hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Chippys

@hibs.net private member

Best Chippys

Any favourites ?

I see the EEN has announced Edinburghs top 10 with Scouse hibbys Spencers in 2nd plaice (😀) the usual St Andrews, Barracuda and Giovanis are in there, I think Milton Fry won a recent award but didnt make top 10

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any favourites ?

I see the EEN has announced Edinburghs top 10 with Scouse hibbys Spencers in 2nd plaice (😀) the usual St Andrews, Barracuda and Giovanis are in there, I think Milton Fry won a recent award but didnt make top 10
    Have you got a link to this?
    Congratulations Scouse Hibee

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Came up on my feed today Billy, appears to be from May

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/business/consumer/fish-and-chips-edinburgh-the-10-best-edinburgh-fish-and-chip-shops-as-voted-by-een-readers-3184118?amp

@hibs.net private member
    Chippy by Spencer is the best imo.

Better than Fishmarket, better than Lalba Doro which are probably the other ‘big hitters’ down towards the same end of town. Not sure about others but it’s definitely the best one anywhere near me imo.

Been to St Andrews at Porty and thought it was crap.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 15-11-2022 at 09:23 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I've been to the St Andrews and the Milton Fry in the past few months, how they've won awards I have no idea. Dried up fish that had been lying there for hours, mostly inedible.

It's not Edinburgh obviously but The Frying Scotsman in Musselburgh has been really good since Robbie Crolla took over.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Cheers, it’s an article from earlier in the year that EEN have chosen to rerun, it’s great publicity though and really helps. It’s all about consistency and maintaining the quality which we have managed to do and our reviews are proof of that. Hardest thing I’ve ever done, coming up for our second anniversary this month, was asked this week would I do it again, no bloody chance! 😀

Still need to try Scouses chippy. A timely reminder.

Agree with the above comments about St Andrews and Milton Fry, both well overrated.

I live close to the Duddingston Fry and Milton Fry but usually travel to Giovanni's or the Barracuda. Good to see both of them also make the list.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Don’t know if there more than one set of awards each year, but my local chippy was just voted best in Scotland. Always been happy with it but wouldn’t have said it was that good.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best...n-25114376.amp

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Don’t know if there more than one set of awards each year, but my local chippy was just voted best in Scotland. Always been happy with it but wouldn’t have said it was that good.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best...n-25114376.amp
    First time I've seen them smiling :

I used to go there from my teens to my late 20s when I lived locally. It's an average chippy after having a few beers, that's it.

I've enjoyed scouse's chippy (black pudding fritters are great) and locally we like Angelo's at the top of Lochend road.
    Last edited by Mr Grieves; 15-11-2022 at 11:46 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Agree with the above comments about St Andrews and Milton Fry, both well overrated.

I live close to the Duddingston Fry and Milton Fry but usually travel to Giovanni's or the Barracuda. Good to see both of them also make the list.
    Giovannis own the Barracuda too but in all honesty I think both are poor and have been for a while now, could probably throw in St Andrews and Milton Fry into the mix too. Food just seems to be unfresh and in St Andrews case I got a fish supper with a cremated and inedible fish with chips that looked like they were scraped from the bottom of the fryer

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Cheers, it’s an article from earlier in the year that EEN have chosen to rerun, it’s great publicity though and really helps. It’s all about consistency and maintaining the quality which we have managed to do and our reviews are proof of that. Hardest thing I’ve ever done, coming up for our second anniversary this month, was asked this week would I do it again, no bloody chance! 😀
    Your just a wee bit far from me for a takeaway, but if I’m around that area I’ll give you a try

As someone who owned a Juice Bar in the Gyle shopping centre for 9 years, I can’t agree with your thoughts, that you wouldn’t do it again!!
    7 days a week trading, early mornings and late nights

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    When I stayed in town I would go out my way to use L'Alba Doro on Henderson Row. Don't think its there anymore though.

Aldos in Uphall is excellent
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    When I stayed in town I would go out my way to use L'Alba Doro on Henderson Row. Don't think its there anymore though.

L’Alba Doro is still there.

@hibs.net private member

L’Alba Doro is still there but Anima which was their pizza and pasta shop next door has closed and been replaced by a Gordon Ramsay Street Pizza takeaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

The Duddingston Fry is my wife's favourite Chippy. She just loves the deep fried Haggis.

We lived just round the corner a few years ago and she was probably their most regular customer.

It is, it the one on Raeburn place that’s closed, L’Aquila Bianca. Shut over 10 years ago or so

First Team Breakthrough
    It is, it the one on Raeburn place that’s closed, L’Aquila Bianca. Shut over 10 years ago or so
    Remember that chippy well when I stayed in Stockbridge, went there all the time, cracking chippy and pizzas were really good too, think it's now a Domino's which is a shame, place was spotless and never had any fault all the time going there

Edinburgh chippies are very good but they come 2nd to Yorkshire ones.

Deffo keep meaning to try SH chippy but forget. Will get there this season!
    Cougars!!!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    I stopped going to giovannis a few years ago and have to say, have not had a bad take out from Angelos at lochend or Piernios down Bernard Street.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    I stopped going to giovannis a few years ago and have to say, have not had a bad take out from Angelos at lochend or Piernios down Bernard Street.
    Angelos was my go-to when I still lived at my parents. Probably not had one in around 15 years (though I think I maybe had one when I was down at my parents for tea pre-pandemic). Unfortunately, my teenage and early 20s years were when I didn't like fish, so I tended to go for white pudding, pizza or a kebab and all were excellent from there. I remember I would stop off there for a kebab on my way home from work when I worked at the Big W.

We lived briefly on Commercial Street last year between house moves and Piernios was our local chippy. Fantastic. We went there a few times and had fish suppers on the Links prior to living down there during lockdowns.

Went to SH's chippy a couple of times when I lived in Bellevue and that was also excellent.

Giovannis for me, live 5 mins from it, Baracuda is the sister of the guys at Giovannis.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    All mentioned so far are really good, I like different ones for different things, Javitts is the king of the fried pizza supper, Guido's the new Chippy in Junction Street has been really good the couple of times I've tried it too

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    L’Alba Doro is still there.
    I worked there after I left school, then years later in Peter's (Pierino's). Never lasted long in either job, both decent families to work for, but can say without any doubt out of all the jobs I have done, these were the most tiring. Think it's a lot to do with standing practically in the same static position for such a long busy shift in a really warm environment.

My current fave is the Fishmarket - sorry haven't visited your place, but when I do, I'll give the Special Fish a try

Gorgie Fish Bar is tremendous, best I've had in Edinburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I suppose it didn’t matter that they lost the EEN contest , I bet it felt like a win for them

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I suppose it didn’t matter that they lost the EEN contest , I bet it felt like a win for them
    They do have some serious competition for chips in that area

Angelos is great if you're going in to get it. I've had a few minging deliveries so if I'm getting it delivered we go to the Rig.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    It is outstanding on this side of town. The Marmaris on Dalry Road is good too.

@hibs.net private member
    Carlos in Portobello was a great chippy, mysteriously closed not too long after a refurb and never opened again. Still unsure why it closed to this day, assuming family stuff. Think the shop has been gutted out after lying empty for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Jakhog1 View Post
    They do have some serious competition for chips in that area
    True enough. The rightful home of the chip. Invented in the trenches, and ever since then the Belgians have been trying to claim ownership