hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Allan

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Scott Allan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62543432

Written an article for the BBC. Still actively looking for a club but worried people aren't taking a chance because of his heart condition.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Think it'll almost definitely be why clubs aren't taking a chance on him and why he didn't get a run of games for us last season.

Just mentioned him on the transfers thread, could do with a player like him who can create something out of nothing. From reading that article it sounds like he’s on top of the health issues that kept him out for a while. Whatever club takes a chance on him will be getting a very good football player. Best of luck to him, one of my absolute favourite ever Hibs players.

I know he has nothing to do with us now but it would be a good gesture if he was allowed to use the training facilities.

Considering That eriksson has make a massive comeback after this heartattack there should be no reason why clubs are tentative. He has the ability to change the game.

Massive drop down but can see him ending up at OG Broomhill.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know he has nothing to do with us now but it would be a good gesture if he was allowed to use the training facilities.

Considering That eriksson has make a massive comeback after this heartattack there should be no reason why clubs are tentative. He has the ability to change the game.
    I'm not a doctor but I would imagine no two cases are the same.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I’d take a half fit Allan over Joe Newell every weekend

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Then we would be in an even worse state in midfield than we are now

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post

Agree with this. Would be good if the club helped him out and kept him fit.

Me, I would have him back in the club in a heartbeat but that's not going to happen.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    He has a serious health issue, we helped him through that, multiple managers didn't play him, he currently can't find anyone willing to "risk" taking him on, yet the experts here think he would be better than what we have....

I loved watching him play for us but multiple times last season it was clear he was not capable at this level any more. I hope he can find a club at a lower level or stay in football some other way, good luck to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldot1981 View Post
    Then we would be in an even worse state in midfield than we are now
    I don't know, sadly most likely.

Was a good article (OP link).

Just been watching the 2019/2020 goals and assists video.

Scott seemed at times to have a sixth sense and his awareness especially re Boyler was amazing.

Wish him all the best.

First Team Breakthrough
    Personally I would give him a 6 month deal and play him as long as he can in the development team and then use him as a sub in some games, but really depends on what fatigue he has

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I would take Long John Silver over Newall.

(Obviously I wouldn't but he started it.)

Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    Personally I would give him a 6 month deal and play him as long as he can in the development team and then use him as a sub in some games, but really depends on what fatigue he has
    Scott Allan in his prime was outstanding to watch and gave me so many super memories but them aside there is no place for sentiment for me so it’s a no to him returning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    I wonder what the insurance quote would be for a club to sign Scott, substantial probably.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    He has a serious health issue, we helped him through that, multiple managers didn't play him, he currently can't find anyone willing to "risk" taking him on, yet the experts here think he would be better than what we have....

I loved watching him play for us but multiple times last season it was clear he was not capable at this level any more. I hope he can find a club at a lower level or stay in football some other way, good luck to him!
    Did he not have an incredibly good output last season in terms of goal involvements for minutes on the pitch?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Did he not have an incredibly good output last season in terms of goal involvements for minutes on the pitch?
    He played in 17 games, 506 minutes, 3 assists. I have no idea if that is good or not, but his last assist was November 2021, and since that game he only managed more than 45 minutes once.

Jack Ross gave him a fair amount of game time, Shaun Maloney and David Gray twice did not seem to think it was worth playing him.

@hibs.net private member
    I think the championship would be perfect for him. The intensity of the games is the biggest difference between the premiership and championship . Unfortunately I think he's the sort of player that needs a run of games to hit top form so a season broken up by being injured/ on the bench is never going to get the best out of him. I think you need to stick him in the team, knowing that he'll take a few weeks to get going but once he is at top form , he'll be the best player in the division by a distance.

@hibs.net private member
    He played in 17 games, 506 minutes, 3 assists. I have no idea if that is good or not, but his last assist was November 2021, and since that game he only managed more than 45 minutes once.

Jack Ross gave him a fair amount of game time, Shaun Maloney and David Gray twice did not seem to think it was worth playing him.
    Joe Newell had 3 assists and 1 goal in all competitions last season over 3102 minutes on the pitch. A goal involvement every 775 mins.

Allan had 5 assists and 1 goal in all competitions over 688 minutes on the pitch. A goal involvement every 114 mins.

Henderson had 1 assist and 1 goal in all competitions over 1097 minutes on the pitch. A goal involvement every 549 mins.

JDH had 2 goals in all competitions over 3539 minutes on the pitch. A goal involvement every 1769 minutes.

They all played in the exact same team under the exact same managers. Obviously they’re different types of players (although Henderson is pretty similar style wise), but Allan’s output attacking wise, whilst limited in terms of sample size, was probably one of the highest in the country, never mind just at Hibs. Yet we’re sitting here with players who offer next to nothing going forward flooding our midfield and wondering why we’re struggling.

Allan had a tremendous output last season for the amount of minutes he got and we were absolutely crying out for someone like him. We still are.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 15-08-2022 at 10:25 AM.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

He got 5 assists and 1 goal. This made him our most productive attacking player in the squad after Boyle left and Nisbet got injured.

His time was clearly going to be up at the end of the season, but Maloney's refusal to give him adequate game time in the second half of last season when we had zero creative threat from the rest of our midfielders was what contributed to him getting sacked.

Gamer IDs

Joe Newell had 3 assists and 1 goal in all competitions last season over 3102 minutes on the pitch. A goal involvement every 775 mins.

Allan had 5 assists and 1 goal in all competitions over 688 minutes on the pitch. A goal involvement every 114 mins.

Henderson had 1 assist and 1 goal in all competitions over 1097 minutes on the pitch. A goal involvement every 549 mins.

JDH had 2 goals in all competitions over 3539 minutes on the pitch. A goal involvement every 1769 minutes.

Allan had a tremendous output last season for the amount of minutes he got and we were absolutely crying out for someone like him. We still are.
    It's not all about goal involvements though, if that was the case he would play, but there's so much more he has to be capable of playing in midfield especially. You'd need to ask the managers why they didn't risk playing him, if like you say his stats being so much better make it a no brainer.

@hibs.net private member
    It's not all about goal involvements though, if that was the case he would play, but there's so much more he has to be capable of playing in midfield especially. You'd need to ask the managers why they didn't risk playing him, if like you say his stats being so much better make it a no brainer.
    It’s not all about goal involvements. But it’s also not all about defensive involvement, yet we’ve stuck by JDH and Newell who offer some form of defensive ability and no attacking ability.

There needs to be a balance. Someone like Allan should have been and should still be that balance if we’re going to persist with playing all these midfielders who offer nothing going forward.

Instead we’ve binned him, signed Henderson who’s offered nothing much at all throughout his career so far and signed another defensive midfielder who will do nothing to rectify our issues going forward.

Allan should have got a hell of a lot more game time last season and he should really still be here imo.

When the team goes goalless in 7 out of 9 games then goal involvements start to become a bit more important though.

Maloney being an absolutely shocking manager is one possible explanation.

The other was the rumour that Allan was due a large bonus if he played a certain amount of games. If that was true then ultimately given our slide down the league it probably cost more money than it saved.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    When the team goes goalless in 7 out of 9 games then goal involvements start to become a bit more important though.

Maloney being an absolutely shocking manager is one possible explanation.

The other was the rumour that Allan was due a large bonus if he played a certain amount of games. If that was true then ultimately given our slide down the league it probably cost more money than it saved.
    So basically we don't know. The fact he can't find a club is maybe telling us something too.

I don't really see the point in arguing about if he should have played last season or not, the managers we had chose not to play him. I don't disagree that we would have been as well playing him at some point just to see what happened and give him a chance since we were terrible anyway. But we don't see him in training, or know about how it's best to manage his medical issue.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    3 Hibs managers didn’t select Scotty last season. A fourth released him in the summer. No club has signed him, not even the likes of Dundee or ICT (who had him recently). I think that tells you all you need to know.

So basically we don't know. The fact he can't find a club is maybe telling us something too.

I don't really see the point in arguing about if he should have played last season or not, the managers we had chose not to play him. I don't disagree that we would have been as well playing him at some point just to see what happened and give him a chance since we were terrible anyway. But we don't see him in training, or know about how it's best to manage his medical issue.
    Of course we dont know 100%. But you asked the question so I answered it. The only possible 3rd explanation is that he couldnt still cut it in the Premiership. His highlights reel for the first half of the season disproves that theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    3 Hibs managers didn’t select Scotty last season. A fourth released him in the summer. No club has signed him, not even the likes of Dundee or ICT (who had him recently). I think that tells you all you need to know.
    An often repeated myth that 3 managers didnt pick him. Jack Ross used him frequently.

As for teams not being willing to give him a contract - i think the main thing it tells us is that clubs are understandably wary of commiting to signing a player for a long period of time that has a heart condition.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Of course we dont know 100%. But you asked the question so I answered it. The only possible 3rd explanation is that he couldnt still cut it in the Premiership. His highlights reel for the first half of the season disproves that theory.

An often repeated myth that 3 managers didnt pick him. Jack Ross used him frequently.

As for teams not being willing to give him a contract - i think the main thing it tells us is that clubs are understandably wary of commiting to signing a player for a long period of time that has a heart condition.
    Someone else mentioned the cost of player insurance being something that will put teams off as well, its a complicated situation and if he is still fit and able to play you'd hope the governing body or players union if that's a thing could help him out in some way.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    And all 3 of our managers last season failed, in no small part due to not having any attacking intent or creativity in their midfield. Our manager this season has got off to a poor start, again, in no small part due to a lack of attacking intent or creativity from his midfield.

That tells you a lot more imo.

And all 3 of our managers last season failed, in no small part due to not having any attacking intent or creativity in their midfield. Our manager this season has got off to a poor start, again, in no small part due to a lack of attacking intent or creativity from his midfield.

That tells you a lot more imo.
    It doesn't tell you that Scott Allan is the answer.

I’m surprised he hasn’t found a team but then neither has Dylan McGeouch. So it seems a bit premature to blame it on his health problems.