to this league.

The problem is, little potential is enough to get into certain areas of this team. Youan - useless. Misses sitters. Bojang worse. Tavares we’ve not seen much of but headless chicken would be kind. McKirdy we will need to wait and see but it’s November and as of yet no goals. Henderson has scored from midfield but is pitifully poor in terms of overall game.

I’m going to stick my neck out here and say that Myko isn’t as brilliant as some on here say - loose cannon, gets booked too often and becomes a ticking timebomb once he is, but on accounts of being able to get a shot on target he’s the first name on the team sheet.

Midfield is the same. Manager crying out publically for more players near the end of the transfer window and yet we rest our hopes on Magennis who gets himself sent off and is again out for a “couple of weeks”. Again.

We’re only ever two - arguably one - injuries in key positions away from catastrophe. With so many signings in the last two windows that’s unforgivable and impossible to comprehend. Say what you like about the window that got Mathie sacked, but Wright aside each signing improved us. Since he left and Ian Gordon was there to make cups of tea and hoover (as some on here would have you believe) the recruitment has been utter bollocks.

Throw as much **** at the wall and hope some of it sticks. And it’s been so ****ing expensive. Fees payed on utter dross. Good wages played on players who will never, ever make it in this league. Miller’s cameo against St Mirren was one of the very worst performances I can think of when it comes to a player needing to come in and impress.

I’m amazed we’re not in the playoff places in the league with this squad.

Gordon, Gordon, and Kensell are overseeing what feels like an inevitable and eventual relegation in the future and we won’t have a clean slate squad wise like last time, we’ve got a bloated squad of no hopers and experienced players who are being leaned upon too heavily.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 24-11-2022 at 10:56 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    Not even going yo look at this because unless it says we have been dreadful, it’s utterly irrelevant !
    How can you say that if you’ve not listened? Mental.

The quote that got me from Grant early on "Had we scored more goals in these games we would not be in the position we are in". Talk about stating the obvious for every team on the globe.