hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I won't be applauding but I wouldn't dream of spoiling it for those who want to show their respect or appreciation or whatever.

If you want to applaud then do so. If you don't then stay in the concourse or just stand quietly.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Greatest goalkeeper I’ve seen in a Hibs shirt who gave his absolute all for the team when he was with us. Saved us from hidings on more than a few occasions. Deserves applause today.
    Agree also the best keeper I have seen for Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Is he? Which terrorist group does he support.
    IRA. They are terrorist just like the UVF are terrorists. Killing innocent people on either side make the groups terrorists. But that won't suit your narrative. I support Hibs as I don't want my club to be involved or take sides in any of that.

I know people still cling to the past that we were started by Irish Catholics, but so what. We are now a secular Scottish club that should be inclusive to all and leave that sh*t to the two bigoted clubs in the West.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fife hfc View Post
    IRA. They are terrorist just like the UVF are terrorists. Killing innocent people on either side make the groups terrorists. But that won't suit your narrative. I support Hibs as I don't want my club to be involved or take sides in any of that.

I know people still cling to the past that we were started by Irish Catholics, but so what. We are now a secular Scottish club that should be inclusive to all and leave that sh*t to the two bigoted clubs in the West.

The IRA were Paramilitaries. I don’t think we get to decide if they were terrorists but that’s maybe a debate for the Holy Ground. Personally I’ll be ignoring the applause.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I couldnt join that lot in anything, great keeper though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I won't be applauding but I wouldn't dream of spoiling it for those who want to show their respect or appreciation or whatever.

If you want to applaud then do so. If you don't then stay in the concourse or just stand quietly.
    Likewise

All a matter of perceptions. UVF also can be seen as a paramilitary group but to me both them and IRA are terrorists. But as you say this board is not the place for this. I personally believe alot of fans will try justifying booing by claiming a terrorist link, while wouldn't do the same for Stokes. Totally hypocritical.

@hibs.net private member
    Has there ever been a minutes applause so long after someone had passed. If this fixture was at Ibrox do you think they would have held one. To me this is an attempt, which has worked, to force us into a minutes applause on The Rangers terms. The club were between a rock and a hard place. I always think there should be a policy for these things as there will have been players who have passed that have not received an applause and now we are having one for a player which has been organised by the opposition. I think I will stand in the concourse

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    The IRA were Paramilitaries. I don’t think we get to decide if they were terrorists but that’s maybe a debate for the Holy Ground. Personally I’ll be ignoring the applause.
    Not sure how many paramilitaries bomb pubs and shopping centres,but agree that's not a debate for GHC.

First Team Regular OstKurve Hibs's Avatar

What do you mean, so what ? Just cos you dont give a **** about the clubs history and founding members doesnt mean we all feel the same way.

All a matter of perceptions. UVF also can be seen as a paramilitary group but to me both them and IRA are terrorists. But as you say this board is not the place for this. I personally believe alot of fans will try justifying booing by claiming a terrorist link, while wouldn't do the same for Stokes. Totally hypocritical.

What the ****s Stokes and alleged links to the IRA (who pretty much disbanded when Stokes was 6) have to do with Goram and the UVF?

Whataboutery at it's finest. Can't have a discussion about one without bringing in the otherm

Loooooool.

But not Irish republicans?

@hibs.net private member
    Andy was my favourite player as a child and I have great memories of him. It was sad when he signed for Rangers but he then got the respect his goalkeeping deserved that it never got at Hibs. It was even sadder to read about the way he was drawn into the culture that surrounds Rangers.

I think as Hibs fans we are perfectly entitled to a minute's applause for the contribution he made to the club. It doesn't mean we approve of everything he did.

We can also dislike what some of the Rangers fans or players have stood for without hating or despising them as people. That type of hatred is what underpins bigotry in the first place.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    As the song said, two Andy Goram's. Maybe Hibs can claim the original one, the guy who joined and served us with distinction and the Huns can claim the other one? Then everybody's happy.

I had mixed feelings when Goram died. He actually came across well in interviews, the kind of guy you could imagine having a pint and a laugh with . On the other hand, he courted the attentions of high profile murderers, fully buying into the sectarian culture at Ibrox. That I found a bit of a challenge. It's not as if he was born into or grew up around it.

People mentioning Stokes. I don't know if he was involved with the IRA or whether he just happened to know folk that were, but it's not really relevant. Fact is that there will be a minutes applause for Goram today, most will respect it, a few bams will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Far too much common sense here mate. Where's your outrage

Quote Originally Posted by CraigHibee View Post
    Reprehensible

I will applaud all Hibs Fans who remain in the concourse while this goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    Greatest goalkeeper I’ve seen in a Hibs shirt who gave his absolute all for the team when he was with us. Saved us from hidings on more than a few occasions. Deserves applause today.
    Agree 100%. One of the best players I've ever seen at ER.

I'd be surprised if the club WEREN'T acknowledging his very sad passing.

Testimonial Due
    Clap or just ignore it. Some absolute children in our support.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Has there ever been a minutes applause so long after someone had passed. If this fixture was at Ibrox do you think they would have held one. To me this is an attempt, which has worked, to force us into a minutes applause on The Rangers terms. The club were between a rock and a hard place. I always think there should be a policy for these things as there will have been players who have passed that have not received an applause and now we are having one for a player which has been organised by the opposition. I think I will stand in the concourse
    Or did Rangers maybe think it would be an appropriate day to hold such a tribute? They could presumanly have held one at Ibrox before now but this at least acknowledges he played with distinction for both clubs - something you rarely see mentioned in the media, who almost always refer to him only as a Rangers player.

That's would be my reading of the situation. Not really getting the head-popping rage from some. If I was going today I'd applaud Andy as a Hibs great.

@hibs.net private member
    Everyone who is there will decide what to.
    I will applaud for his contribution as a Hibs player just like every other time I have applauded at a football game be it for fans or opposition players .
    I have had no idea what the fans or opposition players beliefs are outside football but I applaud due to there connection to the football club

Religion and politics should be nowhere near football but unfortunately they are. I hope it goes well, he was a great keeper, arguably Scotland's best ever.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Unfortunately this has the potential to end up quite badly for us but hopefully our extremist minority who don't want to engage with any tribute decide to either stay in the concourse for 60 seconds or just stay silent, rather than giving the club a red neck.
    Sorry, so you’re an extremist if you don’t stand up and applaud the memory of an ex Hibs player who was a confirmed anti catholic bigot, an anti Irish racist and a supporter of the UVF?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Reprehensible

I will applaud all Hibs Fans who remain in the concourse while this goes on.
    Me too Mick, my seats will be empty

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Not sure how many paramilitaries bomb pubs and shopping centres,but agree that's not a debate for GHC.
    We'll all be standing in silence for such people once poppy season gets into full swing.

Andy was a very nice guy and very good company. Yes he was an idiot too particularly with his embracing of their pish. I’m not there today but I’d undoubtedly applaud a guy who was an outstanding player for us. He always held Hibs in high regard too.

The guy is dead, some respect shouldn’t be too much to ask really.

You can already see this isn't going to go to plan, there are very mixed views across forums and social media, just hope it's not too bad. Goram and Bell chant already being aired on Easter Road
    Last edited by LunasBoots; 20-08-2022 at 10:53 AM.

I really couldnt imagine standing and applauding an anti Irish racist and a supporter of a terrorist organization so much so that he wore a black arm band onto the pitch when one of their kind was killed.

Something to think about as you applaud though.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LunasBoots View Post
    You can already see this isn't going to go to plan, there are very mixed views across forums and social media, just hope it's not too bad. Goram and Bell chant already being aired on Easter Road
    What a seriously ****ing horrible bunch we have amongst our support.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    What a seriously ****ing horrible bunch we have amongst our support.
    What for not applauding the man who wore a black armband for Billy Wright? Aye, it’s the hibs fans that are disgusting right enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i'll be in front of my TV, i shall not be clapping :), instead i will be remembering him with the fondness i had for him whilst at Hibs

i'm quite sure the filth in the south stand will be paying homage to AG's favourite terrorist organisation throughout 90+ minutes

hopefully no disrespect for him is shown during the clapathon