hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 214 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Coaching Staff
    Should never have been held there, having said that I will of counse watch it, hopefully football will overcome politics, not holding my breath though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are all the videos of actors dressed up as fans of various nations legit or is it part of some advertising campaign and the internet is doing a bit of mischief making?
    It's apparently the workers of the stadiums that are being paid $10 a day to help create atmosphere, mostly from Pakistan. I'd read how football bloggers from around the world are being paid to come and be positive about the world Cup also. But seeing some of the fan parks and pop up hotels ,it looks more like fyre festival

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Come on England ⚽️❤️😄
    Away and s***e in your hat.

Looking forward to the further adventures of Harry Maguire over the next 3 games 😁

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Feels a bit flat. Usually there would be so much hype around a WC and what England are going to do etc.

I’ve barely heard a peep about it. Just feels like there’s a lot less interest than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Feels a bit flat. Usually there would be so much hype around a WC and what England are going to do etc.

I’ve barely heard a peep about it. Just feels like there’s a lot less interest than normal.
    Partly because it's being crammed into the middle of a domestic season and doesn't feel like a normal World Cup, but primarily because it's a tournament many don't believe should be taking place in Qatar. I'll certainly be giving it a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    I'm planning on giving it a miss. I'm not a massive football fan truth be told, but I'm also a teacher by trade. Watching the WC just feels too much like accepting things I'm against. It's all too much 'Berlin 1936' for me. I don't fully blame FIFA. If people watch it, if they buy the stuff, if the players play, if the media support, then we're all involved. I won't judge. I watched the F1 Qatar race and felt bad about doing so. But I also own an iPhone, bought because it does what I need it to do and what I know, but I also know what some of the practices are which go into making it. I'm not judging anyone who does, I've got my own failings as pointed out, but I will be trying not to watch this.

"Nothing matters at all, the needle returns to the start of the song and we all sing along like before". I was impressed by the BLM approach in F1 and in football, but it all seems a bit poor to attend now.
    Indeed. Personally I don't think any international football team should be going near this tournament, while among fans there's a depressing 'ach I don't like the regime but it's fitba so I'll be watching' mentality.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Yep...very flat even in the engerland press. France for me ....😁
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I'm off work next week on holiday and thought I'd be looking forward to watching the games, turns out I have zero excitement at all about any of it

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Partly because it's being crammed into the middle of a domestic season and doesn't feel like a normal World Cup, but primarily because it's a tournament many don't believe should be taking place in Qatar. I'll certainly be giving it a miss.
    Did you not say previously you don't watch world cups. I can't wait, a nice break from hibs.

Yes the regime is abhorrent but I watched the games in Russia and the US too so..

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Did you not say previously you don't watch world cups. I can't wait, a nice break from hibs.

Yes the regime is abhorrent but I watched the games in Russia and the US too so..
    I'm the same don't agree with venue of it but always enjoy the world cup 😉

Each to their own. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I wouldn't watch Hibs either if they happened to tour there.

I just find it a bit dispiriting that the power of football is enough for many to push aside their qualms about what's gone on in Qatar to make this event happen, as though loving football is some sort of get out jail morality card.
    Last edited by He's here!; 16-11-2022 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Should never have been held there, having said that I will of course watch it, hopefully football will overcome politics, not holding my breath though.
    How will football overcome politics? Football was complicit in the politics involved in taking the World Cup to Qatar. The game itself wields such power that it could easily have taken the tournament somewhere more palatable when it comes to human rights abuses.

First Team Regular
    I'm actually really excited for it personally, think there could be a few upsets.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Maybe one for the Holy Ground....

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    How will football overcome politics? Football was complicit in the politics involved in taking the World Cup to Qatar. The game itself wields such power that it could easily have taken the tournament somewhere more palatable when it comes to human rights abuses.
    How good would it have been if the committee had said "Dear Qatar, your bid was successful on a number of points, but failed on x, y, z issues. Get these sorted and you can have it the next again time. Yours, World Football." that could have been quite powerful.

This is by far the least I've ever been interested in a World Cup. I only learned the kick off time for the first match last weekend because the wife asked me. Mid season, injured players dropping like flies and the political issues all play a part.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Me too, I always enjoy watching a World Cup, even if I have major concerns about the politics.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Me too, I always enjoy watching a World Cup, even if I have major concerns about the politics.
    I also have the same concerns about the political side of it too and the whole thing stinks of corruption and FIFA are entirely to be blamed here . Once it starts though I will be watching as much of it as I can . The best players in the world competing against one another, on that note it could be our last chance to see Messi , Ronaldo and Luka modric in a world cup which I don't want to miss out seeing either!

I hoped one of the bigger countries like Brazil would have pulled out starting a domino effect. This hasn’t happened so me not watching it makes absolutely no difference at all. Not up for it but will no doubt watch the more attractive games.

Me too. However, now looking forward to it and will watch as much as I can. England's group is fascinating - a real geo-political edge with all of England's games and USA-Iran could be interesting.

Think I last sat down and properly absorbed a WC in 2002. Will treat this one like every other, not that interested but will watch the odd game if it's on.

Got plans to do a bit groundhopping taking in non league games during the break from Hibs, starting Saturday in Linlithgow, and I'm looking forward to that more.

It's maybe a generational thing and the WC was a bigger deal in the past because of it's rarity and the spectacle of only seeing players every 4 years. If I was so inclined to could watch all these players any time I wanted now and it's been the same for all of my adult life.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by StirlingHibee View Post
    Me too. However, now looking forward to it and will watch as much as I can. England's group is fascinating - a real geo-political edge with all of England's games and USA-Iran could be interesting.
    England's groups a interesting one , USA - Iran game should be good . Will be very interested in Spain, Germany and Japan games .Think they will be tight games also would be interested in seeing Qatar going out as soon as possible too though wouldn't surprise me to see them get a few dodgy decisions from the referees too

England's groups a interesting one , USA - Iran game should be good . Will be very interested in Spain, Germany and Japan games .Think they will be tight games also would be interested in seeing Qatar going out as soon as possible too though wouldn't surprise me to see them get a few dodgy decisions from the referees too
    Always embarrassing if the host country does not make it through the group stages. If I remember correctly, it's only happened once - South Africa (2010).

Quote Originally Posted by StirlingHibee View Post
    Always embarrassing if the host country does not make it through the group stages. If I remember correctly, it's only happened once - South Africa (2010).
    Remember it well , had a Spain backed to win it very early on and had a good bit of money coming my way if they won . It was the Netherlands who Spain played in final and they were very anti football in it , basically tried to stop Spain playing who had iniesta ,fabregas , Silva etc , really great team they had . I also remember that horn that was at every game , really annoying I thought it was . Vuvuzela I think it was which meant " Noise maker" I think . History of the world cup here .
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup

@hibs.net private member
    9 quid salad at the fan zone looks decent..

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootyScra...78355954937856

£160 a night pop up room👌
    https://mobile.twitter.com/barstools...12316331532289

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    9 quid salad at the fan zone looks decent..

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootyScra...78355954937856

£160 a night pop up room👌
    https://mobile.twitter.com/barstools...12316331532289
    Tynecastle has better facilities than that.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Tynecastle has better facilities than that.
    Qatar doesn't have stairs to nowhere like the bus shelter. Although their stadium lounges and hearts castle view lounge, both have similar views of Edinburgh Castle

Theres 13 ex SPFL players going to the world cup , who are they?

Theres 13 ex SPFL players going to the world cup , who are they?
    Virgil van Dijk
    Jason Cummings
    Jackson Irvine

That'll get things started