hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Var

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it? I don't think pens are factual

If var thinks its clearly not a foul they can tell him to have another look

Which is what they should have done yesterday.... And not a 1 second zoomed in clip to see if there's a brush of contact but a 10 second clip in normal speed showing the action in context

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    The ref (or linesman, doesnt matter) gave a free kick.

As it was so close to the pen box, VAR looked at it. It was inside the box, not outside - thats the factual bit.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    I was all for it being introduced up here, but I actually despise it now. Not because a few decisions have gone against us, Melks was offside yesterday and I think it's a pen and daft challenge from Cabraja.

The first few weeks of it has been farcical up here. I'm not a huge Postecoglou fan, think he's a bit of a helmet, but he's spot on about VAR. It's not new, been up and running world wide for years now and it's nothing short of embarrassing the mess we're making of it.
    It would be interesting to see how many like yourself who were keen advocates of VAR have nowchanged their view? Still reading a few who still believe it will be for the better of the game, but those voices appear to be coming more isolated.

I wasn’t for it from the start and my view has become cemented even further after what we have experienced to date. I didn’t think it could even be this bad.
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 13-11-2022 at 12:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    It would be interesting to see how many like yourself who were keen advocates of VAR have nowchanged their view? Still reading a few who still believe it will be for the better of the game, but those voices appear to be coming more isolated.

I wasn’t for it from the start and my view has become cemented even further after what we have experienced to date. I didn’t think it could even be this bad.
    Yeh I thought VAR would have been a lot better than what it is. I was wanting it in but now I’ve changed my mind it’s destroying the game I was brought up on. Also the spontaneity of celebrating a goal has gone for good and the time it takes to make a decision. If it doesn’t improve then I won’t be going back next season ( hibs being crap doesn’t help either).

VAR could work bur there has to be changes to some rules offside being one. Watching
    Hibs playing against European teams in the 60s and 70s we used to moan on how easily the European players went down at the slightest touch. This is now the norm in our game nowadays, and to be frank it is ruining the game. There are too many fouls given when the player as soon as he feels contact they go down. We will benefit from some VAR decisions, some will go against us. This was the same before VAR. Other sports have refs mic'd up Rugby, American football(most football matches would have to kick off after 9.00pm due to the bad language picked up by the ref mic). There should be trial games where refs are mic'd up and we can hear the exchanges between refs and the VAR refs, we have the technology to do this now.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 13-11-2022 at 12:24 PM.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Explain this one

https://twitter.com/HMFC_1874_/statu...d-646zWNQ&s=19

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

It’s putting referees under even more scrutiny than before.

It’s a sport who’s rules and how you interpret them as largely subjective. There’s now a zero tolerance of “wrong decisions” and intense examination of tight calls.

The long game may be that people will be discouraged from taking up refereeing, or at least at senior level. Why put yourself in such an environment? I certainly wouldn’t.

Blog Entries
    Many of the comments on here about wrong decisions have nothing to do with VAR. Many of the original decisions were wrong to start with. Similarly the ludicrous penalty awarded against us at Pittodrie wasn't wholly down to VAR, it was down to the incorrect interpretation of the incident by the officials. However in that same game, VAR correctly awarded us a goal which had been incorrectly ruled out.
    What VAR is doing is identifying to a wider audience just how shockingly incompetent (at best) our officials are.

Cant believe theres so much fuss over it. Its been used elsewhere effectively evem the egg chasers(rugby) use it without a fuss

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Cant believe theres so much fuss over it. Its been used elsewhere effectively evem the egg chasers(rugby) use it without a fuss
    Do you think it’s being used well in scottish football so far ?

No whch shocks ne as im sure theres experts out there who have experience who could have been employed to make sure it was.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Do you think it’s being used well in scottish football so far ?
    Definitely not it is ruining the game for spectators

In rugby the fans can see what the referee is looking at, and can hear his conversation with the TMO (Television Match Official) about a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Many of the comments on here about wrong decisions have nothing to do with VAR. Many of the original decisions were wrong to start with. Similarly the ludicrous penalty awarded against us at Pittodrie wasn't wholly down to VAR, it was down to the incorrect interpretation of the incident by the officials. However in that same game, VAR correctly awarded us a goal which had been incorrectly ruled out.
    What VAR is doing is identifying to a wider audience just how shockingly incompetent (at best) our officials are.
    You are right in it showing the poor officiating but the penalty at Aberdeen was down to VAR. Ref gave a goal kick. VAR changed it to a penalty.

As said many times it's more than decisions, it's the delays and the interruptions. It ruins the spectacle. There were shouts of 'just give the f*****g thing' at Pittodrie as we waited 5 mins twiddling thumbs.

The trade off isn't worth it to get some decsisions correct, especially waiting 5 mins for the decison still to be wrong like the killie and Aberdeen penalties.

Offsides by leg hairs can do one aswell

@hibs.net private member
    Another few decisions at the Rugby today. Knew what was happening with the big screen and almost after first viewing knew what way it was going to go. Ref made the decision expected and no real issues in the time it took as they were big moments in the game and the crowd could deliberate with the officials.

@hibs.net private member
    No whch shocks ne as im sure theres experts out there who have experience who could have been employed to make sure it was.
    Ah. Ok. Understand. That’s a good point - the SFA feel like a real “not invented here” bunch

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydad View Post
    Definitely not it is ruining the game for spectators
    Agree. Was really Frustrating yesterday with no communication on a number of VAR reviews

@hibs.net private member
    Don’t see it lasting up here.

Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post
    You are right in it showing the poor officiating but the penalty at Aberdeen was down to VAR. Ref gave a goal kick. VAR changed it to a penalty.

As said many times it's more than decisions, it's the delays and the interruptions. It ruins the spectacle. There were shouts of 'just give the f*****g thing' at Pittodrie as we waited 5 mins twiddling thumbs.

The trade off isn't worth it to get some decsisions correct, especially waiting 5 mins for the decison still to be wrong like the killie and Aberdeen penalties.

Offsides by leg hairs can do one aswell
    The one against us up at Pittodrie the ref was going to give a penalty at the time. He didn’t because the linesman flagged for offside so we had the free kick. Once VAR had confirmed it wasn’t offside he was asked to look at the monitor and decided to give the penalty. Thinking it was a penalty in the first instance was bad enough. Getting to look at it and still giving a penalty was beyond belief. The officials are terrible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    The one against us up at Pittodrie the ref was going to give a penalty at the time. He didn’t because the linesman flagged for offside so we had the free kick. Once VAR had confirmed it wasn’t offside he was asked to look at the monitor and decided to give the penalty. Thinking it was a penalty in the first instance was bad enough. Getting to look at it and still giving a penalty was beyond belief. The officials are terrible.
    A perfect summary. VAR didn't give the penalty. The incompetent officials in the studio did that and it was confirmed by the clown on the park. If they had just stopped the replay they would have seen Duk in mid air long before any contact.

Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    Don’t see it lasting up here.
    I do, there's no going back now. It's here to stay.

First Team Regular
    I'd like to see the whole VAR experiment abandoned ASAP. It is proving far more controversial than what we had to put up with before. It is the antithesis of what is was supposed to prevent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I do, there's no going back now. It's here to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Criswell View Post
    I'd like to see the whole VAR experiment abandoned ASAP. It is proving far more controversial than what we had to put up with before. It is the antithesis of what is was supposed to prevent.
    Can see this project being abandoned by New Year, or before the next Old Firm game whenever that is. Must be real concerns ahead of that fixture of what the potential fall out could be if decisions like we’ve seen to date continue into that match.

Take some time out, address the issues that have blighted it such as far too narrow margins for offsides, overly penal penalty awards etc. Scale it back to be used as an aid for referees rather than the domineering presence it has over games and let officials make more natural decisions as they see it in real time, like the spectators in the ground.

Start afresh with it next season.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Not that it particularly matters but that's not the impression I got. Looked a clear dive and ref looked liked he was on his way to book Duk for diving. If he saw a penalty initially to change it for the flag there wouldn't have been the ridiculous 5 min stoppage. Duk was standing about during that time expecting to be booked. Penalty took everyone by surprise, even his. He knew he bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    A perfect summary. VAR didn't give the penalty. The incompetent officials in the studio did that and it was confirmed by the clown on the park. If they had just stopped the replay they would have seen Duk in mid air long before any contact.
    The incompetent officials in the studio are VAR. That's the problem.

It needs binned, it has been awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Can see this project being abandoned by New Year, or before the next Old Firm game whenever that is. Must be real concerns ahead of that fixture of what the potential fall out could be if decisions like we’ve seen to date continue into that match.

Take some time out, address the issues that have blighted it such as far too narrow margins for offsides, overly penal penalty awards etc. Scale it back to be used as an aid for referees rather than the domineering presence it has over games and let officials make more natural decisions as they see it in real time, like the spectators in the ground.

Start afresh with it next season.
    I’m hoping it’s here for the old firm - they make an absolute mess of it and it causes even more uproar and controversy.

Watched some of the rugby league the other day and it’s amazing how simple they made it with the checking of decisions / clear communication by refs and replays.

Football couldn’t make it any more worse if they tried.

For me it looks like the only way VAR is going to really work in Scotland is if they have totally neutral people on VAR, not the same incompetent referees that currently officiate at games. Maybe have it done by referees outside Scotland, I don't know. That won't happen though, at least not for years to come. They took longer than everybody else to launch it up here, it'll take another few years before we see any significant progression. Just my opinion like.

@hibs.net private member
    Just heard the SFA chief exec on the radio saying they made a presentation to club owners and CEO’s yesterday proving that VAR has been a success and is working as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Just heard the SFA chief exec on the radio saying they made a presentation to club owners and CEO’s yesterday proving that VAR has been a success and is working as planned.
    Yes and he has more s***e in him than a Christmas goose.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Only if VAR was planned to avoid referees making decisions and then delay the game for several minutes whilst lines are doodled on a screen to work out if a forward remembered to trim his nasal hair.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Don't think it's benefited Hibs to much and find to many flaws with it ,sounds like he's trying to convince himself it's good though
    https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...worked-3937548