hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Turnbull’s Tornadoes

Turnbull’s Tornadoes at the festival.
    https://www.eltevents.live/event-det...bulls-tornados
    Anybody else got tickets for this daughter sent me the link booked tickets at the weekend .
    There is also an event with Pat Stanton and Hibs in the 80’s

2. Log in to remove the advert

Picked up tickets last week.

Looking forward to it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Purchased two tickets last Friday

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Really enjoyed this tonight

A trip down memory lane

They all agreed that Turnbull split the side up too early

Who knew ?

The difference between recent Hibs teams and the Tornadoes?

The Tornadoes passed the ball forward 😀

Future legend in the current Hibs team 40 years from now ?

Ryan Porteous

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really enjoyed this tonight

A trip down memory lane

They all agreed that Turnbull split the side up too early

Who knew ?

The difference between recent Hibs teams and the Tornadoes?

The Tornadoes passed the ball forward 😀

Future legend in the current Hibs team 40 years from now ?

Ryan Porteous
    Well Lewis is the only player to win 2 different cups since pre the tornadoes, so him

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Well Lewis is the only player to win 2 different cups since pre the tornadoes, so him
    Aye to be fair Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon were all backed as rightful legends

Daz anaw

Porto still has work to do 😀

Enjoyable evening.

Always nice to hear from legends and good to hear all have now been invited onboard as club ambassadors.

Great night. As someone who just missed out on seeing the Tornadoes in their pomp, I loved listening to them. Plenty humour and fitba wisdom, and the camaraderie between the 4 who were on stage tonight seems undiminished by time.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Great night. As someone who just missed out on seeing the Tornadoes in their pomp, I loved listening to them. Plenty humour and fitba wisdom, and the camaraderie between the 4 who were on stage tonight seems undiminished by time.
    Fantastic to hear. Hope they had a healthy crowd in, they deserve it

Blog Entries

Who were the 4?

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Who were the 4?
    Mickey Onion Sloop and The King

Bumped into Sloop in the Toilets after and he hadn’t heard the story of Wee Jimmy nipping away from the NB to the Grassmarket to his Grandad’s local to give him his Scottish League Cup winners medal

@hibs.net private member
    Really enjoyed it. They were the team I was brought up watching, just a pity I was to young to appreciate how great they were. Must have had a lasting effect though as 50 odd years I'm still supporting Hibs. Great to see them looking well and obviously still having a lot of affection for the Hibees.

Some really interesting and entertaining views and stories as you might imagine, but I was a bit surprised to hear Sloop's reply to a question about how they'd all cope in today's game. He said he thought he'd struggle as he wasn't the quickest, and one of his main assets was his tackling but that might not be such an advantage in the modern era! Very honest (and modest) assessment.

Blog Entries
    Mickey Onion Sloop and The King
    Thanks, 4 great players.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Fantastic to hear. Hope they had a healthy crowd in, they deserve it
    Couldn't have been far of being full. Loads of well known faces in.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Some really interesting and entertaining views and stories as you might imagine, but I was a bit surprised to hear Sloop's reply to a question about how they'd all cope in today's game. He said he thought he'd struggle as he wasn't the quickest, and one of his main assets was his tackling but that might not be such an advantage in the modern era! Very honest (and modest) assessment.
    Sloop as someone pointed out was a great reader of the game and probably the best Sweeper in Scotland if not the UK - so good he was preferred to King Paddy in that position

I agree very modest but doing himself a disservice

Had to laugh at the keepie uppie question as I remember getting down to Easter Road early to watch his warm up routine that would end with him balancing the ball on his foot flicking it up onto the back of his neck and booting the ball into the empty net

Halcyon days

@hibs.net private member
    Very enjoyable, all 4 looking well.
    The Tornadoes were the Hibs team I was brought up with and was great to hear there stories.
    Think it was John Blackley who was a bit surprised of how well thought of the Tornadoes still are and thanked us for coming to see them.
    Last edited by h1bs4life; 17-08-2022 at 06:16 AM.

How to improve the current squad?

“ Pay for better players “

Pat Stanton

Pat Stanton
    They were great to watch and Pat Stanton is correct, it is as simple as that.

Bumped into Sloop in the Toilets after and he hadn’t heard the story of Wee Jimmy nipping away from the NB to the Grassmarket to his Grandad’s local to give him his Scottish League Cup winners medal
    The pub in question being St Giles Bar, fit o the West Port/corner of 'market.
    Most here may have known it as the Fiddlers Arms.
    Aye Jimmy left what is now known as The Balmoral.(old North British)
    I think he went down to the back door/lift to the railway station.
    He jumped in a taxi and when he got to the pub,it was mobbed.
    The St Giles bus left from the Market back then and of course the area was mostly Hibsland at the time.
    Anyway,the whole shebang burst into a chorus of the Hibs Song when Jimmy appeared.
    And yes ,he gave our grandad Jimmy Devlin his medal.
    When he got a taxi back to the hotel,i dont think anyone noticed he had left.
    So busy ! So explains Sloop not being aware he nipped away.
    It truth told, Jimmy would have prefered the team to have went to the Grassmarket with him.
    A raucous night !!

And a "lock in"

Edit
    Good job Turnbull didnae ken Jimmy done a B1 or he might have docked him a weeks wages!!

Wae Eddie,it was "my way or the highway"
    That was part of his downfall imo
    Stubborn he was.That puts it mildly !
    A great coach though.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 17-08-2022 at 12:33 PM.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar

Pat Stanton
    Sounds easy, but it really isn’t if you don’t have a lot of money to spend. We don’t have a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    Sounds easy, but it really isn’t if you don’t have a lot of money to spend. We don’t have a lot of money.
    I agree
    I would have been a bit frustrated if i had asked the question and got that answer!! RG has not been shy with the pennies !!

Its how to improve the "current squad" is a task LJ has to undertake and i am hopeful he will, given time and full strength squad back in contention.
    Of course,there will always be injuries,but we certainly have had our fair share.
    Particularly long term ones for key players.

Maybe someone could rephrase the question to Pat at the next game and save themselves £15
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 17-08-2022 at 11:54 AM.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I suspect our board would disagree with you. We seem to have spent plenty, it's just that it's being directed at promising youngsters rather than first team ready players.

With regard to the Tornadoes, wish I had gone. I would love to have met Alex Edwards, he's a guy who hasn't featured much in interviews or events in the past. The other three I have had the pleasure of meeting. Modest, self effacing and very worthy of the legend status accorded to them (although all are no doubt a wee bit embarrassed by it).

With regard to how they would adapt to modern game. I ahve no doubt that their talent and ability would see them all rise to the top. Sadly though, none of them would have spent the best years of their careers at Hibs (possibly debateable with Edwards).

I get the feeling that if the right player became available at the right price and he would improve us significantly I don’t think Ron the Don would think twice

Don’t think he is short of a few bob spending fortunes on the Development Squad which hopefully will bear fruit

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    The pub in question being St Giles Bar, fit o the West Port/corner of 'market.
    Most here may have known it as the Fiddlers Arms.
    Aye Jimmy left what is now known as The Balmoral.(old North British)
    I think he went down to the back door/lift to the railway station.
    He jumped in a taxi and when he got to the pub,it was mobbed.
    The St Giles bus left from the Market back then and of course the area was mostly Hibsland at the time.
    Anyway,the whole shebang burst into a chorus of the Hibs Song when Jimmy appeared.
    And yes ,he gave our grandad Jimmy Devlin his medal.
    When he got a taxi back to the hotel,i dont think anyone noticed he had left.
    So busy ! So explains Sloop not being aware he nipped away.
    It truth told, Jimmy would have prefered the team to have went to the Grassmarket with him.
    A raucous night !!

And a "lock in"
    Thanks Mick was starting to think it was a dotnet fact judging by the puzzled look on Sloop’s face

The conversation started when he told me how much he hates interviews and I mentioned the famous interview after the League Cup Final with Paddy when he was like a rabbit in the headlights and he got pelters for it back in the NB when the Squad watched the highlights on Sportscene or whatever it was called back then

I agree
    I would have been a bit frustrated if i had asked the question and got that answer!! RG has not been shy with the pennies !!

Its how to improve the "current squad" is a task LJ has to undertake and i am hopeful he will, given time and full strength squad back in contention.
    Of course,there will always be injuries,but we certainly have had our fair share.
    Particularly long term ones for key players.

Maybe someone could rephrase the question to Pat at the next game and save themselves £15
    To be fair to Pat, from memory he said a bit more than that in the general discussions (there was more than one) about the current team. He also said near the start that it's difficult when you have several players who would likely be first picks out injured/ suspended at the same time as the replacements might be of a lesser quality (this isn't verbatim, but along these lines). I got the impression he has some sympathy with LJ's current circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I suspect our board would disagree with you. We seem to have spent plenty, it's just that it's being directed at promising youngsters rather than first team ready players.

With regard to the Tornadoes, wish I had gone. I would love to have met Alex Edwards, he's a guy who hasn't featured much in interviews or events in the past. The other three I have had the pleasure of meeting. Modest, self effacing and very worthy of the legend status accorded to them (although all are no doubt a wee bit embarrassed by it).

With regard to how they would adapt to modern game. I ahve no doubt that their talent and ability would see them all rise to the top. Sadly though, none of them would have spent the best years of their careers at Hibs (possibly debateable with Edwards).
    Jimmy and Pat had already been at the club about 9/10 years before Turnbull became manager.
    Eddie was the trainer/coach at Hibs when they signed.
    Sloop,Onion(Newcastle) and Sojer (Arsenal/Villa)went down South and did no to bad.
    Still remembered by older fans of Newcastle and Villa.
    Edwards had "gained" a bad rep for indiscipline(red cards) at Dunfermline.
    More bad press back then for Alex.
    More so than Ryan has been getting recently.
    It was said back then he was on rAngers radar before he joined Hibs.
    Maybe he should have went to ibrox .
    He would have won more penalties and received fewer cards .
    Refs huvnae changed !!
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 17-08-2022 at 12:48 PM.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Jimmy and Pat had already been at the club about 9/10 years before Turnbull became manager.
    Eddie was the trainer/coach at Hibs when they signed.
    Sloop,Onion and Sojer went down South and did no bad.
    Edwards had "gained" a bad rep for indiscipline(red cards) at Dunfermline.
    More bad press back then for Alex.
    More so than Ryan has been getting recently.
    It was said back then he was on rAngers radar before he joined Hibs.
    Maybe he should have went to ibrox .
    He would have won more penalties and received fewer cards .
    Refs huvnae changed !!
    When Brownlie and Blackley left they were in their late 20's. Hibs defo had them throughout their prime.

Another noticeable factor was our general reluctance to sell players to the Old Firm. Cropley went to Arsenal, Bremner to Villa, Brownlie and Blackley to Newcastle. Stanton to Celtic was different, Pat was at the veteran stage of his career (I'll ignore Turnbull's bizarre swap of Iain Munro for Fyfe and Scott, WTF was that about).

I remember Edwards signing, the fee was like £12,000. His career trajectory must have dipped a lot by then, as had Dunfermline's team standing. If he had gone to Ibrox, then he wouldn't have to have suffered the attentions of Diddy McDonald at least. Eight game ban for throwing a ball away, talk about injustice. Meanwhile it was alright for our opponents to boot the **** out of him every week .

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post

A quick look at Wiki tells you that all four spent the best years of their careers and longest spells with any one club at Hibs

Was pleased for Pat that he managed to win some medals in his twilight years albeit ended prematurely due to injury