hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stale

Hybrid View

Stale

The season looks stale already, it looks like we'll be relying on Boyle, Marshall and Cadden to be the difference.

How can it be stale if its only just started? Still got players to return and others to fully integrate and get up to speed.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Most teams rely on their best players

What teams don't rely on their best players?

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The season looks stale already, it looks like we'll be relying on Boyle, Marshall and Cadden to be the difference.
    Does it now? Interesting.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    There is some amount of hand wringing on here after a defeat.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I say this not with any glee.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    One fortunate win, one fortunate draw and a predictable defeat.
    I would think that will be probably be the pattern for the season and with no cup football to look forward to till the new year it's no wonder the natives are restless.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    I would think that will be probably be the pattern for the season and with no cup football to look forward to till the new year it's no wonder the natives are restless.
    A deserved win and a deserved draw.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    A deserved win and a deserved draw.
    And a undeserved defeat, there goal came from a free kick that should of been a free kick to us imo

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    And a undeserved defeat, there goal came from a free kick that should of been a free kick to us imo
    AND an unlucky draw - don't forget the cheating Yams' goal was hand ball!

I totally disagree with the OP. Sure the LC exit was disappointing.

But on the brighter side, we have a few players yet to get into their stride who could potentialy provide some goals & excitement, a clutch of players to come back from injury who we would hope to be influential, a manager who is playing a noticeably more adventurous style AND the potential to make signings over the next couple of weeks.

And lets not forget - we have Martin Boyle back in the side - a move that not many of us saw happening only a few weeks ago.

Stale??? You've got to be joking - it's been a rollercoaster so far and I expect more highs - and lows. But hopefully much more of the former than the latter.

What makes the win and the draw fortunate? Because the goals came late on?

Or are we just twisting the narrative to make yesterdays result seem worse?

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    What makes the win and the draw fortunate? Because the goals came late on?

Or are we just twisting the narrative to make yesterdays result seem worse?
    It's absolutely twisting the narrative. There are never any references made to unfortunate draws or defeats.

Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    It's absolutely twisting the narrative. There are never any references made to unfortunate draws or defeats.
    No wonder i stay away from here for days after a defeat. Its not as if weve never struggled there. What chance has any manager with so much negativity. Should klopp go after two draws should ross and goodwin be binned now too. At least wait till the furst round of fixtures before making judgements. Its seems some people are never hapoy unless they are miserable. Imho of course.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Nothing fortunate about the win or the draw, this sort of stuff doesn’t help the conversation. We need to give credit where it’s due as much as we give criticism when it’s due.

If it’s down to late goals then the defeat was unfortunate - but it’s not, we got what we deserved on those three games.

@hibs.net private member
    Nothing fortunate about the win or the draw, this sort of stuff doesn’t help the conversation. We need to give credit where it’s due as much as we give criticism when it’s due.

If it’s down to late goals then the defeat was unfortunate - but it’s not, we got what we deserved on those three games.
    Livi scored quite late on Saturday - is that predictable or unfortunate?

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar

Fair enough Matty, maybe the wrong choice of words but the OP was about a flatness and lack of enthusiasm so early in the season .
    At the moment we have only 4 points from a possible 9 and no cup football to look forward to in the immediate future. The early signs are that this season is going to be another yet another mid table grind which certainly doesn't create much of a buzz for me.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Fair enough Matty, maybe the wrong choice of words but the OP was about a flatness and lack of enthusiasm so early in the season .
    At the moment we have only 4 points from a possible 9 and no cup football to look forward to in the immediate future. The early signs are that this season is going to be another yet another mid table grind which certainly doesn't create much of a buzz for me.
    I understand.

I’m excited by the team, we’ve seen some glimpses of the potential and my opinion is that we’ve a handful of players that are going to improve week on week, so we will have an exciting and entertaining second half of the season.

My expectations aren’t that high right now, there’s a lot of work to be done in the training field to get the team where it needs to be, but i am confident that we’ve got the people in place and the means to do it. I could be wrong, obviously, but for now I’m keeping my enthusiasm and looking forward to a promising season.

Coaching Staff
    Only after a defeat?

I agree but there isn’t really any obvious improvement from the Maloney days, which weren’t an obvious improvement from the Ross days. So I can understand folk’s frustration.

A fourth straight defeat to Livi merits flak. Folk are rightly questioning what that's all about.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    A fourth straight defeat to Livi merits flak. Folk are rightly questioning what that's all about.
    Also the fourth manager, so the managers arent even getting a chance to right the wrongs, it's an awful stat but the only way we will overcome it is by giving someone time to learn and adapt.

If we fire LJ then the next manager can also lose to Livi.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I know the first few posts disagree with you but I’m inclined to agree. So far does it look particularly different from last season?

Heavily reliant on Marshal and Boyle to drag us above mediocrity. The same glaring gaps in midfield and also centreback remain. Still relying on the likes of Doidge, Newel, JDH, Campbell & Melkerson but expecting a different outcome, and a collection of young players with potential but questionable what they can offer in the short term.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I know the first few posts disagree with you but I’m inclined to agree. So far does it look particularly different from last season?

Heavily reliant on Marshal and Boyle to drag us above mediocrity. The same glaring gaps in midfield and also centreback remain. Still relying on the likes of Doidge, Newel, JDH, Campbell & Melkerson but expecting a different outcome, and a collection of young players with potential but questionable what they can offer in the short term.
    thats my view too.

@hibs.net private member
    Is stale really the word you genuinely wanted to use? I’d be interested to hear you elaborate further to give us an idea of your thoughts?

@hibs.net private member
    Hard to argue that to some extent it already is stale. There’s a full cup competition to be completed before the next one comes round. We’re already knocked out. From looking at our performances so far, Europe is nothing but a pipe dream.

Out of the competitions that are currently underway, we’re either knocked out already or the general feeling is that we’ll finish mid table or lower in the league. That’s pretty stale to me.

Stale? There were wild scenes of celebration after our first 2 games.

I think there was plenty evidence in both our last 2 games that we are a much better side with Martin Boyle and really we should have won the game yesterday.

Having fans giving up after 3 games says more about the fans than the team to be honest. I've already seen numb skulls on social media calling for LJ's head and new players have been written off after 1 or 2 fleeting appearances.

As usual the "answer" in the eyes of such "fans" will be get rid of everyone and then if that does happen the new people will get about 3 weeks to transform the team and the cycle of discontent will repeat.

We are a strong centre half and quality centre mid away from being a decent side imo.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    We are a strong centre half and quality centre mid away from being a decent side imo.
    We are (though I'd argue something new is needed up front too). Unfortunately unless we actually sign such players that distance away is pretty enormous.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    As we've needed for a few windows now and nothing ever gets done for those positions.

Out the league cup and our performances have been very poor in the 3 league games so far (one last minute winner against team that'll be bottom 2).

It's early enough for it to improve, but early signs are it's all a bit the same. Poor quality and boring to watch.