hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

Curling- Eve Muirhead

Eve Muirhead retires, some career she's had and will be a huge miss, she certainly goes out on a high

and still only 32

Eve Muirhead retires from curling as Olympic, European and world mixed doubles champion - BBC Sport

2. Log in to remove the advert

One of Scotland's finest ever sporting ambassadors. I'm surprised she's only 32 but I guess that's testament to how long she's been at the top of her sport.

@hibs.net private member
    Allegedly taking up golf
    She plays of scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Allegedly taking up golf
    She plays of scratch
    Really? Bit like Ash Barty the brilliant Aussie tennis player, another recent early retiree.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Really? Bit like Ash Barty the brilliant Aussie tennis player, another recent early retiree.
    How come sportsman/woman are good at more than one event.

Callum Davidson, the manager at St Johnstone, still dwells on the four sports he excelled in as a teenager.

In two, football and golf, he represented his country in international competition. In the others, tennis and squash, he might also have been capped had his football career not taken off.

"I'll always remember Callum as a tennis player, not a footballer," says Judy Murray, Andy's mother, who coached Davidson as a teenager. "I still cry when talking about my first big success as a tennis coach, just because of what it meant to me - winning the Scottish schools championship with Dunblane High in the early 1990s. Callum was on my team."

Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    How come sportsman/woman are good at more than one event.

Callum Davidson, the manager at St Johnstone, still dwells on the four sports he excelled in as a teenager.

In two, football and golf, he represented his country in international competition. In the others, tennis and squash, he might also have been capped had his football career not taken off.

"I'll always remember Callum as a tennis player, not a footballer," says Judy Murray, Andy's mother, who coached Davidson as a teenager. "I still cry when talking about my first big success as a tennis coach, just because of what it meant to me - winning the Scottish schools championship with Dunblane High in the early 1990s. Callum was on my team."
    If you're naturally sporty/blessed with good rhythm you're likely to take to a lot of sports more easily than most. One of my kids is a bit like that, just picks things up really naturally. Andy and Jamie Murray were also excellent footballers when they were growing up. Think Andy was offered a contract at Rangers.

There are a number of sportsmen and women who have represented their country at more than one sport.