hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Midfield

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tait will be 21 soon, he signed for us a year ago and has played just 13 minutes of football for our first team so far and that was when we were 5-0 up v Clyde.

I think if players are getting into their 20s and not even looking like breaking into the first team the writing is probably on the wall.

We need to give them the chance though no?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire View Post
    Really hope we sign a good quality attacking midfielder and get Kyle back playing too what a difference he would make imo!
    I'd love to see Magennis back soon but it's looking more unlikely with every passing day unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    We need to give them the chance though no?
    You have to assume that Johnson is seeing Tait in training every day and just doesn't believe that he's good enough to replace any of our current midfield which really doesn't say much for his prospects at all.

I think Tait is as good as down at Hibs tbh. I know at least one 1st team player is mystified that he isn't even getting into the squad.

The fact he isn't even getting a strip and there are guys younger than him starting games (and struggling a wee bit) and the fact midfield is our biggest issue suggests there is an issue. Be that a personality clash or him not showing up in training, it doesn't really matter. He isn't going to be the answer in midfield anytime soon.

I agree with the people saying any loan won't really be about development. We know he can cut it at Championship level. He's played not a kick in the arse of 100 games in League One and the Championship. If he isn't competing for a start here now then another 25 games at a lower level isn't going to change that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think Tait is as good as down at Hibs tbh. I know at least one 1st team player is mystified that he isn't even getting into the squad.

The fact he isn't even getting a strip and there are guys younger than him starting games (and struggling a wee bit) and the fact midfield is our biggest issue suggests there is an issue. Be that a personality clash or him not showing up in training, it doesn't really matter. He isn't going to be the answer in midfield anytime soon.

I agree with the people saying any loan won't really be about development. We know he can cut it at Championship level. He's played not a kick in the arse of 100 games in League One and the Championship. If he isn't competing for a start here now then another 25 games at a lower level isn't going to change that.
    Yes, it's baffling that Tait and Delferriere are not getting a chance when our midfield is so poor. Talking about development, can you imagine how good their development would be if they were coming on at a buzzing Easter Road to replace a Mcgeouch, McGinn, Bartley, Allan, Fyvie etc in the 60th minute. Instead, we're hoping and praying that they'll be better than Newell, Campbell, JDH etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Gutted I only started one of those.
    Problem won’t be fixed while Joe Newall remains in the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You should read the thread, some cracking statements in there. Lots of "Joe Newell is quality" comments.

I've said before on many times that Joe Newell is a good footballer and will impress in a good team, but he's not good enough. Yesterday, it was painfully obvious how many times he slowed up play. We need better, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    You should read the thread, some cracking statements in there. Lots of "Joe Newell is quality" comments.

I've said before on many times that Joe Newell is a good footballer and will impress in a good team, but he's not good enough. Yesterday, it was painfully obvious how many times he slowed up play. We need better, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    I’ve read alot on here that Newell would be quality in a quality team.

That doesn’t make you a good player imo. It makes you a player that needs carried by actual good players because you can’t do it when you’re not surrounded by them.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 14-08-2022 at 06:46 AM.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Drop Joe Newell, humour me

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    The problem we have just now is we have no midfielder in the squad who is better than newell, who is going to come in and improve us? JDH isnt an upgrade, campbell isnt an upgrade, we have no idea if tait is as he doesnt get a game so he will keep playing until better comes in

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldot1981 View Post
    The problem we have just now is we have no midfielder in the squad who is better than newell, who is going to come in and improve us? JDH isnt an upgrade, campbell isnt an upgrade, we have no idea if tait is as he doesnt get a game so he will keep playing until better comes in
    Whilst JDH may not be an upgrade either, he’s at least different. Newell isn’t good enough and it’s also not working. He simply cannot keep playing.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Until Hibs actually address the midfield properly, which somehow they have neglected to do for 3 or 4 years, it’s not very appealing giving up an afternoon of my weekend to go to the game.

Despite spending a lot of money Hibs’ answer to the midfield problems the last 3 windows has been JDH, Henderson & Kenneh. Signing the likes of Marshall and Boyle will do more to mitigate and carry the midfield than the actual midfields we have signed!

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Whilst JDH may not be an upgrade either, he’s at least different. Newell isn’t good enough and it’s also not working. He simply cannot keep playing.
    Different yip but just as poor imo, just mental that our midfield wasnt great last season and still as poor now

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldot1981 View Post
    Different yip but just as poor imo, just mental that our midfield wasnt great last season and still as poor now
    Agree. Absolutely ridiculous that we haven’t improved it.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire View Post
    Really hope we sign a good quality attacking midfielder and get Kyle back playing too what a difference he would make imo!
    Yes, we can only dream.

Agree. Absolutely ridiculous that we haven’t improved it.
    I really don’t understand it. It’s cost the last three managers their jobs and then Johnson comes in and thinks he’s special and that he will get them playing. He is deluding himself.
    He is gambling his job on getting Magennis fit. I wouldn’t put 50p on that.
    We just have to hope he comes to his senses in the next two weeks or we’ll have to hope the new manager sorts it in January.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    This is my 18th season supporting Hibs and we've had a non-***** midfield for about four of those seasons. We'll maybe have a decent one again near the end of the decade, until then deal.

Big doubts re Henderson. Clearly has decent ability but posted missing all too often and rarely impacts games.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    Big doubts re Henderson. Clearly has decent ability but posted missing all too often and rarely impacts games.
    There’s a reason he had little impact at Dunfermline and Ross County.

He’s not good enough from what we’ve seen since January imo.

@hibs.net private member
    Seriously needs a PT and a good few protein shakes. A gust of wind would knock him off the ball.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    There’s a reason he had little impact at Dunfermline and Ross County.

He’s not good enough from what we’ve seen since January imo.

Few people were getting far too carried away about him after a couple of goals against Bonnyrigg and Morton.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Tait was a standout at Raith in the Championship so no point loaning him at that level again,he has honestly been a standout in the games he's played this season as well.

He 100% needs a few games in the first team to show what he can do. Surely can't be any worse than Henderson has been past two games. If not I actually agree, we should let him go for his own development.
    This 👌👍✔️

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    It’s so depressing and predictable. I thought with Campbell getting injured last week surely they will add another central midfielder

Nope..

They have 2 weeks to fix it

A centre back on left side and a central midfielder or 2.

Over to you LJ and Hibs - prove me wrong and sort the massive hole in the middle of our team.
    Reports saying Campbell will be in squad to face Rangers

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Honestly, as soon as Stevenson is fit I would put him back in midfield. That performance in the hell game at Hampden against the Hertz was as good as he's ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    The number 9 is similar to Doidge in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I really don’t understand it. It’s cost the last three managers their jobs and then Johnson comes in and thinks he’s special and that he will get them playing. He is deluding himself.
    He is gambling his job on getting Magennis fit. I wouldn’t put 50p on that.
    We just have to hope he comes to his senses in the next two weeks or we’ll have to hope the new manager sorts it in January.

You have called in right in the past Am hoping L J s comments after the Livi game mean he is now losing patience
    He said he was dissapointed with a few players and was critical we weren’t getting the ball played forward quickly enough ,with too many sideways passes slowing things up
    The question now is will Ron back up in this window to bring in at least one midfielder or will he have to wait till the next two windows
    I think with a few extra players and a few back from injury 4 th place is a possibility That should be all the motivation Ron needs

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Update on Magennis expected this week

https://t.co/EODmdWeRUF

Magennis update due this week, according to Patrick

Fingers crossed its positive. The way he started last season had us all buzzing

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Magennis update due this week, according to Patrick

Fingers crossed its positive. The way he started last season had us all buzzing
    It didn't have me buzzing.
    What were these games?
    He gets better each week he doesn't play.
    It's not his fault 're injuries but we signed him from St Mirren and he wasn't fit when he arrived at Easter Road.