hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Drive. Carefully out there in the snow … just passed accident at Milton Road junction

Drive carefully out there Edinburgh folks - car off the road smacked against lamppost at the Milton Road turning on to head West along Portobello road into town written off and airbags dispensed…
    hope the person is ok someone had stopped.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    It is particularly treacherous today, driver in from Ratho to Hermiston Gait this morning and the car was doing some Tokyo Drifting, not pleasant when your already on edge.

I was losing traction loads this morning, and with a thaw this afternoon followed by about a week of sub zero nighttime temperatures it’s going to stay icy for ages.

Started snowing through the west now as well. I'm currently in East Kilbride and the place is completely white.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Baltic doesn't begin to cover it. It's been a while since it was this cold.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Main roads seem ok now.

Side streets are crazy though, I was heading round to my parents and properly lost traction on their street. I was sitting at about 13mph as it's a tight street and not great to drive at the best of times, guy behind me was going significantly quicker and the dent in his car after he lost traction at the same spot will maybe remind him to be a bit smarter in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Main roads seem ok now.

Side streets are crazy though, I was heading round to my parents and properly lost traction on their street. I was sitting at about 13mph as it's a tight street and not great to drive at the best of times, guy behind me was going significantly quicker and the dent in his car after he lost traction at the same spot will maybe remind him to be a bit smarter in future.
    Was out this morning, lots of people don't know how to (or won't) drive sensibly in snow.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Rear-wheel drive particularly useless in snow & ice so mine going nowhere; I drive my wife's Skoda Octavia Estate to work when I know it's going to be bad, for
    some reason it's pretty good in winter conditions....

@hibs.net private member
    A set of old wheel and a good set of winter tyres so you can quickly change wheels as the weather changes makes a massive difference.

Had to help a woman earlier who’d slid and swerved onto the grass verge at the top of Clerry Hill.

Parked the car at the side of the road for her as she was too scared to drive after it.

It’s very slippy out there!

@hibs.net private member
    Was driving to Dunfermline this afternoon. Queensferry crossing quite clearly signed at 40mph. The number of cars flying past doing 50 or more was staggering.

Probably help if folk had all season tyres on all year round rather than summer ones.

I have a Subaru Legacy with snow tyres back on. And I’ve several years experience of driving in proper snowy conditions
    However if I don’t need to go out in the snow I don’t because so many haven’t a clue that they should be driving much slower and giving loads more braking time at this time of year

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    Was driving to Dunfermline this afternoon. Queensferry crossing quite clearly signed at 40mph. The number of cars flying past doing 50 or more was staggering.
    Crazy. It's so easy for tragedies to happen in these conditions.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    A set of old wheel and a good set of winter tyres so you can quickly change wheels as the weather changes makes a massive difference.
    It's definitely worth it getting winter tyres and it's not even an 'extra' expense as you're not wearing down your summer tyres!

They work best at 10 degrees or less so mid November until there's better weather.

Also worth baring in mind there are some garages, for a small charge, will store the unused ones then swap the tyres around as needed. There might not even be a charge if you buy all your tyres through them.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member
    My Wifes Humvee just eats snow and ice, bring on the **** weather 😀

AND 😆

To prevent your doors and boot from becoming frozen shut give the seals a light smear of Vaseline or silicone polish. If you're the old fashioned type that still uses a key then WD40 the locks.

Make sure your windscreen wipers are not frozen to the screen before you set off.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Get up, shower,put the central heating on, make coffee, wake the wife, sit drinking coffee watching the wife scrape the car through the window then start journey when she’s finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    AND 😆

To prevent your doors and boot from becoming frozen shut give the seals a light smear of Vaseline or silicone polish. If you're the old fashioned type that still uses a key then WD40 the locks.

Make sure your windscreen wipers are not frozen to the screen before you set off.
    What is this key that you speak of? 😁

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Get up, shower,put the central heating on, make coffee, wake the wife, sit drinking coffee watching the wife scrape the car through the window then start journey when she’s finished.
    😂

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    One of the benefits of driving an electric car is the pre condition feature activated from the warmth of my livingroom

All windows cleared and car toasty when we get in for the school run

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It's definitely worth it getting winter tyres and it's not even an 'extra' expense as you're not wearing down your summer tyres!

They work best at 10 degrees or less so mid November until there's better weather.

Also worth baring in mind there are some garages, for a small charge, will store the unused ones then swap the tyres around as needed. There might not even be a charge if you buy all your tyres through them.
    Just the expense of an old set of alloys or steelies really. Amazing the difference in poor conditions. I must sell my old Ford ones

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    Always shocked by the number of drivers that are oblivious to adverse conditions or just ignore them. Not snow related, but the in the last month I've driven in thick fog (down to 20–30m visibility) three times, and never mind fog lights, each time there were multiple cars without even sidelights on. WTF?

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Always shocked by the number of drivers that are oblivious to adverse conditions or just ignore them. Not snow related, but the in the last month I've driven in thick fog (down to 20–30m visibility) three times, and never mind fog lights, each time there were multiple cars without even sidelights on. WTF?
    Not even when it's foggy, modern cars have lit dashboards and people forget about the headlights or side lights.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I think people who put their lights on auto forget that it’s darkness, not conditions that trigger the lights.

I’ve got a 4WD and absolutely love snow driving in that, but it’s treacherous.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I think people who put their lights on auto forget that it’s darkness, not conditions that trigger the lights.
    I might be wrong, but wouldn't cars that are modern enough to have auto lights also have sidelights/running lights on all the time anyway?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    One of the benefits of driving an electric car is the pre condition feature activated from the warmth of my livingroom

All windows cleared and car toasty when we get in for the school run

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    It's a brilliant feature!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Its going to be a horrible winter isn’t it? 2 snowfalls already and in -5/6 temps, halfway through Dec… Wrap up folks.

I might be wrong, but wouldn't cars that are modern enough to have auto lights also have sidelights/running lights on all the time anyway?
    They probably do. What a lot do they seem to realise its only their front lights that are on.
    Space to let