hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite toy

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Favourite toy

Back in my day my favourites were Action man and Subbuteo (both of which as collectables are worth a few quid) can remember Colditz, Buckeroo, Rebound, raving bonkers, timpo figures.
    What are you memories and favourites?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Back in my day my favourites were Action man and Subbuteo (both of which as collectables are worth a few quid) can remember Colditz, Buckeroo, Rebound, raving bonkers, timpo figures.
    What are you memories and favourites?
    Loved my dads old subbuteo, he got me the reissue champions league version maybe 2006-ish and it was *****! Hasbro have absolutely ruined a classic with basic errors like not having the bases completely flat. I still play to this day at a subbuteo club near where I live, now use Zeugo players. I loved robosapien, scalextric, and those replica lightsabers that made the noise when you skelped your pal across the skull with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I loved my board games. Monopoly, Cluedo, Risk and other strategy games. Nowadays I love card games, in particular the German bridge variant Skat.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Loved subbuteo, had the Jules Rimet World Cup edition with floodlights. Also liked,Rebound, Frustration, Ker Plunk and Mastermind. A particular favourite though was Evel Knievel, had the bike and the rocket shaped car, you wound the handle until they released and shot off up ramps I had made. I also was very rarely without my cowboy guns and holsters and my Winchester rifle. I was quick on the draw or so I thought. 😀

Memories are weird..

With that in mind, if you'd asked a 10 year old me this question you might've heard a different answer.

But looking back now I'd have to say it was my Evel Kneivel stunt cycle toy.
    That badass could jump over anything - and just like the real thing, no matter how much you smashed it, it came back for more!

*A few years later, when the BMX craze took off, guess who inspired me.... Still got the scars.
    Last edited by brianmc; 01-10-2022 at 12:29 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    A couple of things, my Aunty gave us an old Atari console, the one with the two paddles (white lines) that you moved up and down to hit a wee white dot to score against your opponent, it was brilliant and we spent many hours in front of our old black and white tv playing it

A Scalectrix set we got from our Uncle one Christmas, just a very basic one with two cars and two controls, the controls were very fiddly and there was no way of actually controlling the speed of the cars. Main problem was that it needed about four big chunky batteries that were not supplied and we couldnt afford to buy. I think we eventually unboxed it the following Christmas 🤣

My other favourite was a very simple yellow metal crane, nothing fancy, four wheels, a jib with a hook but hours of endless fun just turning the wee handle and lifting things up and down

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Tonka Toys. They were almost indestructible.

Tape loading games on a ZX Spectrum, oddly therapeutic - Load"" 😀

Had a Subbuteo pitch stuck to a big plywood board. I was probably at the tail end of Subbuteos run as it was around the time the FIFA games started appearing on the Mega Drive and the like. What a game though, wish I had held on to some it it.

Always been a big fan of games that everyone can play together at Christmas or other gatherings. Jenga, Uno etc. I got my daughter Hungry Hippos for Christmas last year and forgot how much fun that is.

I was also in early primary school at the time to both the Thunderbirds craze resurgence and Power Rangers so had a Tracey Island and all the different Power Rangers dolls (green was my favourite obviously).

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I was always into construction toys Lego and Meccano and Airfix models, had loads of planes dangling on strings from the ceiling in my bedroom. Did get into Subbuteo for a while with my mates had a mini league going (still got mine from 50 years ago now in the attic) was also keen on Action Man and Tommy Gun, the cheap alternative, I got for Christmas one year.

@hibs.net private member
    Forgot about my spud gun 🤣

@hibs.net private member
    Some great items already mentioned ..I’ll add Crossfire..liked a game of that

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Thunderbirds was my favourite back in the 60s, I even had a John Tracey T5 space station!

Some great board games as well, Wembley, Soccerama, Par Golf, Totopoly.

Escalado was brilliant, a horse racing game with metal horses and a track that you bolted to the kitchen table 😂

Then on to Table Soccer and eventually Subbuteo 😃

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Loved subbuteo, had the Jules Rimet World Cup edition with floodlights.
    Still got mine.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Anybody have that golf game where the player was on like a long pole, well golf club and you pulled like a trigger. Had a very foamy uneven green. Probably a pretty crap description that 🤪. Some great memories on here and an interesting comparison between generations.

Casdon soccer or striker anyone?

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    My dad had a mate who imported stuff from Hong Kong so I had a skittle alley powered by elasstic band which was areal winner. There was also a footlall game played with a ball bearing and triggers 1-11 each side in a classic 2 3 5 formation.The longest survivor was the table football You know 4 handles each side eventually passed on to nephews.when I was about 20.
    Any board game, Monopoly, Cluedo, Careers, Risk, Go, Totopoly, Spy Ring.
    I do remember the golf game with the golfer on a pole.The Ideal "Curling" Game as well. Name escapes me.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    My Matchbox London tram, which I still have now. My dad was an ECT/LRT driver, so it's painted with the madder paint he got me.

It's now the oldest member of my 200+ bus collection.

I also loved Airfix models and had them hanging from my ceiling. I still build them to this day. In fact, I bought a Boeing Deamliner for my birthday today.

If anyone is near Birmingham and likes building models I suggest a visit to Parabellum in the Jewellery Quarter., where I bought it. You can also look them up online.

Got a empty action man box for Christmas my dad said he was a deserter

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Got a empty action man box for Christmas my dad said he was a deserter

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Tracey Island.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Anybody have that golf game where the player was on like a long pole, well golf club and you pulled like a trigger. Had a very foamy uneven green. Probably a pretty crap description that 🤪. Some great memories on here and an interesting comparison between generations.

Casdon soccer or striker anyone?
    I had this too. Think it was called an Arnold Palmer Pro shot golf

I loved my scalextric, but it was always breaking down. I used to make matchbox planes up, great fun

@hibs.net private member
    Scaletrix and subeuteo were big in my house as well my dad would skelp me at that almost daily before the amstrad and NES took over. I was quite into action figures, he-man, thundercats, turtles, wwf but I remember having this driving game that sat on your lap with a steering wheel gear stick and a screen that was just lights behind a moving track you’d move the car out the way of objects, some amount of time spent on that

Big bit of chipboard which was stored against the wall behind my mum and dad's wardrobe. Subbuteo pitch glued to one side. Hornby train track nailed to the other. Still got the original train set. Not so much the subbuteo gear.

Battle Tops was a favourite. Also liked a game of Mastermind. Top Trumps another.

Outdoors in the summer empty fairy liquid bottles filled with water amused us for hours. As did catching bees in washed jam jars from the neighbors flowering hedge.

Darker evenings were occupied with hide and seek, chicken runs through the street back gardens and rose bud runs along the front.

Who needed toys? 🙂

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Big bit of chipboard which was stored against the wall behind my mum and dad's wardrobe. Subbuteo pitch glued to one side. Hornby train track nailed to the other. Still got the original train set. Not so much the subbuteo gear.

Battle Tops was a favourite. Also liked a game of Mastermind. Top Trumps another.

Outdoors in the summer empty fairy liquid bottles filled with water amused us for hours. As did catching bees in washed jam jars from the neighbors flowering hedge.

Darker evenings were occupied with hide and seek, chicken runs through the street back gardens and rose bud runs along the front.

Who needed toys? 🙂
    And in the winter time getting bottles of water to pour on the pavement to make slides, or down the beach at the woods swinging from trees on ropes.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    And in the winter time getting bottles of water to pour on the pavement to make slides, or down the beach at the woods swinging from trees on ropes.
    Just a heads up guys it’s conker season.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I was also in early primary school at the time to both the Thunderbirds craze resurgence and Power Rangers so had a Tracey Island and all the different Power Rangers dolls (green was my favourite obviously).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Tracey Island.
    I hope you both mean a real Tracey Island, built out of polystyrene and cereal boxes at Blue Peter's instruction, not some plastic crap you got in a shop.

Chad Valley Soccer Stadium. My right back scored every time the ball went to him.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    Johnny 7 Gun, big fav of mine back in the day.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Had a Subbuteo pitch stuck to a big plywood board. I was probably at the tail end of Subbuteos run as it was around the time the FIFA games started appearing on the Mega Drive and the like. What a game though, wish I had held on to some it it.

I thought the same until a couple of years ago my old dear handed me a bag of Subbuteo odds and ends she'd found in the loft. No goals, a lot of missing players and several of those who remained had suffered career-ending injuries over the years but enough survivors for a USSR v Bradford City 11-a-side game. Pitch is still through there though, it's the Astroturf in a giant tube so we've not managed on the train home with it yet. Don't know if the cats would allow me a game without getting involved, mind.
    Last edited by G15 Hibs; 03-10-2022 at 12:22 PM.

Action Force. Looking back my folks must have spent a fortune every Xmas on 'vehicles' and men.

He-man figures too. Fond memories