hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Midfield

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It didn't have me buzzing.
    What were these games?
    He gets better each week he doesn't play.
    It's not his fault 're injuries but we signed him from St Mirren and he wasn't fit when he arrived at Easter Road.
    I quite liked the ones where he was getting into the box with late runs and scoring like we've not seen in a midfielder since Pat McGinlay, leading us to a position where we looked set to go top of the league at Ibrox late that September before fate sort of got in the way.

The Magennis of the previous season - a bit underwhelming.

The Magennis who started last season on fire - would be welcome to come back and get into the side any time he likes.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    What were these games?
    It's not his fault 're injuries but we signed him from St Mirren and he wasn't fit when he arrived at Easter Road.
    Did you not pay any attention at the start of last season? Scored at a rate of 1 in 3 games and was a key part of our very good form. If you weren’t buzzing when we were sat top of the league or near enough to it then there’s no hope for you.

That’s not to say he’s been a good signing, he’s been miles away from that. He was very good last season before injury though.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...hs-out-3808375

An article saying well give an update about Magennis soon.

Seems odd, unless it’s just as much as he’s now back on grass and playing in training etc that we’ll see in photos.

Could make a huge difference for us, especially if he can keep himself fit.

What were these games?
    We were flying last season until the Porto red card at Ibrox

Magennis, Boyle and Nisbet were linking really well and some of the football was fantastic. Maybe not everyone, but a large section of the support felt we'd picked up where we left off the season before and Magennis had supplemented the starting 1! Well. Unfortunately his season ended soon after

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    What were these games?
    Nothing about Hibs has you buzzing

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Yes, it's baffling that Tait and Delferriere are not getting a chance when our midfield is so poor. Talking about development, can you imagine how good their development would be if they were coming on at a buzzing Easter Road to replace a Mcgeouch, McGinn, Bartley, Allan, Fyvie etc in the 60th minute. Instead, we're hoping and praying that they'll be better than Newell, Campbell, JDH etc.
    Delferriere is on loan at City Edinburgh.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Did you not pay any attention at the start of last season? Scored at a rate of 1 in 3 games and was a key part of our very good form. If you weren’t buzzing when we were sat top of the league or near enough to it then there’s no hope for you.

That’s not to say he’s been a good signing, he’s been miles away from that. He was very good last season before injury though.
    I know there's no hope for me but for how long did he sustain 1 in 3.
    Are you talking 2 in 6 or 10 in 30.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Not in recent times sadly other than the league cup semi first half.
    What about yourself?
    The trouble is that our standards are now so low that any slight crumb of comfort is completely exaggerated.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    What about yourself?
    The trouble is that our standards are now so low that any slight crumb of comfort is completely exaggerated.
    A last minute goal against Hearts generally gets me buzzing

Wonder if we would see any benefits in bringing Bartley in as a coach

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    I’ve noticed that for a few weeks now. Someone at the club must have seriously pished in his cornflakes.

Midfield ? Is that where players are ( should be)
    between defending and attacking ?

So, six days on from the display against the The Rangers what's everyone's view on the midfield and whether it needs to be strengthened.

I think we'll all agree that the midfield trio of Newell, Campbell and JDH demonstrated against the The Rangers that they are individually good players. However, we've seen it before, them playing well against the better teams when the main requirements are to break up the opposition play and frustrate. They are less effective when we dominate the ball, as was evident against the The Rangers' nine men until Campbell's fantastic shot.

Are we going to see an addition in midfield, possible two, or is it a waiting game until Magennis returns?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    So, six days on from the display against the The Rangers what's everyone's view on the midfield and whether it needs to be strengthened.

I think we'll all agree that the midfield trio of Newell, Campbell and JDH demonstrated against the The Rangers that they are individually good players. However, we've seen it before, them playing well against the better teams when the main requirements are to break up the opposition play and frustrate. They are less effective when we dominate the ball, as was evident against the The Rangers' nine men until Campbell's fantastic shot.

Are we going to see an addition in midfield, possible two, or is it a waiting game until Magennis returns?

I think thats exactly why we struggle, none of those three have the ability to drive forward and create space for others by dragging players out from the back.

This is one of the reasons we dont create much in open play against the supposed weaker sides.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

I hope the performance against Rangers, bare in mind Johnson wasn’t happy with the first 45 mins - I only saw the second half so can’t comment, would be folly to change our thinking on the needs of the midfield. It was only the previous game we were terrible first half against Livingston. It’s a midfield with a low glass ceiling, can compete in the bigger games at home where less onus on us to dictate possession and play on the counter attack. There shortcomings are seen more often when we are the team that needs to proactively try and win the game.

If we decide to stick with what we’ve got we’ll simply see more of the same. Won’t score enough goals, won’t get enough players in the box, will still turn in regular off days. It would be too much for Marshall & Boyle to carry us to competing for 3rd.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 26-08-2022 at 09:14 AM.

I think a midfielder is still an absolute must.

At 11v11 against Rangers I still thought we struggled for large parts in that area. Work rate and the off the ball stuff wasn’t a problem but in the first 45 we did absolutely nothing with the ball.

Campbell obviously showed some quality second half and hopefully he can continue that. Henderson has been a disappointment in the first four league games after a promising pre season and League Cup.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I hope the performance against Rangers, bare in mind Johnson wasn’t happy with the first 45 mins - I only saw the second half so can’t comment, would be folly to change our thinking on the needs of the midfield. It was only the previous game we were terrible first half against Livingston. It’s a midfield with a low glass ceiling, can compete in the bigger games at home where less onus on us to dictate possession and play on the counter attack. There shortcomings are seen more often when we are the team that needs to proactively try and win the game.

If we decide to stick with what we’ve got we’ll simply see more of the same. Won’t score enough goals, won’t get enough players in the box, will still turn in regular off days. It would be too much for Marshall & Boyd to carry us to competing for 3rd.

We restricted them to very little in the first half but offered nothing ourselves. Midfield still the major area of concern for me. Up front we look better but we aren’t providing much for our forwards to work with.

If Magennis will make that much of a difference, then we absolutely need an addition in midfield with his skill set so that we have some depth.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    If Magennis will make that much of a difference, then we absolutely need an addition in midfield with his skill set so that we have some depth.
    We should not be counting on Magennis. Go out and get a quality midfielder and if Magennis does happen to come back and play very well then we’re in a great position in midfield. If he doesn’t, we’ll still be alright.

Relying on Magennis really just leaves us praying he comes back and plays well or else we’ll be struggling in there.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I think a midfielder is still an absolute must.

At 11v11 against Rangers I still thought we struggled for large parts in that area. Work rate and the off the ball stuff wasn’t a problem but in the first 45 we did absolutely nothing with the ball.

Campbell obviously showed some quality second half and hopefully he can continue that. Henderson has been a disappointment in the first four league games after a promising pre season and League Cup.
    Yup. We have guys that can press but we’re not really equipped to break the press in the middle of the park. It looks like we need an upgrade on Henderson but it’s hard to find these kind of players on the budget we have. When fit, McGeady could maybe play the 10 role but does he have the energy and stamina?

What about yourself?
    This always makes me laugh "our standards are now so low" as if we've generally been at a much higher level! Where have you been these past 40 years?

If being 3-1 up v Rangers in 45 minutes is all that'll get you going you are 100 percent going to struggle to deal with being a Hibs fan much longer.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    This always makes me laugh "our standards are now so low" as if we've generally been at a much higher level! Where have you been these past 40 years?

If being 3-1 up v Rangers in 45 minutes is all that'll get you going you are 100 percent going to struggle to deal with being a Hibs fan much longer.
    I'm really talking about certain season's in the last few years.
    Some of the periods under Mowbray and Lennon were exciting but in recent times it's been pretty boring.
    Roll on tomorrow in Paisley.

First Team Regular Basildon Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    We restricted them to very little in the first half but offered nothing ourselves. Midfield still the major area of concern for me. Up front we look better but we aren’t providing much for our forwards to work with.
    Correct.

OP now updated with the latest new threads relating to our midfield.

Not wanting to repeat debates that are on-going on the other threads, but how frustrating it is to see what many agree to be the key problem area in our team not being improved. If this isn't reinforced by the time the window slams shut then it's going to be a long hard season for us Hibees.

OP now updated with the latest new threads relating to our midfield.

Not wanting to repeat debates that are on-going on the other threads, but how frustrating it is to see what many agree to be the key problem area in our team not being improved. If this isn't reinforced by the time the window slams shut then it's going to be a long hard season for us Hibees.
    Same issue as it has been for years... we need a Marvin Barley/Matty Jack type figure in there. Someone who does the dirty work to allow the flair players to play. Gogic was this man for half a season then his form nosedived. Jury out on Kenneh but JDH ain't up to standard and Henderson has the strength of a kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post
    Same issue as it has been for years... we need a Marvin Barley/Matty Jack type figure in there. Someone who does the dirty work to allow the flair players to play. Gogic was this man for half a season then his form nosedived. Jury out on Kenneh but JDH ain't up to standard and Henderson has the strength of a kitten.
    See it the opposite way. They all get about the pitch, tackle and work hard.

But we have zero creativity in there. We need someone who is going to get the ball in to the likes of Boyle quickly.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post
    Other way round for me.

We’ve got a midfield full of players who can at least do the unglamorous job semi competently.

We need quality flair players in there or else it’ll be another season of the 3 of them in there just plodding along unable to do much of note near enough every week.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Did Graeme Shinnie find a club?

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    Did Graeme Shinnie find a club?
    He's been playing for Wigan

Will be interesting to see if there are any new reinforcements in midfield.

The lack of rumours in the midfield area makes me think that there will be none and it'll be Newell, JDH, Campbell, Kenneh and Henderson that will be our key players in midfield until Magennis returns from injury.