hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why are fans talking about a new manager already.

It’s utterly ridiculous, we had a relatively successful but boring jack Ross sacked , we had a horrendous appointment of SM quite rightly sacked.
    But some fans posting, LJ has 16 days or 5 games to get it right, is madness.
    We have had a good win, a relatively good draw, and a bad defeat at a horrendous venue.
    Let’s give the guy some time, with relatively new players, to make an impact, instead of constantly asking to sack managers after every defeat.
    No fans wanted him sacked last friday.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Don't really think any or many are suggesting it. Also think LJ will get time no matter how poor the start is after what Ron Gordon has said about the Jack Ross stuff and giving a new manager more time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't really think any or many are suggesting it. Also think LJ will get time no matter how poor the start is after what Ron Gordon has said about the Jack Ross stuff and giving a new manager more time.
    There other hibs forums i’ve looked at today, that are saying he has to get a result against rangers, or even, on here saying he has to get so many points from the next 5 games.
    We really have to give the guy a chance, and not being overreactive after every defeat .

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Because the schools are still off

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    You’re right, it’s just a shame that with every disappointment the pressure from a certain section of fans will mount, but positive results won’t reduce that by the same amount unless it’s a real humdinger like beating the Huns at the weekend.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

It’s exhausting, it really is.

I’ve just accepted that no matter where we’re at people will moan.

Play silky attacking football and score loads of goals - “
    Stuff like boyband will get chucked about at our first loss to a poorer team that score from a set piece and vice versa.

Also some of the best players I’ve seen for Hibs still came in for loads of stick on here for whatever reason.

I have complete faith in LJ. He’ll get us there.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I agree utterly ridiculous

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I also don’t think it helps that the Blackburn manager was also seemingly on the running for the job. For some people I’ve no doubt it has made it look like we’ve gone for the “cheap” option.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Can't keep sacking or talking about sacking managers. If there's money to be spent it needs to be getting spent on players that are going to make us better now, not potentially make us better in years to come. We need to be competing for third spot now. Looks like Hearts are clear favourites for that again and in turn receiving more millions. They could run away from us realistically. This isn't Johnson's fault, there's a pattern forming here, the manager either buys into the transfer policy or he doesn't get through the door.
    Last edited by JammyDoidger; 15-08-2022 at 06:51 PM.

We can't just keep hiring and firing managers willy nilly.

Mind you. We also can't just keep signing players who are clearly not ready for 1st team football.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    LJ will get sacked if he's not given the funds to bring in a whole spine, centre half, central midfielder and a centre forward.

Not development players, not players who might be good in 2025, players better than we currently have now, as this lot will get him sacked, i have no doubt about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    We can't just keep hiring and firing managers willy nilly.

Mind you. We also can't just keep signing players who are clearly not ready for 1st team football.
    We've been sacking managers willy nilly for as long as I can remember. We'll never learn.

The problem these days is that every defeat seems to be treated as a crisis. Not just at hibs. Win a couple of games then lose one and the crisis returns. Its never ending. Social media plays a huge part in this as every game/decision is analysed incessantly until the next game comes around. Us old guys moaned about a defeat after the game in the pub then forgot about it till the following saturday. Simpler times.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I agree utterly ridiculous

To the point and absolutely spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    LJ will get sacked if he's not given the funds to bring in a whole spine, centre half, central midfielder and a centre forward.

Not development players, not players who might be good in 2025, players better than we currently have now, as this lot will get him sacked, i have no doubt about that.
    100% correct thread after thread about this problem and nothing has been done to rectify the problem seems everyone can see especially opposing teams who now target our weak spots

If Johnson finds himself under pressure in the coming weeks and months then we can't just scapegoat and sacrifice another manager.

This isn't a 'Gordon out' post but it still baffles me that we have a commercial director, a CEO, a sponsorship and marketing manager, an academy manager etc etc but have no sporting director overseeing the most important area of the club - the entire football operation.

It shows in our failures to address key areas of the 1st team squad. The time to panic wasn't 3 or 4 weeks ago I was told. Is it ok to panic now as the transfer window closing looms closer and we still have 2 or 3 gaping holes in the squad?

If we find ourselves floundering about in 8th or 9th after 15 or 20 games then there has to be an assessment that goes deeper than the manager. If there isn't then we will just find ourselves having the same conversations we did about Ross, about Maloney and about Johnson again and again. The strategy of bringing in youngsters who may develop into 1st team players is sound but we need more players ready to go now to bridge that 2 or 3 year gap. If Johnson is left to rely on some of these guys as starters all season then the discussion is coming sooner rather than later and that's a shame as I think we have a decent one with him.

First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I also don’t think it helps that the Blackburn manager was also seemingly on the running for the job. For some people I’ve no doubt it has made it look like we’ve gone for the “cheap” option.
    Except he was never in the running for the jobb.

@hibs.net private member

Yup. And that’s about all that’s been said. Not really seen anyone advocating sacking him etc. The talk about him having 16 days isn’t necessarily a dig at him, it’s more a dig at the recruitment team who if they don’t sign players in the positions required, and of the standard required, then LJ is on a hiding to nothing and like it or not, he will get sacked if we’re struggling. And that’s exactly what we’ll be doing if we don’t get in a quality centre mid and a quality centre half.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Because deep down, the fans care. Give me that over apathy any day of the week.

@hibs.net private member

I agree. Too many 'projects' being signed at the expense of a couple of centre halves and a midfield general that we clearly need.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Because deep down, the fans care. Give me that over apathy any day of the week.
    That and a lot of fans are thick.

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    I agree. Too many 'projects' being signed at the expense of a couple of centre halves and a midfield general that we clearly need.
    Agree with almost all of that has been said, however the thought of some midfield general waiting in the wings to join hibs is a bit of a long shot.
    He’s called john mcginn.😜.
    These players are few and far between.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBS NUTS View Post
    Agree with almost all of that has been said, however the thought of some midfield general waiting in the wings to join hibs is a bit of a long shot.
    They are difficult to find, but even since McGinn left, we’ve signed Docherty who is exactly what we need now, Magennis, who when fit is exactly what we need now and Allan, who when he signed, is exactly what we need now. That’s 3 different players who would have been a huge improvement to this team in 4 years, so it’s not an impossible task.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBS NUTS View Post
    It doesn't need to be another SJM. There are a lot of players out there who's talent level is somewhere between SJM and the likes of Henderson, Campbell and Doyle-Hayes.

After we got rid of JR ( a decision I supported but thought should have been made in summer 2021 to let new manager time to settle in as LJ has ) I thought club policy was to promote devt team , signing young players with promise etc even if results were not great . I support that policy though as I said a few weeks ago here it`ll mean a bumpy road in next 2 or 3 years , bumpy maybe including a relegation in worst case . But to follow that plan , managers have to be given time . To me Maloney should have been given time . He was the first manager under the new plan and also had a terrible injury list . I think if he`d stayed , we`d probably be in a better state than now as he`d already started planning this season and we wouldn`t have wasted much - needed money on pay offs , new manager etc Anyway , for whatever reason club decided to make a change and we have to give LJ time to make a difference while remembering that our plan is looking for consistent success every year from 2 or 3 years`time not the odd 3rd place followed by dropping back to bottom six or worse ( like Hearts with 2 relegations within a few years ) . Fans of all clubs are not known for having patience and our fans are no different but club can`t make plans then not stick them out whatever some fans are saying . As for recruitment , all the folk who were celebrating return of Boyle last week were presumably doing so while accepting that it would limit signings in other positions ? The left sided defender from Uruguay in a position we need someone and with a potentially huge sell on value for example . Again , did club think Boyle signing was in long term interests or were they putting short term popularity with fans before long term develop young players plan ?

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Don’t think anyone is seriously suggesting he should be sacked, but he’s not exactly got off to a flying start. Yes it’s early days but a lot of the same failings we saw under Maloney are still present and if we don’t address the glaring gaps in our squad he could well come under pressure, especially when you consider we were knocked out of one of the only two competitions we have a chance of winning before it even exited the group stage.

I keep reading that as fans we are impatient and have unrealistic expectations, but all we are doing is mirroring those of our owner……

@hibs.net private member
    I don't think people are suggest LJ should be sacked. I think some people are suggesting that he'll struggle to meet expectations unless we sign some proven players in vital positions.

Promising Youngster
    He might not have been the sexy appointment we wanted but he needs to be given time. We can’t keep ripping it up after a couple of bad results

He's already signed 2 strikers. On top of the three we already had that cost us nearly 1 million combined. He has to get more, much more, from the forwards he has.

Midfield and defender needed but he's been evaluating our squad since April. He clearly doesn't think we need them. Or the club are ****ing him over.

Like any business, ignore your customers at your pearl, not saying you pander to their every whim, but at least acknowledge their concerns.

The stadium upgrades are brilliant but the product on the pitch is what drives the punters, better get with the program.