hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 US Open

2022 US Open

In the run up to the US Open it looks like we'll be spared the drama that we had earlier this year with regards to Novak Djokovic's participation at the Australian Open

He has announced that he cannot travel to the USA due to being unvaccinated and therefore won't be taking part in the tournament.

In terms of this year's British interest Andy Murray starts against Francisco Cerundolo.

Cameron Norrie is seeded seventh and plays Frenchman Benoit Paire.

Kyle Edmund plays Casper Ruud.

Defending women's champion Emma Raducanu plays Alize Cornet in round one.

Serena Williams will play Danka Kovinic in what is expected to be her last tournament of her career.

Rafael Nadal plays Rinky Hijikata, defending men's champion Daniil Medvedev starts against Stefan Kozlov and Nick Kyrgios goes up against his doubles partner and good friend Thanasi Kokkinakis.

Starts on Monday.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I thought Djokovic's ban was confirmed a while back but good to hear it's confirmed.

A real shame Nadal had to retire injured at Wimbledon but I'd still love to see him make it 3 out of 4 in this year's slams.

Could be quite an open tournament.

What's Medvedev doing playing and Novak not? I ken it's US law but it seems mad given current state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's Medvedev doing playing and Novak not? I ken it's US law but it seems mad given current state of affairs.
    Personally don't have an issue with Russian players participating as they're not playing under the Russian flag.

I didn't agree with Wimbledon's approach and a Russian born player ended up winning the Ladies title anyway!

There is an argument that says banning unvaccinated people from entering your country should be no longer required but Djokovic knew what the consequences may be with his stance and he's more than comfortable with sticking by his beliefs so fair enough.

Andy Murray up first on Louis Armstrong Stadium tomorrow - 4pm BST.

Is it only being shown on prime?

Medvedev's opponent is a bit of an odd one. Rolling serves in at around 80mph and mostly patting the ball back with the occasional bit of pace. Not sure if this is his game or if he's just trying to bore Medvedev.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Is it only being shown on prime?
    Yes they have exclusive rights but it's going back to Sky Sports from next year.

Cerundolo is serving to avoid going down two sets to nil.

Murray two sets up.

One more to go.

Murray skooshing his way into round two - 4-1 up in the third set.

Murray wins 7-5 6-3 6-3 and will play either John Millman or Emilio Nava in round two.

He'll be chuffed with that against a seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Murray wins 7-5 6-3 6-3 and will play either John Millman or Emilio Nava in round two.

He'll be chuffed with that against a seed.
    Great stuff. Well done Andy!

Simona Halep out after losing to qualifier Daria Snigur (who has a fairly unusual style, but it obviously works!)

Harriet Dart beats 10th seed Daria Kasatkina.

Brilliant victory.

Jack Draper is also into the second round by beating Emil Ruusuvuori 6-4 6-3 6-3.

However Kyle Edmund lost 6-3 7-5 6-2 against Norwegian fifth seed Casper Ruud.

Serena Williams postpones her retirement by at least a couple of days after beating Danka Kovinic 6-3 6-3.

She has a tricky match in round two against second seed Anett Kontaveit, which could prove to be her last ever competitive match after almost 27 years as a professional tennis player.

Jack Draper is also into the second round by beating Emil Ruusuvuori 6-4 6-3 6-3.

However Kyle Edmund lost 6-3 7-5 6-2 against Norwegian fifth seed Casper Ruud.

Serena Williams postpones her retirement by at least a couple of days after beating Danka Kovinic 6-3 6-3.

She has a tricky match in round two against second seed Anett Kontaveit, which could prove to be her last ever competitive match after almost 27 years as a professional tennis player.
    Good wins for Norrie and (very shortly) Evans. Been a decent start to the tournament for the Brits. That Dart win was very impressive. Edmund was always unlikely to make much of an impression after so long out through injury.

Murray through to 3rd round . Security guard stopped fan putting Hibs scarf on Andy at end .

Stunning display from Murray. Absolutely flew through after losing the first set.

Interesting to hear him talking about how much belief Lendl gives him. They were a great combo in his heyday.

Sensational win by Britain's Jack Draper last night. He looks the real deal.

Norrie looks to be heading into the next round following Dan Evans' impressive win earlier. 4 British men in the last 32. When did that last happen in a Slam event?

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Norrie looks to be heading into the next round following Dan Evans' impressive win earlier. 4 British men in the last 32. When did that last happen in a Slam event?
    It's only ever happened once before, at Wimbledon in 1997.

Tim Henman
    Greg Rusedski
    Mark Petchey
    Andrew Richardson

They all got through to the third round that year - only Henman and Rusedski made it any further though as Petchey lost to Boris Becker and Richardson actually lost to Rusedski.

They've all got tough matches in the next round. I personally don't see Murray beating Berrettini or Evans beating Cilic.

Jack Draper has a tricky test v Karen Khachanov and Cam Norrie is probably the only one who is likely to come through v Holger Rune although it may not be straightforward.

Murray loses to Berrettini in 4 sets.

Not really a surprise to be honest.

Murray beaten in 4 sets
    Draper going well in his match

Draper was going well, think he is carrying an injury. Hope he can keep going as he is a break up in the third

Such a shame. Draper ain’t going to be able to continue surely

Draper retires in the third set.

That's a pity.

So that's it, after nearly 27 years as a professional, more than 6 years spent as the best player in the world and an Open Era record 23 Grand Slam titles Serena Williams has now "evolved" away from the sport.

Hats off to her opponent Ajla Tomljanovic as almost everyone inside the packed Arthur Ashe Stadium was willing her to lose but the Australian came through in the end 7-5 6-7 (4-7) 6-1 to reach the last 16 after more than 3 hours of play.

She has had some controversial moments during her career and hasn't been everyone's cup of tea during that time but there is no doubt in my mind that she is the so called "GOAT" of women's tennis and is one of the few athletes to transcend her sport.

Her records are incredible and some of them are highly unlikely to ever be beaten for a very long time;

Winning three Grand Slam titles from match point down.
    Winning three of the four majors six (or more) times each.
    Defeating the No. 1 and No. 2 ranked player at the same tournament eight times.
    Winning 10 Grand Slam titles after turning 30.
    Going 14-0 in Grand Slam doubles finals with Venus.
    Completing a Career Golden Slam in singles and doubles.

I know this song has certain links to a football club in this country that will make it unpopular to many on here but as she walked off for what is likely to be the final time "The Best" was played over the Arthur Ashe tannoy system and not even her most fervent critics could deny that it sums up Serena Williams perfectly.

Women's tennis has lost a huge figure and it's really hard to see anyone stepping into her very large shoes. She has done a lot for herself over the last 27 years and leaves the sport as the wealthiest female athlete of all time, however women's tennis is in a much better state because of her, she was the top name that everyone looked out for in any draw and it will be hard to find another Serena Williams

Good luck to her with whatever she chooses to do in the next chapter of her career, I'm quite sure that she won't be spoilt for choice and I don't think we've heard the last of Serena Jameka Williams.

Murray loses to Berrettini in 4 sets.

Not really a surprise to be honest.
    Just couldn't get any consistency with his first serve. Otherwise I think he could have run Berrettini close.

He won't see it that way but it's been a respectable tournament for him.

So that's it, after nearly 27 years as a professional, more than 6 years spent as the best player in the world and an Open Era record 23 Grand Slam titles Serena Williams has now "evolved" away from the sport.

Hats off to her opponent Ajla Tomljanovic as almost everyone inside the packed Arthur Ashe Stadium was willing her to lose but the Australian came through in the end 7-5 6-7 (4-7) 6-1 to reach the last 16 after more than 3 hours of play.

She has had some controversial moments during her career and hasn't been everyone's cup of tea during that time but there is no doubt in my mind that she is the so called "GOAT" of women's tennis and is one of the few athletes to transcend her sport.

Her records are incredible and some of them are highly unlikely to ever be beaten for a very long time;

Winning three Grand Slam titles from match point down.
    Winning three of the four majors six (or more) times each.
    Defeating the No. 1 and No. 2 ranked player at the same tournament eight times.
    Winning 10 Grand Slam titles after turning 30.
    Going 14-0 in Grand Slam doubles finals with Venus.
    Completing a Career Golden Slam in singles and doubles.

I know this song has certain links to a football club in this country that will make it unpopular to many on here but as she walked off for what is likely to be the final time "The Best" was played over the Arthur Ashe tannoy system and not even her most fervent critics could deny that it sums up Serena Williams perfectly.

Women's tennis has lost a huge figure and it's really hard to see anyone stepping into her very large shoes. She has done a lot for herself over the last 27 years and leaves the sport as the wealthiest female athlete of all time, however women's tennis is in a much better state because of her, she was the top name that everyone looked out for in any draw and it will be hard to find another Serena Williams

Good luck to her with whatever she chooses to do in the next chapter of her career, I'm quite sure that she won't be spoilt for choice and I don't think we've heard the last of Serena Jameka Williams.
    Never a fan. I found women's tennis too boring to watch when she was demolishing all comers with phenomenal power, often in under an hour, and the supposed other top players were rarely consistent enough to justify their rankings. Nevertheless she clearly rejuvenated a weak and uninspiring women's game, with younger players bringing more aggression and coupling that with a lot of skill - to the extent the women's game is now a much better watch (and one I feel could cope comfortably with an introduction of 5 set matches).

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Never a fan. I found women's tennis too boring to watch when she was demolishing all comers with phenomenal power, often in under an hour, and the supposed other top players were rarely consistent enough to justify their rankings. Nevertheless she clearly rejuvenated a weak and uninspiring women's game, with younger players bringing more aggression and coupling that with a lot of skill - to the extent the women's game is now a much better watch (and one I feel could cope comfortably with an introduction of 5 set matches).
    I wasn't her biggest fan either, I think she had a bit of a nasty side to her that she often got away with because she's Serena Williams.

I agree with you about the 5 sets as well.

Still she'll be a huge miss for the sport.