hibs.net Messageboard

Panini and Probability

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ounds-football

I found this story really interesting, for a number of reasons; my boy and I completed the Russia and Brazil albums, I got more enthusiastic than he did I think. But I'd never spend what it needs to complete this one. Plus my son is now too old,
    , embarrassing.

What motivates people to do it, when it's essentially pointless?
    The quality of the paper isn't even as good, you don't get as much info on the players as you used to to.

And try to get your head around the probability that the maths professor was using to explain the likelihood of completing a pack for the face value of the packs alone, with no duplicates. Mindscramble.

Anyone going to admit to throwing good money after bad?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I bought the Scottish Panini and English Merlin albums every year throughout the 90s, bought all the WC ones up to 1998 as well.

Probably easier to complete as a child. Some of your pocket money spent on packs on a Saturday morning then 'got, got, need' with the doublers in the playground on a Monday.

Think I still have a load of completed albums mixed in with my programme collection.

Wouldn't have the interest or desire to do it now.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Heard an expert on these things on the radio, a shrewd collector could get a full set for £150 apparently if you know enough other collectors and do swaps. Value of a 1978 Argentina mint collection(no scores filled in) is worth several hundred according to the expert.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I've completed a couple as a kid. There was a point you could order particular stickers to complete your book

@hibs.net private member
    I have the Orbis Italia 90 book complete which is an absolute cracker lots of info pages etc I’ve no idea how much it cost to complete I was 8 yrs old so my parents must have helped a fair bit. Still got it moved house a fair amount since so it’s not pristine but I love having a look through it still when I’m up the loft

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've completed a couple as a kid. There was a point you could order particular stickers to complete your book
    On the one or two I completed I did this. Also the playground at school was great to get missing ones as well. I kind of wish this carried over into adulthood going deals on stickers. Made some good friends as well.

Got, got, not got, got ...

Only ever completed 1 & had more doubles & trebles left to fill another couple

And if you have just a few gaps, and think you've "just about completed it...

"What is interesting is that to collect just the last 19 stickers for the book, you would still be required to buy 483 packets of stickers, or half the total number of expected packets,” Harper said. “Put another way, you are only halfway through when you have just 19 stickers left to collect.”

I also liked this stat;

"A migrant stadium worker who helped build the Qatar 2022 stadiums would need to have worked 1,964 hours to afford the cost of completing the album, based on the 45p-an-hour wage many were paid".

I went in the huff with them around about 1979 when Hibs and the other Scottish prem teams only got a single page, except for a certain pair of provincial Glasgow teams who got the full double page treatment.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Anyone remember the dream team middle page you could make? I suspect we all just put the Hibs starting 11 in again. I remember Darren Jackson being the “shiney” the year I completed one.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if you have just a few gaps, and think you've "just about completed it...

"What is interesting is that to collect just the last 19 stickers for the book, you would still be required to buy 483 packets of stickers, or half the total number of expected packets,” Harper said. “Put another way, you are only halfway through when you have just 19 stickers left to collect.”

I also liked this stat;

"A migrant stadium worker who helped build the Qatar 2022 stadiums would need to have worked 1,964 hours to afford the cost of completing the album, based on the 45p-an-hour wage many were paid".
    As a public sector worker in the UK.... where can I sign up to work on stadiums in Qatar?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk