hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn't you are right not sure I see a half hearted approach but poor mistakes beiing punished which will hopefully get better when we play together more. Not getting away from it last season was very poor and a very poor second appointment when a gamble was made on an inexperienced coach. Johnson is experienced and needs to be given time to develop a culture of his own and bring in players. It appears he has very good contacts so hopefully he brings in a few more prior to the end of the window though he is hamstrung a little with the contractual position of some of the players especially if little interest in them from other clubs. What would help is a bit more understanding of the job Johnson has got? We were getting a deserved point prior to a very poor mistake at a free kick. It happens. Other factors like Boyle pen, Hanlon pen red card they should have had. Very little chat about that
    Fair points. While I'm not seeing things your way right now I hope your cautious optimism proves justified.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Great report as always mate. But i must have missed the Hanlon red card penalty incident?

Front three of Youan - Nouble - Boyle would be amazing i think. The big man holding it up and two speed merchants running off him. I know we are over budget but personally I’d free cash up by getting rid of McGeady and Doidge. Nothing wrong with admitting we made a mistake. Worse thing is to carry on hoping they might come good.

And please - for the love of Christ - will someone please do something about Hanlon. That ‘tackle’ for the first goal should be enough for any manager to bin him. My niece is stronger in the tackle and she’s nine. He’s been done for at least six years.

Quote Originally Posted by Colinton Hibby View Post
    Great report as always mate. But i must have missed the Hanlon red card penalty incident?

Front three of Youan - Nouble - Boyle would be amazing i think. The big man holding it up and two speed merchants running off him. I know we are over budget but personally I’d free cash up by getting rid of McGeady and Doidge. Nothing wrong with admitting we made a mistake. Worse thing is to carry on hoping they might come good.

And please - for the love of Christ - will someone please do something about Hanlon. That ‘tackle’ for the first goal should be enough for any manager to bin him. My niece is stronger in the tackle and she’s nine. He’s been done for at least six years.
    Explain how we're going to free up cash getting rid of McGeady and Doidge.

15 grand a week in wages lost at the moment?

15 grand a week in wages lost at the moment?
    They will just leave,, under contract then.😳

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    We played well and were totally dominant for the majority of the second half.
    Are you serious? We played well.
    Do you realise just how bad we are.
    It's going to be a long winter and sadly and I mean sadly we're going to finish miles behind our city rivals.
    I know I'll take stick but it's the truth.

Ron: "Aiden, Christian, we've made a mistake. Any chance we could cancel your contracts with immediate effect?"

McGeady & Doidge: "Sounds good, where do we sign?"

We should be circulating clubs in League One in England as to which players the club would listen to offers. If that sounds harsh, then that's tough. That first half was dreadful and we look the same team as last season - overly reliant on Martin Boyle, while the recruitment in between him leaving and returning lacks any kind of coherence.

The only one out of all the players we have signed who looks the real deal is Youan; Kenneh has been average, the right back Miller isn't a first pick, Bojan is an out and out punt, and Jair is so lightweight and easily brushed off the ball it's embarrassing.

I wonder if anyone was challenged at the club as to who our designated playmaker is, who they would answer with - Newell? Henderson? I get the impression we'll bring in nobody up front as they'll argue we're well stocked for players and we've got Nisbet coming back sometime in November. Until then we'll need to just suck it up with a half-fit and half-arsed Doidge making zero impression. We also look like we've got one goal in us in a game, that's alright if you've got a resolute defence that gives nothing away, but we flung in two cheap ones yesterday and look short in there as well.

Before the "transition" and "work in progress" tropes are rolled out, how come our mates across the city didn't need to go through a transitional period - it wouldn't be because they sign established players that know this league, would it?

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Ron: "Aiden, Christian, we've made a mistake. Any chance we could cancel your contracts with immediate effect?"

McGeady & Doidge: "Sounds good, where do we sign?"

Well done. Obviously thats not what I meant. Maybe we could be grown up about it and say to the players and their agents they wont be featuring this season and to go out and try and find another club. If that doesn’t happen and we’re stuck with them, then so be it.

But maybe try and do something about the problem rather than continuing to play them and get absolutely nowhere. Yes I know McGeady hasn’t played too many times for us but anyone that has seen him will know instantly he’s got great feet but no legs.

Its just an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    We should be circulating clubs in League One in England as to which players the club would listen to offers. If that sounds harsh, then that's tough. That first half was dreadful and we look the same team as last season - overly reliant on Martin Boyle, while the recruitment in between him leaving and returning lacks any kind of coherence.

The only one out of all the players we have signed who looks the real deal is Youan; Kenneh has been average, the right back Miller isn't a first pick, Bojan is an out and out punt, and Jair is so lightweight and easily brushed off the ball it's embarrassing.

I wonder if anyone was challenged at the club as to who our designated playmaker is, who they would answer with - Newell? Henderson? I get the impression we'll bring in nobody up front as they'll argue we're well stocked for players and we've got Nisbet coming back sometime in November. Until then we'll need to just suck it up with a half-fit and half-arsed Doidge making zero impression. We also look like we've got one goal in us in a game, that's alright if you've got a resolute defence that gives nothing away, but we flung in two cheap ones yesterday and look short in there as well.

Before the "transition" and "work in progress" tropes are rolled out, how come our mates across the city didn't need to go through a transitional period - it wouldn't be because they sign established players that know this league, would it?
    Youan
    Marshall
    Boyle
    McGeady
    Cabraja

Are all really good signings to me, McGeady’s injury is unfortunate as he was getting upto speed.

Kenneh - Looks really positive especially given his age/experience
    Jair - Looks like he’ll take quite a while to adapt, wouldn’t be against a 6 month loan
    Bojang - Has had two really good chances in limited time. Don’t expect much from a signing from Rainbow FC.
    Miller - I like the look of although has been a bit inconsistent but bear in mind he never had a break this summer. I think he’ll be our first choice right back before long.

Well done. Obviously thats not what I meant. Maybe we could be grown up about it and say to the players and their agents they wont be featuring this season and to go out and try and find another club. If that doesn’t happen and we’re stuck with them, then so be it.

But maybe try and do something about the problem rather than continuing to play them and get absolutely nowhere. Yes I know McGeady hasn’t played too many times for us but anyone that has seen him will know instantly he’s got great feet but no legs.

Its just an opinion.
    Well you did say we should get rid of them and admit we made a mistake. So to say that to McGeady who hasn't even been with us 2 months and has just been injured and is expected to be out for up to 3 months, so to follow it up with "you're not going to feature much go find another club" would make us look pretty stupid and unprofessional. What do you think his reaction would likely be? Supposedly (per posts on here so may or may not be accurate) Doidge was told he could find another club but he wanted to stay and fight for his place.

You suggested we just get rid of them, as if it easy like some kind of football manager game, and free up 15k of wages. Which incidentally you stated as if it was a fact. Have you got a source for those wages or is it guesswork/made up?
    Last edited by 007; 14-08-2022 at 10:06 PM.

Since the Budge era began at the start of season 14/15, this season is the 1st season they haven't had a high turnover of players so arguably had 8 transitional seasons in a row.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hear...fers/verein/43

If they are your benchmark you want us to aspire to then maybe you'd better strap in.

Since the Budge era began at the start of season 14/15, this season is the 1st season they haven't had a high turnover of players so arguably had 8 transitional seasons in a row.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hear...fers/verein/43

If they are your benchmark you want us to aspire to then maybe you'd better strap in.
    Their professional recruitment team (copying the way we set it up it under George Craig) has been in place for the last 18 months. My big worry is that they actually replace Robbie Replay with someone that is good.

Attendance

Did anyone see or hear what the attendance was ta the game? It may have been mentioned elsewhere but I did not see it.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

I imagine we will be doing that for any players the manager wants to move on. I think/hope there will be significant movement in the last few parts of the window.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Hanlon and Doidge are finished at this level, Nouble went round Hanlon like he wasn't even there, it was embarrassing defending from the most experienced man on the park. Doidge contributed nothing again. He's still got another 2 years of extracting a wage fro Hibs. Frightening.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    That may be the case - but the first five and last five minutes of the game suggest to me that there are serious mental/attitude problems among some of the squad?
    Are you forgetting about the two last minute goals we have scored in the previous two games? Barring a sitter it would have been yet another one. Absolutley nothing wrong with the players mentality or attitute. We bossed them second half, had 25 shots on goal, numerous corners and most of the ball. The issue was our first half performance. It obviously wasn't good enough but it happens. To their credit they reacted second half and we were undone by a mistake. The reaction to Saturday is what i've come to expect on this site now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Hanlon and Doidge are finished at this level, Nouble went round Hanlon like he wasn't even there, it was embarrassing defending from the most experienced man on the park. Doidge contributed nothing again. He's still got another 2 years of extracting a wage fro Hibs. Frightening.
    Many of us expressed our concern about Hanlon before the game and were unfortunatley bang on the money. It would have been more of a surprise if he'd delt with the boy. Seen it time and time again with big physical strikers.

Well you did say we should get rid of them and admit we made a mistake. So to say that to McGeady who hasn't even been with us 2 months and has just been injured and is expected to be out for up to 3 months, so to follow it up with "you're not going to feature much go find another club" would make us look pretty stupid and unprofessional. What do you think his reaction would likely be? Supposedly (per posts on here so may or may not be accurate) Doidge was told he could find another club but he wanted to stay and fight for his place.

You suggested we just get rid of them, as if it easy like some kind of football manager game, and free up 15k of wages. Which incidentally you stated as if it was a fact. Have you got a source for those wages or is it guesswork/made up?

Fair enough. I’m not bothered what McGeady’s reaction would be. My prime concern is my team, and he’s not good enough for us anymore. And i bet Doidge wanted to stay as any move would be downwards, but again he is not good enough for us. And yes of course I’m not privy to the club’s wage structure. Maybe i should have said approximately. That help you out?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Are you forgetting about the two last minute goals we have scored in the previous two games? Barring a sitter it would have been yet another one. Absolutley nothing wrong with the players mentality or attitute. We bossed them second half, had 25 shots on goal, numerous corners and most of the ball. The issue was our first half performance. It obviously wasn't good enough but it happens. To their credit they reacted second half and we were undone by a mistake. The reaction to Saturday is what i've come to expect on this site now.
    The reaction isn’t just to Saturday though, no matter how many times people say it.

The reaction is to watching the same players and the same positions on the pitch let us down time and time again without the club bothering their arse to fix it.

@hibs.net private member
    Many of us expressed our concern about Hanlon before the game and were unfortunatley bang on the money. It would have been more of a surprise if he'd delt with the boy. Seen it time and time again with big physical strikers.
    Hanlon dealt with the physical side pretty well on Saturday. He got outdone by a striker running at pace straight at him and no support to help him. Porteous was done in exactly the same way when Cadden made a mess of controlling the ball a wee while later. Ryan isn't returning off a long term injury but I can see too much critisism of him.

Souter really struggled physically with Nouble when The Rangers played Livi, Hanlon dealt with him well overall and although he had a big part to play in Nouble's goal he effectively became the last man and back peddled hoping Cabraja or Kenneh may break out of a job to help him when both had made errors leading to Nouble getting possession. His attempted tackle wasn't great but he only had a part to play in that goal and was one of three players who did very poorly. Kenneh I would say was most at fault for making little effort to get back but Cabraja wasn't much better

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Hanlon dealt with the physical side pretty well on Saturday. He got outdone by a striker running at pace straight at him and no support to help him. Porteous was done in exactly the same way when Cadden made a mess of controlling the ball a wee while later. Ryan isn't returning off a long term injury but I can see too much critisism of him.

Souter really struggled physically with Nouble when The Rangers played Livi, Hanlon dealt with him well overall and although he had a big part to play in Nouble's goal he effectively became the last man and back peddled hoping Cabraja or Kenneh may break out of a job to help him when both had made errors leading to Nouble getting possession. His attempted tackle wasn't great but he only had a part to play in that goal and was one of three players who did very poorly. Kenneh I would say was most at fault for making little effort to get back but Cabraja wasn't much better
    Nouble doesn’t run at pace past anyone he literally walked past him

Poor from Hanlon but he did come onto a game

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Hanlon got done for the goal, but it had nowt to do with the boy being big and physical. It was just terrible defending. Other than that, he played well enough, and dealt with the big guy.

Like someone else has mentioned, Porteous got rinsed by him too, but we didn’t lose a goal that time fortunately.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Nouble doesn’t run at pace past anyone he literally walked past him

Poor from Hanlon but he did come onto a game
    I thought that too but there were a couple of times in the game he looked slow but was leaving players like Cadden behind him. He may not be a speedster but he isn't as slow as he looks
    Last edited by wookie70; 15-08-2022 at 04:31 PM.

I thought that too but there were a couple of times in the game he looked slow but was leaving players like Cadden behind him. He ay not be a speedster but he isn't as slow as he looks
    My granny could have pulled him down outside the box and she’s been deid for 30 years

A shocking goal to lose all round as was the second

Agree 100% with this assessment. Absolutely no covering defensive support for Hanlon and slow to sense the danger of their teammate being done.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    My granny could have pulled him down outside the box and she’s been deid for 30 years

A shocking goal to lose all round as was the second
    He would have been red carded and it was really early in the game. His biggest mistake, for me at least, was back pedalling in the hope Cabraja or Kenneh would burst a gut to get back. If they had he would have been last man and either player that made the initial errors could have taken a booking for the team. The goal was symptomatic of a truly awful, lacklustre performance in the first half where the team never made any effort and looked like they had never et. Given this was Hanlon's first time playing with many of them he was one of the few who had an excuse. Saying all that his attempted tackle was with the wrong foot and it looked to come from a player who was not up to speed after a long injury. He is still our best CH in my opinion and if he is allowed to get fit he will do well again this season

He would have been red carded and it was really early in the game. His biggest mistake, for me at least, was back pedalling in the hope Cabraja or Kenneh would burst a gut to get back. If they had he would have been last man and either player that made the initial errors could have taken a booking for the team. The goal was symptomatic of a truly awful, lacklustre performance in the first half where the team never made any effort and looked like they had never et. Given this was Hanlon's first time playing with many of them he was one of the few who had an excuse. Saying all that his attempted tackle was with the wrong foot and it looked to come from a player who was not up to speed after a long injury. He is still our best CH in my opinion and if he is allowed to get fit he will do well again this season
    Kenneh could have caught him if he bust a gut

Hanlon goes in for the tackle with his left foot rather than standing his ground as the big fella skips past his right side after shaping up to go that way a rookie mistake probably down to rustiness and left Hanlon beating the ground in frustration

Agree I still rate Hanlon

https://youtu.be/jWiri7sWWgg
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 15-08-2022 at 05:27 PM.

"His attempted tackle wasn't great" is literally the understatement of the century. If rocky had been beat like that and dived in, all hell would have broke loose on here.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    "His attempted tackle wasn't great" is literally the understatement of the century. If rocky had been beat like that and dived in, all hell would have broke loose on here.
    Probably true but some players suffer far more from abuse than others. I'd also say Porteous' attempted tackle was equally as bad in a similar situation. Paul made a mistake, he knew it and I think rustiness had a big part to play. Kenneh and Cabraja were more to blame imo but like many goals it takes a few players to make a mistake for a goal to be scored. I've not seen the foul for their winner but that looked a stupid foul from Cabraja to me and shocking marking from Doidge. I hope Hanlon hasn't done himself any damage as he looked like he was struggling later on. I think he is our best CH but there surely isn't any doubt that he is our best left CH. He needs someone to compete for his position and has done for a while.