hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Wage thief !!

@hibs.net private member

Wage thief !!

On here, we sometimes get negative comments about injured players, particularly those who are out for a long time ..

This is a (imo) a very insightful discussion with Mikey Devlin Hamilton, Aberdeen , I think now Fleetwood?) On what it’s like to be injured as a pro player ..the challenges with mental health and the world of a player who can’t play due to injury …

Brings a human angle to something that is often disregarded on here ..worth a listen

https://open.spotify.com/episode/47K...TJi-l2nDQdjd1w
    Last edited by bigwheel; 16-08-2022 at 08:37 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

That was quite a brutal listen but really insightful. It’s far to easy for us as fans to disassociate a player from being an actual human being with feelings and stresses in their lives like we all do.
    Last edited by Lendo; 16-08-2022 at 08:59 AM.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was quite a brutal listen but really insightful. It’s far to easy for us as fans to disassociate a player from being an actual human being with feelings and stresses in their lives like we all do.
    thats why I dislike hibs fans saying just bin Kyle magennis rip up his contract. The guy will be just as gutted as us that he can’t play. Just wish hibs would give us updates tho.

Fitba clubs always have players out injured. Imagine if you got hurt at your work and your company’s customers wanted you off the wage bill.
    Our reputation for looking after injured players makes a difference when signing new talent

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    thats why I dislike hibs fans saying just bin Kyle magennis rip up his contract. The guy will be just as gutted as us that he can’t play. Just wish hibs would give us updates tho.

Firstly, thanks to OP for posting, I loathe the 'wage thief ' expression. With regard to KM, its just not that simple to continually give updates, particularly if there's nothing new to say. I'm sure many of us wouldn't want our employee discussing our health matters in public, particularly if the issues aren't just physical.
    Not having a go at you, I very much agree your overall thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    I think he'll be far more gutted than any of us. It's a real shame. I just hope he's feeling okay mentally and Hibs are checking on that.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    I think the general public really underestimates the mental health part of being a professional athlete. It plays just as big a part as physical fitness does and I want our players to be happy to be here and feel like part of the community, especially the lads coming from other countries and cultures, it's really easy to feel isolated when making a big move like that and can imagine if you pile an injury on top that takes you away from your team mates it can be very lonely.

Loads of people were having a go at KM when he went on holiday during the offseason and it was really out of order, spending time with family and friends is probably the best thing you can do when you are out injured, obviously as well as your prescribed rehab.

I know this is taking it a bit off course, but did anyone see the clip of Kylian Mbappe playing for PSG the other night? He's free on the left, the player in the middle chooses not to play the ball in to him and instead takes the attack over to the right. Mbappe throws his toys out the pram, downs tools and stops playing. As play progresses they get the ball down the right in a position to play the ball in the box and Mbappe is back near the half way line still stropping and throwing his arms in the air.

Now if you think about various people who have been described as a "wage thief" over the years and for what reason, this was by far the most appalling example of a player "not trying" that I've ever seen. And we all know the type of money Mbappe is on. Problems can arise when you reach superstar level to that extent and you have someone who is basically untouchable.

It made me think... what would the reaction be if a Hibs player tried something like that? It was a disgusting piece of behaviour.

A player who is genuinely trying to get fit but is struggling physically can never be a "wage thief" imo. If a player can so obviously down tools during a game like that, that's another story.

Edit - found it.

Magennis has done nothing wrong and is entitled to every penny from the contract he signed with us. Anyone who thinks differently is a moron IMHO.

The mistake is 100% on Hibs in signing an injured player in the first place. We have to own that decision and eat the **** sandwich we made ourselves.
    Maybe if all the stars align and he gets fit, we’ll get a couple of seasons out of the massive 5 year deal we gave him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I know this is taking it a bit off course, but did anyone see the clip of Kylian Mbappe playing for PSG the other night? He's free on the left, the player in the middle chooses not to play the ball in to him and instead takes the attack over to the right. Mbappe throws his toys out the pram, downs tools and stops playing. As play progresses they get the ball down the right in a position to play the ball in the box and Mbappe is back near the half way line still stropping and throwing his arms in the air.

Now if you think about various people who have been described as a "wage thief" over the years and for what reason, this was by far the most appalling example of a player "not trying" that I've ever seen. And we all know the type of money Mbappe is on. Problems can arise when you reach superstar level to that extent and you have someone who is basically untouchable.

It made me think... what would the reaction be if a Hibs player tried something like that? It was a disgusting piece of behaviour.

A player who is genuinely trying to get fit but is struggling physically can never be a "wage thief" imo. If a player can so obviously down tools during a game like that, that's another story.

Edit - found it.

I'd want rid regardless of who it was. Shocking, shocking attitude. He's really become an absolute welt in this last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Edit - found it.

Mbappe is now the boss at PSG so can do what he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Fitba clubs always have players out injured. Imagine if you got hurt at your work and your company’s customers wanted you off the wage bill.
    Our reputation for looking after injured players makes a difference when signing new talent
    I remember when on loan Martin Boyle got injured in the final game against Falkirk (iirc) and before we even signed him permanently we had him back in looking after his injury etc. I can imagine things like that stick with a player and others take notice when it comes to signing for them. Can imagine looking after Boyle was just one part of a larger story that helped bid his affinity with the club.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    It really did bring home the reality of being criticised or injured as a pro player ..good on Devlin for being so open and clear …from the message boards and terraces , we somehow treat them as robots rather than human beings ..

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Firstly, thanks to OP for posting, I loathe the 'wage thief ' expression. With regard to KM, its just not that simple to continually give updates, particularly if there's nothing new to say. I'm sure many of us wouldn't want our employee discussing our health matters in public, particularly if the issues aren't just physical.
    Not having a go at you, I very much agree your overall thoughts.
    Me too - I used it to underline the nastiness of it - and link it to the podcast. Horrible demeaning term.

C'mon Kyle , get fit Sur.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Yep. The player that didn’t pass to him will probably be punted.

@hibs.net private member
    Good thread with a point that has to be made.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    This is the reason I try defend Newell, Rocky etc when I see the wage thief comments or spineless comments. You never know what they're going through behind the screens and a lot read the boards/socials. It must be crushing for them knowing they're playing bad/cant get fit and seeing their own fans, who should be supporting them abusing the character of players.

They're humans, if I came into anyone's job and slated your every move and told everyone around you how the workplace won't improve until someone is gone, or till someone gets up to speed, it would demoralise them massively. Footballers are the same.

Fans need to learn the difference between criticism and abuse, because one is perfectly fair and one isn't, and most of the time probably doesn't help the form/situation the player is in. I can only imagine how Doidge and Tavares feel after the abuse they've had the past week, Rocky in the past, Newell, Macey.

Hell, even Logan came out and said whilst he gets the jokes about his weight are sometimes made without intention to hurt him, they do.

(Cue the posters coming along to say they earn enough money to stop being snowflakes...)

@hibs.net private member phoenixfire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    This is the reason I try defend Newell, Rocky etc when I see the wage thief comments or spineless comments. You never know what they're going through behind the screens and a lot read the boards/socials. It must be crushing for them knowing they're playing bad/cant get fit and seeing their own fans, who should be supporting them abusing the character of players.

They're humans, if I came into anyone's job and slated your every move and told everyone around you how the workplace won't improve until someone is gone, or till someone gets up to speed, it would demoralise them massively. Footballers are the same.

Fans need to learn the difference between criticism and abuse, because one is perfectly fair and one isn't, and most of the time probably doesn't help the form/situation the player is in. I can only imagine how Doidge and Tavares feel after the abuse they've had the past week, Rocky in the past, Newell, Macey.

Hell, even Logan came out and said whilst he gets the jokes about his weight are sometimes made without intention to hurt him, they do.

(Cue the posters coming along to say they earn enough money to stop being snowflakes...)
    Good post ! Your right footballers and managers too are normal human beings ! Hopefully they don't come on to read what's been said on here sometimes! It's all happy and good when things are going well !though when things aren't going well or we lose a game what a change there is on here ! Sack manager ! That players rubbish ! Get rid ! It's relentless ! Take Tavares for example ! Young lad at new club , new country , away from family and already getting criticism ! It's easy backing our club ,our manager, our players when things are rosy but for me a true fan supports or should when we aren't going well maybe a very bad spell!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Indeed. But his club have created this situation and are also to blame.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Indeed. But his club have created this situation and are also to blame.
    Hasn't that rumour been shut down by most credible journos?

I have only ever used the term wage thief in conjunction with players who visibly had the heart of a mouse and weren't trying a leg on the pitch, never an injured player or one that wasn't good enough technically but still put in a shift.

What's the story with Magennis, is it another "he'll be a few weeks" rinse and repeat story? Great player with drive when fit, fingers crossed we get a tune out of him sooner rather than later

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    I have only ever used the term wage thief in conjunction with players who visibly had the heart of a mouse and weren't trying a leg on the pitch, never an injured player or one that wasn't good enough technically but still put in a shift.

What's the story with Magennis, is it another "he'll be a few weeks" rinse and repeat story? Great player with drive when fit, fingers crossed we get a tune out of him sooner rather than later
    Did you listen to the podcast ? Listen to a player talk about abuse like that term ? It’s a degrading term…there’s often reasons players are not performing, being a human is one…and it’s almost never they are not trying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thing is aswell, these players are hibs won’t be making the kinda money which means they don’t have a care in the world , so they will still all have the worries of you and me