hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

Next 6 games will tell us a lot

mixed bag of a start to the season and the buzz from several late goals has probably masked a number of flaws but I do get the sense that Hibs are starting to build something.

next six games before we go to Celtic Park in mid October seem favourable on paper: St Mirren a, Killie h, United a, Aberdeen h, Ross County a, Motherwell h. By the end of them we will have a fair idea of how much has changed since the drudgery of last season.

great chance to push up the league table and a couple of great away trips in there too. Looking forward to it

2. Log in to remove the advert

Need to get a win on Saturday then we, IMO, can be reasonably happy with our start.

One of the best things to come out of the weekend was Johnson saying he wasn’t happy with it. I don’t think we’ve been lucky with the late goals or anything like that. And it’s certainly a good thing that we’re getting them. But we need to be getting ourselves in to a position where we’re not relying on them. St Mirren the type of game we need to win if we want to push up the league as the season goes on.

A bit of perspective re our results in our first 4 games.

We had a tough fixture list to kick of the league season and we have played two of the top three from last season and not been defeated, we lost to a team that finished above us and beat one that finished below us. That represents a degree of progress not regression. Now we are in to a sequence of matches where our expe tions should be higher.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I noticed a couple of things about this years fixture list, because of the world cup I will be able to watch Hibs on my birthday for the first time in years. Usually it is international break and the best I get is Scotland getting humped (less so recently admittedly) but this year I get to watch Hibs at home to Motherwell, fair looking forward to it. We also have a bit of a nightmare December just the 3 matches but they are Huns away, Livvy and Celtc at Easter Road. Just hoping we are up to speed by then!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member
    Getting ahead of ourselves here. It's normally the next 3 game thread.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Getting ahead of ourselves here. It's normally the next 3 game thread.

5 from 4 isn't the worst return, considering we've played two of last seasons top 3. A point or more versus livi and we'd be much happier imo

Taking it one game at a time, I'm hoping that the new team start to gel. We're already seeing youan and Boyle linking we'll and tbh probably couldn't feel any safer at the back with Marshall so if we can get the right blend in centre mid then we'll hopefully end these six games with a minimum of 14 points

Left by mutual consent!
    Saturday's point was a good one to pick up. Next two are must wins for me if we want to achieve top four at the end of the season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Need to get a win on Saturday then we, IMO, can be reasonably happy with our start.

One of the best things to come out of the weekend was Johnson saying he wasn’t happy with it. I don’t think we’ve been lucky with the late goals or anything like that. And it’s certainly a good thing that we’re getting them. But we need to be getting ourselves in to a position where we’re not relying on them. St Mirren the type of game we need to win if we want to push up the league as the season goes on.
    Yeah I’d agree.

I dont think 5 from 4 is anything to write home about. Not a disaster but not great. I think a win on Saturday and you can probably start to say it’s been a good start to the league.

We're 1 point better off this season compared with the same fixtures last season, the only difference being a draw at home to Rangers which we lost last season.

We drew in our first away match v St Mirren last season so this Saturday is another opportunity to improve on last year.

I'm reluctant to look much further ahead than just the one game but we really should be looking to put a few points on the board over the next few weeks.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    mixed bag of a start to the season and the buzz from several late goals has probably masked a number of flaws but I do get the sense that Hibs are starting to build something.

next six games before we go to Celtic Park in mid October seem favourable on paper: St Mirren a, Killie h, United a, Aberdeen h, Ross County a, Motherwell h. By the end of them we will have a fair idea of how much has changed since the drudgery of last season.

great chance to push up the league table and a couple of great away trips in there too. Looking forward to it
    Let's just have The Next Game thread

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Todays game has told us nothing we didn’t know already.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    Let's just have The Next Game thread
    indeed. I clearly overestimated us in thinking this game and the other five “look favourable”.

all these years as a Hibs fan and I just never learn

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    A bit of perspective re our results in our first 4 games.

We had a tough fixture list to kick of the league season and we have played two of the top three from last season and not been defeated, we lost to a team that finished above us and beat one that finished below us. That represents a degree of progress not regression. Now we are in to a sequence of matches where our expe tions should be higher.
    Would beating a team that finished above us not represent progress? Drawing against 9 man Rangers, whilst nice under the circumstances, was hardly a big achievement. Nothing from our opening set of results show any progress and neither do our performances.

The next six opponents will be rubbing their hands together on the prospect of facing our imposters

Especially jack Ross. Absolute NAP 3 points for United when we meet.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    The next six opponents will be rubbing their hands together on the prospect of facing our imposters

Surely we can’t get beat from United they are utter jack dross , then maybe we are just worse. I’m really losing hope watching same old same old ****.

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    Surely we can’t get beat from United they are utter jack dross , then maybe we are just worse. I’m really losing hope watching same old same old ****.
    Hibs are the most giving club going

Seen on Twitter this week from hibs retro or one Twitter page saying we’ve not been beat at st mirren in x, knew straight away that we were getting beat Saturday. We always helps clubs needing a win etc.

Nothing more certain than a jack Ross 1-0 win over ex club hibs, and probably Fletcher will score too lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    We're 1 point better off this season compared with the same fixtures last season, the only difference being a draw at home to Rangers which we lost last season.

We drew in our first away match v St Mirren last season so this Saturday is another opportunity to improve on last year.

I'm reluctant to look much further ahead than just the one game but we really should be looking to put a few points on the board over the next few weeks.
    Now on the same number of points as we picked up in the same fixtures last season.

Goes without saying that next week is in the must win category.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post

How ironic that we’ll actually keep Jack Ross in a job!🤔

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    We’re not out of August but already looking at 6 game permutations.

When you’re battling it out in the top 3 or 4 it’s one game at time,
    but when you’re grasping at straws looking at the longer game you know your in a fight at the wrong end of the table.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Why do you need 6 games , everyone knows what's required . The spine of this team has been missing for years . We have signed a few players that look promising nothing more than that .
    We still need centre back ,centre mid and centre forward.
    We need them now . Hibs are in a bad way ,todays team was a through back to all that is wrong at hibs .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    The next 5 games will simply be confirmation we’re in a relegation battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    The next 5 games will simply be confirmation we’re in a relegation battle.
    I don’t think they will. We will be comfortably safe from relegation

@hibs.net private member
    What makes you think that. We’ve been
    Beat by Falkirk Morton Livi st Mirren …what gives you belief we won’t be involved in a relegation battle ?

@hibs.net private member
    I just don’t see any way this team won’t be.

This team has absolutely nothing to it.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    I just don’t see any way this team won’t be.

This team has absolutely nothing to it.
    Don’t think you tend to see anything which isn’t negative when it comes to Hibs. Give the club a chance man.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    Don’t think you tend to see anything which isn’t negative when it comes to Hibs. Give the club a chance man.
    If there was anything positive to see just now I’d see it.

Who’s not giving the club a chance? I’ve renewed my season ticket. I’ve been to games, I’ve supported the team at games. Me predicting on a forum that we will be in a relegation battle makes absolutely no odds to how the club will do. I don’t have to sit here on a forum biting my tongue or lying about what I think about our current situation which has been ongoing for what feels like an eternity under the guise of ‘giving the club a chance’.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 28-08-2022 at 09:50 AM.

I hope you're right but I'm not sure what is giving you such confidence.

35 points from 36 league games may keep us up if that points per game ratio continues for the rest of this season but it certainly wouldn't put us comfortably safe from relegation.

We would be heading for a 9th or 10th placed finish with that sort of form.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    United will beat us. A scrappy crappy 1-0 win. Put your ****ing mortgage on it.

Fletcher to score.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    What makes you think that. We’ve been
    Beat by Falkirk Morton Livi st Mirren …what gives you belief we won’t be involved in a relegation battle ?
    after yesterday I have virtually zero belief or confidence in Hibs.

I just happen to think there’s at least two teams in this league who are even worse.