hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jakesawers2008

Youan - Luxury we cant afford?

Fully aware i am going against the grain here and good chance I'll get slaughtered but is Elie a luxury we can do without?

The amount of times he gives the ball away in dangerous areas with slack passing or trying to beat every man on the pitch and getting caught out. He was caught out twice tonight that led to a goal and a counter attack in the 1st half. He offers very little defensively either tracking back or man marking where he can be often caught ball watching. He has been very hot and cold in the last few weeks offering very little going forward, Even in the Hearts game he only decided to show up when we were 2-0 down (Thankfully he did show up). With his price tag and ability is it wrong to want more from him?

The difference in work rate with Jair on the other side is night and day. I also thought Jair offered far more in the attacking sense tonight with getting to the by line and cutting the ball back at least 3 times . If we are going to continue with Elie i feel he should be played as a striker to get around his weaknesses and to get Boyle back on the right.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kentao View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fully aware i am going against the grain here and good chance I'll get slaughtered but is Elie a luxury we can do without?

The amount of times he gives the ball away in dangerous areas with slack passing or trying to beat every man on the pitch and getting caught out. He was caught out twice tonight that led to a goal and a counter attack in the 1st half. He offers very little defensively either tracking back or man marking where he can be often caught ball watching. He has been very hot and cold in the last few weeks offering very little going forward, Even in the Hearts game he only decided to show up when we were 2-0 down (Thankfully he did show up). With his price tag and ability is it wrong to want more from him?

The difference in work rate with Jair on the other side is night and day. I also thought Jair offered far more in the attacking sense tonight with getting to the by line and cutting the ball back at least 3 times . If we are going to continue with Elie i feel he should be played as a striker to get around his weaknesses and to get Boyle back on the right.
    We need him because he can do something out of nothing. He did it tonight - helped get us ahead with a bit of magic.

At that point though get him off. There were a number of options that could have shored things up if he had been subbed - most obvious is put on Lewis at LB then push Obita forward and switch Jair to the right. Jair has a good attitude and looks to have far better concentration defensively than Youan.

Agreed 100 %

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Youan was sublime at our 2nd goal and poor at our 2nd goal conceded

He's frustrating but I wouldn't take him out our team

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    This is where I want to see the manager work with him and improve these other parts of his game.

Now that won't happen overnight, but one of the big part of the his job is to improve the players we have. Youan has so much potential and is still fairly young. Ditto with Miller - both are excellent players but need to be much smarter in game. That is all stuff that they should be working on in training.

We also need some bodies on the bench that we can trust to help us see off games.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    We need him because he can do something out of nothing. He did it tonight - helped get us ahead with a bit of magic.

At that point though get him off. There were a number of options that could have shored things up if he had been subbed - most obvious is put on Lewis at LB then push Obita forward and switch Jair to the right. Jair has a good attitude and looks to have far better concentration defensively than Youan.
    Is that the same Stevenson who looked as if he’d never played left back before against Ross Co.?

You shouldn’t get slaughtered as you’re entitled to your opinion and have articulated it well.

I disagree though. I think he might be a player we can’t afford within a year or so. He’s one of our most gifted players and has come up with big moments for us too.. remains very important for me. By all accounts he played well tonight up until ‘that’ late incident.

He has got a lot of learning to do though. No doubt. But take Youan out our team and we’ll struggle even more for chances and excitement.

Not totally against the idea of him being up top though. Or, dare I say it, as part of a front 3.

He’s a match winner who does far more good than bad.

Also feel his decision making is improving this season.

Unfortunate moment tonight but it’s just the way things are going for the team in general. Youan is one of our best players - it’s that simple for me.

Hibs fans claim they want flair and excitement- he gives us that.

@hibs.net private member
    He is like Scott Allan for me. Different player yes but similar in that we lose the ball all the time when he is involved, he doesn't do enough off the ball, particularly when it is his fault we have lost it, but he is probably our most likely player to make something happen. I was never a great fan of Allan because I just don't accept players who don't at least try off the ball, I have a similar view of Elie. The difference is I think Elie will continue to improve and he certainly has the physique and engine to be a complete player. He just needs the heart and brain now to get there. I would say his form has went down recently and now Jair is playing well we can maybe sit Elie out for a game or two assuming Boyle can play.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post

Unfortunate moment tonight but it’s just the way things are going for the team in general. Youan is one of our best players - it’s that simple for me.

Yep, I love watching him and am willing to excuse his (regular) brain farts

I wouldn’t say as much a luxury we can’t afford. More he can’t play wide right in a 4-4-2 as he has little defensive abilities and also loses the ball too deep by trying too much with the ball (see tonight).

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Absolutely need him playing every week. The skill for the 2nd goal was top drawer.

He lost the ball on the half way line for their 2nd, but the defending after that was abysmal.

One of the few Hibs players who can produce something out of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Is that the same Stevenson who looked as if he’d never played left back before against Ross Co.?
    The 2nd goal Lewis got caught between marking the winger and the full back cause youann hadn't bothered his arse to defend.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post

Saved me typing. 100%

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    The 2nd goal Lewis got caught between marking the winger and the full back cause youann hadn't bothered his arse to defend.
    Exactly.

Obita has cost us 2 goals in the last 2 games - could be time for Lewis to come back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    I wouldn’t say as much a luxury we can’t afford. More he can’t play wide right in a 4-4-2 as he has little defensive abilities and also loses the ball too deep by trying too much with the ball (see tonight).
    Agree. Up to the manager to start getting more out of him again.

I’d play him up front. He’s the only one under NM who hasn’t been tried there. I think when we signed him he played and scored in the friendly over in Spain I think.

I think he could do a job through the middle with Vente especially if alf and doidge are out

Someone described him a few weeks ago as our best player and our worst player often in the same game.

This sums him up perfectly!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Thought he was very good tonight unfortunate miscontrol at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    I’d play him up front. He’s the only one under NM who hasn’t been tried there. I think when we signed him he played and scored in the friendly over in Spain I think.

I think he could do a job through the middle with Vente especially if alf and doidge are out
    I think this is a great shout.

Remember last year when Nisbet got injured he actually played up front for a run of games before he got sent off at Celtic in March. He got 5 goals in 5 games as a striker through the middle before that Celtic game.

Exactly.

Obita has cost us 2 goals in the last 2 games - could be time for Lewis to come back in.
    The penalty decision was laughable to be fair

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I think he’s an asset but deserves a spell out of the side at the moment if we had any viable alternatives. Probably same for Boyle.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    The penalty decision was laughable to be fair
    It was a clear tug from Obita so on that alone no complaints. That's a foul and penalty all day long.

The question is though that was there other fouls going on in the box before that against Hibs players? If so then should not be a pen.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Forwards lose balls all the time, yes it was frustrating (as was his pass on Saturday that led to the Aberdeen goal) but the defending after it was what caused the goal imo. Youan frustrates the hell out of me but without him we wouldn’t have scored 2 tonight.

It was a clear tug from Obita so on that alone no complaints. That's a foul and penalty all day long.

The question is though that was there other fouls going on in the box before that against Hibs players? If so then should not be a pen.
    Nah incredibly soft decision. Nowhere near the ball minor tug boy dives. If that is a pen there should be ten a game.

Nah incredibly soft decision. Nowhere near the ball minor tug boy dives. If that is a pen there should be ten a game.
    Amazes me that people watch games through such green tinted specs. It's a foul and a penalty every day of the week and has been since the introduction of Var. There are penalties like that throughout Scotland and England on a regular basis. Absolutely stupid from Obita.

Amazes me that people watch games through such green tinted specs. It's a foul and a penalty every day of the week and has been since the introduction of Var. There are penalties like that throughout Scotland and England on a regular basis. Absolutely stupid from Obita.
    Don't see it but you disagree that is fine. See much much worse fouls in the box ignored. Just because Rangers got one like that doesn't mean other teams should. Compare the pen on Saturday with that one.

Don't see it but you disagree that is fine. See much much worse fouls in the box ignored. Just because Rangers got one like that doesn't mean other teams should. Compare the pen on Saturday with that one.
    You cant pull a guys shirt in the box these days - it's really that simple.

You cant pull a guys shirt in the box these days - it's really that simple.
    Then why do so many players not get pulled up for it simply because they all are not penalties.

Then why do so many players not get pulled up for it simply because they all are not penalties.
    Show me a similar incident that wasn't given as a penalty recently.