hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SickBoy32 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha dreadful comment, the fans are increasingly uneasy because it's as clear as the nose on your face that our transfer policy is hurting us, again.

The Ian Gordon situation is odd, is there any comparison in the modern world of football of such clear nepotism? (Roman Romanov aside)

The guy is clearly never the best man for the position he finds himself in - judging by how ruthless RG has been with management teams, his son is seemingly teflon.

I worry that we'll continue to flounder until this is properly addressed.
    …and that’s a direct question needing asked of Ron Gordon. Why are key positions continually not addressed in successive transfer windows, irrespective of who the current manager is?
    Last edited by Scotty Leither; 16-08-2022 at 09:10 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    …and that’s a direct question needing asked of Ron Gordon. Why are key positions continually not addressed in successive transfer windows, irrespective of who the current manager is?
    Not convinced RG has been entirely truthful about the role of his son, never mind his actual qualifications for the role. However in saying that has LJ, an experienced manager, taken the job with the understanding he won’t be able to sign the players/fill the positions he wants ? It would seem a big risk on his part ‘cos ultimately if we struggle it won’t be Ian Gordon who loses his job it will be Johnson.

First Team Breakthrough
    We have a young team, players with lots of potential. Behind that we have a brilliant youth team aswell.

Future looks bright, talk of sacking the manager is mental imo.

Id give him a full season at the very the least unless team looked relegation threatened.

Boyle has just come back, still not match fit, lots of new signings like Youan, Bojang, Cabrajes still finding their feet.

Nisbet and Magennis surely will make a massive impact when they come back aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We have signed 2 forwards, but neither can play up front on their own, and the way we are just firing balls up the park to them is why i said the spine of the team.

Doidge is finished, so if we continue to just launch the ball as we are doing now much more than previously, then we need a Doidge type player, obviously much better than this version.
    So the manager needs to change the style to suit the players he has signed, rather than just signing more.

Our xG, or whatever it's called, seems to be getting talked about on here quiet a bit, should we be going back into the market or coaching our attacking players to convert?

Coaching has to be the answer doesn't it?

Testimonial Due
    To me we are not much different in style from JR and Maloney. LJ already made a lot of bad calls - League Cup, Tait and who has sent out on loan plus playing a not match fit Hanlon. When you are out of work you accept an employer's philosophy even if you think it is bonkers. Lucky to finish top 6 but I am sure he will be allowed to start again next season. RG can't afford another knee jerk reaction. Me I expect nothing this season and will saviour the few highs. Maybe the Boyle goal will be our highlight of the season.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    So the manager needs to change the style to suit the players he has signed, rather than just signing more.
    Dont be stupid, most of these players whatever system you care to mention are either not good enough yet, will they ever be?

We leak goals by terrible defending from the front, right back to the defence, we create little, and we've gone back to the boy band players without the originals swagger and grit.

Pep wouldnt get a tune out of this lot, we are capable of the odd result, but under this manager or any other manager we appoint, this lot of players will eventually get them sacked unless the transfer committee eventually bring in the quality we've needed for years.

If you’re going to achieve a Europe spot in the table you need a couple of strikers who will get double figures, Boyle aside we don’t have that with Nisbet missing half the season at least, Doidge looks a shadow, Youhan looks to have good quality but goalscoring and double figures I’m not so sure. Putting the ball in the net has been a BIG issue for a long time now.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Dont be stupid, most of these players whatever system you care to mention are either not good enough yet, will they ever be?

We leak goals by terrible defending from the front, right back to the defence, we create little, and we've gone back to the boy band players without the originals swagger and grit.

Pep wouldnt get a tune out of this lot, we are capable of the odd result, but under this manager or any other manager we appoint, this lot of players will eventually get them sacked unless the transfer committee eventually bring in the quality we've needed for years.
    We don’t really leak that many goals. That’s just a stupid criticism that’s been made so often that folk seem to jump on it now. We’ve conceded the least amount of goals, out with the old firm, 2 seasons on the bounce now.

The boy band stuff is pish tae.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    We don’t really leak that many goals. That’s just a stupid criticism that’s been made so often that folk seem to jump on it now. We’ve conceded the least amount of goals, out with the old firm, 2 seasons on the bounce now.

In general I suppose you're right, but we're coming off a weekend where losing a couple of really bad goals lost us the game.

Our main issues are middle to front, and have been for a while. Boyle carried us for a while and the effect of getting him back shouldn't be underestimated, but it doesn't really make up for the fact that we've not looked any more like scoring goals than we have for a couple of years.

FWIW I don't think we're far off - a quality striker could be the glue that holds the whole front line together, a quality midfielder could bring something else out of all our other midfielders and I still think we're perilously thin at CB.

Still talking about basically being a spine of a team short of being a team that should be challenging for 3rd though and with what we have we should accept that we won't be doing better than to battle to get into the top 6 and be reliant on very favourable draws to get as far in the cup as we have in recent years.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    In general I suppose you're right, but we're coming off a weekend where losing a couple of really bad goals lost us the game.

Our main issues are middle to front, and have been for a while. Boyle carried us for a while and the effect of getting him back shouldn't be underestimated, but it doesn't really make up for the fact that we've not looked any more like scoring goals than we have for a couple of years.

FWIW I don't think we're far off - a quality striker could be the glue that holds the whole front line together, a quality midfielder could bring something else out of all our other midfielders and I still think we're perilously thin at CB.

Still talking about basically being a spine of a team short of being a team that should be challenging for 3rd though and with what we have we should accept that we won't be doing better than to battle to get into the top 6 and be reliant on very favourable draws to get as far in the cup as we have in recent years.
    Your second paragraph, middle to front, is clearly what’s missing in my opinion.

It’s pointless putting Newell in that role, or JDH, that’s not what they do. Square pegs in round holes. Scotty Allan could do it pre-health issues, Magennis did it well in that wee spell we had him fit and playing there, but I’ve just got absolutely nae faith that we’ll ever get him in the team long enough to be able to count on him.

We need another player who can do it.

We need someone behind the striker, linking with the striker, getting past him on occasion. Henderson might develop into that player, but he’s not good enough at it just now.

You’re all over the place with this post.

The defending from the front is actually very good. Youan and Melkersen are pressing and chasing lost causes. Boyle is always good at that aswell.

We’ve lost a few crap goals at the weekend but nothing to do with any “boyband” stuff. Mainly it’s experienced players let us down.

We are creating chances aswell and that will improve as the coach works with the new players and the team build some understanding. We’ve signed some quality players, the jury is out on others and we defo need more quality in centre midfield.

Hardly the lost cause that you paint

Your second paragraph, middle to front, is clearly what’s missing in my opinion.

It’s pointless putting Newell in that role, or JDH, that’s not what they do. Square pegs in round holes. Scotty Allan could do it pre-health issues, Magennis did it well in that wee spell we had him fit and playing there, but I’ve just got absolutely nae faith that we’ll ever get him in the team long enough to be able to count on him.

We need another player who can do it.

We need someone behind the striker, linking with the striker, getting past him on occasion. Henderson might develop into that player, but he’s not good enough at it just now.
    Magennis last season almost gave the feeling of being a keystone. Pretty sure that we were still in contention to go top of the league (albeit early in the season) when he got injured. He also played in there with the much maligned pairing of JDH and Newell, who looked the part when he was in there with them.

So yeah, maybe we are only a similar player to Magennis or a fit Scott Allan short.

I'm still not convinced we've got the "middle of a front 3" cracked either, but I don't think we can expect much better than having Boyle and Youan as the 2 wide forwards.

It doesn't feel miles off but it doesn't feel quite there yet.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

The defending from the front is actually very good. Youan and Melkersen are pressing and chasing lost causes. Boyle is always good at that aswell.

We’ve lost a few crap goals at the weekend but nothing to do with any “boyband” stuff. Mainly it’s experienced players let us down.

We are creating chances aswell and that will improve as the coach works with the new players and the team build some understanding. We’ve signed some quality players, the jury is out on others and we defo need more quality in centre midfield.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Magennis last season almost gave the feeling of being a keystone. Pretty sure that we were still in contention to go top of the league (albeit early in the season) when he got injured. He also played in there with the much maligned pairing of JDH and Newell, who looked the part when he was in there with them.

So yeah, maybe we are only a similar player to Magennis or a fit Scott Allan short.

I'm still not convinced we've got the "middle of a front 3" cracked either, but I don't think we can expect much better than having Boyle and Youan as the 2 wide forwards.

If all fit our attacking players are

Henderson, Mitchell, Mcgeady, Tavares, Magennis, Boyle, Youan, Melkerson, Nisbet, Doidge, Bojang

That doesn't look bad options wise at all
    Its getting and keeping the main ones fit

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

Another thing I could see us being dangerous from would be opposition corners.

Instead of Maloney having everyone back in our box and no Boyle, I could now see us carrying a pretty devastating counter attack on us with the pace we have in the side and the distribution our GK and a few of our defenders have.

Not the same as "defending from the front" but I think we could potentially carry a potential threat that teams need to be very careful of exposing themselves to when attacking us.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Because deep down, the fans care. Give me that over apathy any day of the week.

There is definitely something to this.

Also, a fair few folk making noise are total a**holes… but many are genuine supporters who just want to see Hibs fulfil our enormous potential.

Anyone seriously suggesting LJ's coat is on a shoogly peg after 3 League games can be instantly dismissed as a complete idiot. Do desperately need a new central midfielder, ideally 2 though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Anyone seriously suggesting LJ's coat is on a shoogly peg after 3 League games can be instantly dismissed as a complete idiot. Do desperately need a new central midfielder, ideally 2 though.
    Thing is, for all the posts that talk about people wanting him sacked etc I can’t say I’ve actually seen anybody want him sacked.

The goals this season have been all down to terrible defending, that is leaking goals. What we done last season or the season before or the one before that is irrelivant, this season we are leaking goals through plain bad defending.

The boy band stuff was said because of us signing kids, none a patch on the original boy band.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    The goals this season have been all down to terrible defending, that is leaking goals. What we done last season or the season before or the one before that is irrelivant, this season we are leaking goals through plain bad defending.

The boy band stuff was said because of us signing kids, none a patch on the original boy band.
    We’ve conceded the same number of goals as Hearts this season. Only Rangers and Celtc have conceded less. Our issue is scoring goals and has been for a long time.

A large number of goals teams concede will be because players make mistakes and don’t defend as they normally would.

Goal v St J - They could argue horrific defending at the corner
    Goal v Hearts - They could argue horrific defending to not stop the run of Boyle or pick him up in the box
    Goal v Livi - They could argue horrific defending to leave Kenneh unmarked at the back post

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    In answer to the OP, they're not.

The danger here for LJ in the short to medium term however is that we need to see either a string of results to show that there is something steely building up or we need to see the emergence of the kind of play he predicted - fast-paced, goals and lots of pressing. So far, we've had neither.

On top of that our new signings (with the exception of the keeper) may look like prospects but not yet like first teamers ready to go and our established players by and large do not yet look improved under LJ. We haven't signed for the spine and we've known for a VERY long time that our core weaknesses are a scoring striker and a midfield playmaker - neither of which we've signed.

I'll use a jigsaw puzzle metaphor. The pieces we have in front of us don't quite look like they can make up the picture on the front of the box and the picture that we can see so constructed so far with the pieces we do have also seems to look different from the one on the box. Maybe we've dropped a couple of important pieces on the floor...

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Thing is, for all the posts that talk about people wanting him sacked etc I can’t say I’ve actually seen anybody want him sacked.
    Also true TBF 😅

A fit Magennis and Nisbet with Youan and Boyle either side would improve us so much. Until then I think Melkersen would do a job through the middle but who knows about midfield, we need to sign one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post

The danger here for LJ in the short to medium term however is that we need to see either a string of results to show that there is something steely building up or we need to see the emergence of the kind of play he predicted - fast-paced, goals and lots of pressing. So far, we've had neither.

On top of that our new signings (with the exception of the keeper) may look like prospects but not yet like first teamers ready to go and our established players by and large do not yet look improved under LJ. We haven't signed for the spine and we've known for a VERY long time that our core weaknesses are a scoring striker and a midfield playmaker - neither of which we've signed.

I'll use a jigsaw puzzle metaphor. The pieces we have in front of us don't quite look like they can make up the picture on the front of the box and the picture that we can see so constructed so far with the pieces we do have also seems to look different from the one on the box. Maybe we've dropped a couple of important pieces on the floor...
    That’s an absolutely excellent analogy.

Anybody suggesting LJ's coat is on a shoogly peg at this early stage is nuts in my opinion. He's practically working with a brand new team and has the same injury problems Maloney had to contend with, the difference being that LJ isn't daft enough to think he can get what he has got to play like Man City.

The other thing is, as others have said, you can only keep sacking managers for so long until folk start asking what the real root of the problem is. Ron Gordon was rightly praised ( not least by me ) for bringing Martin Boyle back to the club, but he simply can't be the whole answer or we are no further forward than we were under Jack Ross ..... IE ... get it to Boyle, get it to Boyle, get it to Boyle ... it's not a game plan.

The injury update released by the club today to my mind simply reinforces the fact that we still need an influential central midfield player and an experienced centre half. If Lee Johnson is expected to carry the can for our failure should we go on a bad run then that should be on the back of being fully supported by the club .... failing to bring in these players on the back of supplying the guy with a bunch of players for the development squad at big expense for the likes of us is not IMO supporting the current manager to the extent he should be .... if you want him to succeed give him the tools he needs now, not ones that might come in handy 18 months or 2 years down the line.

If LJ does crash and burn it's absolutely inevitable that fans will be pointing the finger at our current recruitment policy rather than him and Ron Gordon will feel the heat big time .... because if he thinks the fans have been a bit antsy over the last year he really needs to have a conversation with Rod Petrie to find out just how bad it can get.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    So who dropped the pieces and are we sure they haven't been hoovered up?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

And anybody calling Hibs fans idiots can instantly dismissed as a complete fud

See, it's easy to around calling folk names or insulting them!! There's really no need for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We’ve conceded the same number of goals as Hearts this season. Only Rangers and Celtc have conceded less. Our issue is scoring goals and has been for a long time.

A large number of goals teams concede will be because players make mistakes and don’t defend as they normally would.

Goal v St J - They could argue horrific defending at the corner
    Goal v Hearts - They could argue horrific defending to not stop the run of Boyle or pick him up in the box
    Goal v Livi - They could argue horrific defending to leave Kenneh unmarked at the back post
    And the goals we have conceded, could easily have been avoided, good teams avoid them more than bad teams.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

Maybe they’re not out the box yet (or even in it) rather than dropped on the floor.